Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

I got a 14Sg the other day, set it up with Ianwood's profile, tested and flown out to 1600m. It's fantastic. Highly recommended if anyone is on the fence. The smooth gimbal control alone is worth it.

I've made a couple program modifications to make it more intuitive for me, but deciphering the instruction manual (which I've tried to read 2x now) to complete the rest of what I'd like to do is proving difficult for my mental midgetness despite watching and reading all I can find on it.. :lol:

so far, I've switched manual Gimbal control to the LS instead of RS because it's easier for me.. and, I put the 3-position tilt on SE instead of SB because I didn't like "reaching" over SA to toggle positions as I accidentally hit SA/IOC occasionally while wearing goggles. Moving tilt functions to SE and LS gives all gimbal operation to my Left pointer finger without looking or worrying about hitting/changing SA/ IOC.

for lever switch; LINKAGE >FUNCTION, then change GEAR control from RS to LS
for SB to SE switch; LINKAGE >FUNCTION, then change MOT control from SB to SE

Following Ianwoods advice to DesertFlyer, the other thing I managed to do was reverse LD's function so that if you turn the dial left, the Phantom yaws left. Turn dial right, craft yaws right. LINKAGE>FUNCTION>RUDDER, select LD, then set rate from 30% to -30%.. works perfectly and is more intuitive for me.

There are 2 things I'd like to do now but they don't appear as straight forward as the changes I've already made.

1. I'd like to move SA/ IOC functions to the SB switch and leave SA empty to help prevent accidental changes and also, SA would be empty for possible future gimbal control options, keeping all Gimbal controls accessible by one finger. e.g. a 0-22.5-45 smooth tilt possibly? (EDIT: figured how to move SA/ IOC functions to the SB switch and leave SA empty)
2. I'd like to switch the triple rate functions from SC to SD and move SD's GPS/ATTI/MAN function to SC, also to help prevent accidental changes..

Any help with that would be greatly appreciated!! I think I might be able to figure it out, but more than anything, scared of messing up what I've already been able to do :? Reading this, and other Futaba threads has been more beneficial than the actual manual. Thank you.

Mike,

Glad to hear you are also grooving on the 14SG. Try setting your tilt channel 5 (aka "gear") servo speed to 26. It makes for MUCH smoother tilts. I tried 25 and 27 as well, and 26 is the sweet spot for me. My next goal is left slider set up for camera tilt in the 0 to 45 degree range.

And yes, the manual is tough to digest...

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
Mike,

Glad to hear you are also grooving on the 14SG. Try setting your tilt channel 5 (aka "gear") servo speed to 26. It makes for MUCH smoother tilts. I tried 25 and 27 as well, and 26 is the sweet spot for me. My next goal is left slider set up for camera tilt in the 0 to 45 degree range.

Kelly

Kelly, I'll give the servo speed a try.. I think I can figure out how to do that. Right now it's reeeally slow and smooth. I'd actually like to speed it up a hair.. I'm not sure what it's set on at the moment. I was thinking it was already on 26 or 27 right now. It's set at whatever Ianwoods profile v4 is set at.

As for the gimbal tilt you describe, I'd love to have a 3 position switch for 0-22.5-45 degrees while also keeping the current SB switch at 0-45-90..

I wonder if it's possible to have one of the two remaining unused three-position switches tilt as 0-22.5-45 AND 45-67.5-90, dependent on where the SB switch is? In other words, the slider ( side of your choice) is master, then the regular SB 0-45-90 switch is slave to that.. and then, one of the currently unused switches gives you 3 position control within those 0-45 and 45-90 ranges, depending where SB is. i.e. forward or back.

Essentially, between 2 switches, you would have access to 0-22.5-45-67.5-90, all slow and smooth, and one of the sliders could get you to anywhere, 0-90, the quickest. Maybe that's too complicated or not even possible, but seems to be a simple way to have smoooooth, consistent speed of tilt, to 5 positions instead of 3..

I may not have the terminology right, but hopefully that made sense.. lol rocket science to me, so far.

Okay, now I am really confused about the P2/H3-3D/14SG interplay of: 1) Servo Speed on Ch 5; 2) the 0/45/90 switch for camera tilt; 3) the right side slider; and 4) (and perhaps most importantly) the DJI Assistant calibration of controls. I somehow ended up in a mode where the right side slider only did 0 and 90, and nothing in between. I reset Servo Speed to 0 (the default before I started playing with it), re-calibrated the right side slider in the Assistant, didn't use the 3-position switch during Assistant calibration, and then in the Assistant played with the gimbal gain. It was defaulted at 50, and with a few experiments, I determined that 5 was a very smooth setting. So for the moment, Servo Speed is back to 0, and gimbal gain is set to 5. Right side slider is smooth as butter through 0 to 90 once again. If anyone else has been through this, and can explain the interplay of these various inputs, please do so, as I cannot. I do know that what I have now is very workable, best setting yet, and hopefully tomorrow I will try some of Mike's ideas for shallower tilt range on left side slider. I am also thinking setting up the right side volume knob for 0 to 30 degrees of tilt might be interesting as well.

On a related note, a shim (FedEx envelope) under the two left side gimbal base plate screws has apparently solved my tilted horizon issue.

Kelly

I don't have a 14SG so no servo speed setting or 3D gimbal so no gain setting in the Phantom Assistant. Regardless, the one thing that is important for calibration in the Phantom Assistant is having SB in the middle and just using RS.

ianwood said:
I don't have a 14SG so no servo speed setting or 3D gimbal so no gain setting in the Phantom Assistant. Regardless, the one thing that is important for calibration in the Phantom Assistant is having SB in the middle and just using RS.

Like others have said before, I'm all for putting some $$ towards a 14sg...- in the interest of "science"..lol. To develop the ultimate Phantom profile.. It's already great.. I just wish I knew what the heck everything does, or can do, and how to tweak it myself.. The manual is too abstract for Multi-rotor. Slowly picking up the lingo though. Thanks again Ian.

ianwood said:

I wasn't aware of the importance of SB in the middle during calibration. That may deshroud some of the mystery for me.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
ianwood said:

I wasn't aware of the importance of SB in the middle during calibration. That may deshroud some of the mystery for me.

Kelly

I know there are 49 pages in this thread, but I'm pretty sure that has been mentioned before. I knew about it so I must have read it somewhere in here. LOL

MontanaMike said:
wkf94025 said:
Mike,

Kelly

Kelly, I'll give the servo speed a try.. I think I can figure out how to do that. Right now it's reeeally slow and smooth. I'd actually like to speed it up a hair.. I'm not sure what it's set on at the moment. I was thinking it was already on 26 or 27 right now. It's set at whatever Ianwoods profile v4 is set at.

Kelly,
I think I misunderstood you earlier about servo speed to 26. Sorry. I thought you were referring to the speed of the 3-position SB switch, not the RS lever. Mine was set fast and twitchy to 0. Changed it to 26 and now the switch is smooth too.. Really nice. Now, I've got a 3 pos. switch for 0-45-90 and a relatively infinitely adjustable lever. Both, slow and smooth. I may not need that extra switch for 0-22.5-45-67.5-90 now.. yippee!

One other thing about the levers, (I've tried both) I'm only using the middle third of travel to move the gimbal, even though I've calibrated it 10x by now.. Are you using your full travel on your RS or just a portion? Anyone else having a similar issue?

Thanks..

MontanaMike said:
MontanaMike said:
wkf94025 said:
Mike,
Try setting your tilt channel 5 (aka "gear") servo speed to 26. It makes for MUCH smoother tilts. .
Kelly

One other thing about the levers, (I've tried both) I'm only using the middle third of travel to move the gimbal, even though I've calibrated it 10x by now.. Are you using your full travel on your RS or just a portion? Anyone else having a similar issue?

Thanks..

Loving the sped of the tilt on the RS now servo speed is at 26.

I am using full travel on RS. Power up with SB in centre position. RS fully up then Gimbal straight ahead. RS Full down =Gimbal straight down.

Mike -- I am getting nearly full range on RS, with maybe 10% dead spot at upper end. Not quite sure how programming of 14SG, or Assistant calibration, or switch/slider settings on power up affect useful range of RS or other switches/knobs. Will report back as the fog clears on that. Glad to hear servo speed is working for you.

MStacey, are you saying position of sliders and switches at power up affect useful range of RS? That would surprise me a bit, though I usually set everything full forward/centered as part of pre-flight. Or maybe switch/slider settings at time of P2 power up? Please clarify.

Kelly

DesertFlyer53 said:
wkf94025 said:

Kelly

I know there are 49 pages in this thread, but I'm pretty sure that has been mentioned before. I knew about it so I must have read it somewhere in here. LOL

Several times but also, Ianwood has updated the first post to include the warning that proper setup of the transmitter is with SB in the middle.

wkf94025 said:
Mike -- I am getting nearly full range on RS, with maybe 10% dead spot at upper end. Not quite sure how programming of 14SG, or Assistant calibration, or switch/slider settings on power up affect useful range of RS or other switches/knobs. Will report back as the fog clears on that. Glad to hear servo speed is working for you.

MStacey, are you saying position of sliders and switches at power up affect useful range of RS? That would surprise me a bit, though I usually set everything full forward/centered as part of pre-flight. Or maybe switch/slider settings at time of P2 power up? Please clarify.

Kelly

You can ignore the power up bit I put that in there to be clear on where I started from but seem instead to have caused other confusion.
Irrespective of power ON positions I get these movements

SB = up and RS = Gimbal range 0-45 degrees i.e. only RS movement between top and middle has any effect on Gimbal
SB= Centre RS= get full 0-90 Gimbal straight ahead to pointing down
SB= Down RS= Gimbal 45-90 i.e. only RS movement between middle and bottom has any effect on Gimbal

Now to look at reversing the direction of LD as Ians default seems counter intuitive to me.

Regards
Martin

MStacey said:
SB = up and RS = Gimbal range 0-45 degrees i.e. only RS movement between top and middle has any effect on Gimbal
SB= Centre RS= get full 0-90 Gimbal straight ahead to pointing down
SB= Down RS= Gimbal 45-90 i.e. only RS movement between middle and bottom has any effect on Gimbal

Now to look at reversing the direction of LD as Ians default seems counter intuitive to me.

That's pretty much what we all have. It is because SB and RS both contribute to the value sent to the Phantom. It's basically SB + RS = X1. It's that way because we have two ways to drive one channel. As for LD, the profile wasn't tested before I put it up. I've reversed it as well and it will be so in the next profile version. I am actually considering putting the yaw trim on LS instead of LD. Easier to get to.

I received the throttle centering kit. Installed it...but the throttle won't sit level. calibrated sticks updated firmware main controller to 3.0.

I have been using the ianwood's profile for awhile with out any problems... (thanks for your profile!!!!). but without the self centering throttle.

Channel T sits at -49 ....phantom slowly descends.

Anyone seen this or have any suggestions? Thanks.

Edit: taking a closer look inside the radio to see if any small adjustment could be made with the spring and screw produced no change. To put the throttle indication level in the assistant software requires a slight up throttle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 9.48.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 9.48.37 AM.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 403
Cody, I had a similar issue when I put mine in. I opened it back up, carefully turned it on while open and monkeyed with it until it was centered properly. I am not exactly sure what changed but it has been fine since.

Cody2008 said:
Channel T sits at -49 ....phantom slowly descends.

Anyone seen this or have any suggestions? Thanks.

Edit: taking a closer look inside the radio to see if any small adjustment could be made with the spring and screw produced no change. To put the throttle indication level in the assistant software requires a slight up throttle.

Cody, mine does the same exact thing, but calibrated it that way anyways, and it seems to work fine.

ianwood said:
I am actually considering putting the yaw trim on LS instead of LD. Easier to get to.

Ian, I tried to put my yaw trim on LS instead of LD the other day.. I tried: Linkage<function<4 RUD J4 LD, changed to 4 RUD J4 LS, but then I get nothing but red blinking lights continuously.. Didn't try to take off. Changed it back to what it was, and I got my green lights again. Test flight was fine, but no Yaw on the LS which I agree would be a nice change.. is there another trick to changing that? Obviously I'm missing something.

Also, I asked earlier, but still trying to exchange functions between SC and SD switches so GPS/ATTI is safer/more out of the way and triple rate is easier to reach, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that in the linkage menu.. Thanks for any hints. Finally getting comfy playing and experimenting with the "wheel of fortune" jog dial on the Futaba.. :D

I've got Gimbal control on RS and SA, IOC on SB, and hoping to make the aforementioned other changes.
Thanks, Mike

MontanaMike said:
Finally getting comfy playing and experimenting with the "wheel of fortune" jog dial on the Futaba.. :D

Thanks, Mike

Laughing hard at that one...

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
MontanaMike said:
Finally getting comfy playing and experimenting with the "wheel of fortune" jog dial on the Futaba.. :D

Thanks, Mike

Laughing hard at that one...

Kelly

HA! That one came to me this morning with the aid of 3 cups of coffee.. :D I love spinning the wheel!! I'll take the letters LS for $1000, Vannah!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT