Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

dorianclive said:
I don't believe they ever replied to my email. The spring just showed up in my mailbox. :)

I ended up ordering three of them. One off the webpage (they didn't answer so I sent them an email). I received two within a couple of days of each other - from my email, I got a shipment notice from Hobbico.

I then promptly lost the spare one and sent them another email with a receipt from my 14SG and they sent another - again with a shipment notice from Hobbico. ([email protected])

Both kits are identical.

ladykate said:
dorianclive said:
I don't believe they ever replied to my email. The spring just showed up in my mailbox. :)

I ended up ordering three of them. One off the webpage (they didn't answer so I sent them an email). I received two within a couple of days of each other - from my email, I got a shipment notice from Hobbico.

I then promptly lost the spare one and sent them another email with a receipt from my 14SG and they sent another - again with a shipment notice from Hobbico. ([email protected])

Both kits are identical.

Are you saying I can order the kit from Futaba's website?

Sent from my iPhone

dorianclive said:
ladykate said:
dorianclive said:

Both kits are identical.

Sent from my iPhone

I went to the website, clicked on the support link and used the information there to contact them. Somewhere I found a web based dialog box (can't find it now) - but it worked. The last two times, I sent an email to: [email protected].

ladykate said:
dorianclive said:
ladykate said:
dorianclive said:

Both kits are identical.

Sent from my iPhone

I went to the website, clicked on the support link and used the information there to contact them. Somewhere I found a web based dialog box (can't find it now) - but it worked. The last two times, I sent an email to: [email protected].

Ok thanks. I'll wait it out then.

Sent from my iPhone

wildnico said:
Sorry, unsure this might be a functionality of the 14SG that doesn't exit in the 8FG. On the 14SG, the menu is not the SERVO menu, but a standalone SRVO SPEED.

This is only on the 14SG as you mention. There may be another way though using program mix and maybe even one of the other curves used for something else. I just need to find time to play with it. Hectic at the moment.

Thanks, Ian, for sharing this with us!

Will this profile work without having to install the Futaba receiver?

In other words, can I just bind my 14sg to the existing phantom 2 receiver and use all the features of this profile? What are the benefits of using the Futaba receiver vs the stock receiver?

I'm trying to avoid opening up my Phantom and screwing something up like I probably did with my Phantom 1...

Thanks again!

Chuq,

I use it with my stock Phantom 2 receiver. Works fine.

Advantages? Well... the control over the gimbal, smart radio (alarms, etc), monitor for battery and many other things. Also, the Futaba can be used with other equipment so when you get another airframe (450, 550, etc) then you can use it with that one, too. It has extra channel(s) that can be used to support LEDs or other on-board equipment (but you have to change the on-board radio to get the extra channel).

ladykate said:
Chuq,

I use it with my stock Phantom 2 receiver. Works fine.

Advantages? Well... the control over the gimbal, smart radio (alarms, etc), monitor for battery and many other things. Also, the Futaba can be used with other equipment so when you get another airframe (450, 550, etc) then you can use it with that one, too. It has extra channel(s) that can be used to support LEDs or other on-board equipment (but you have to change the on-board radio to get the extra channel).

Thanks Ladykate!

Yeah I already have a Futaba T14SG and plan on using it for a long time with future models. I just want to make sure that the smooth gimbal controls will all work without having to open up my phantom and install the Futaba receiver inside.

Cheers!

Ok, so I just installed the profile on my T14SG and bound it to my Phantom 2 with the Stock receiver and everything seems to work perfectly. I'm trying to get used to the new gimbal controls, but so far this is what I understand:

SB - Gimbal 3 positions auto slow tilt: Horizontal, 45 degrees down, 90 degrees down. Slow tilt, RS determines the start position??
SC - Yaw, Pitch and Roll 3 positions. No effect on gimbal speed?

Am I correct?

Other than that I think all the controls are pretty easy to identify.

A big thanks to Ian for sharing this!

Chuq

Chuq said:
Ok, so I just installed the profile on my T14SG and bound it to my Phantom 2 with the Stock receiver and everything seems to work perfectly. I'm trying to get used to the new gimbal controls, but so far this is what I understand:

SB - Gimbal 3 positions auto slow tilt: Horizontal, 45 degrees down, 90 degrees down. Slow tilt, RS determines the start position??
SC - Yaw, Pitch and Roll 3 positions. No effect on gimbal speed?

RS and SB work together to make up the position. Each has their own number representing a position and they are added together to determine the gimbal position. SC no impact on gimbal speed.

Hi everyone

I didn't want to hijack this thread which is mainly dedicated to Ian's profile.
However, if you're interested and following this thread, you might want to have a look and contribute to a spinoff thread I started around controlling the camera tilt (GEAR) function with the right stick rather than the slider of the t8J or t14sg:

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12149

Cheers

Nico

Although it's been said several times thru the course of this thread, I have to say it one more time....... a HUGE thank you to Ianwood for sharing his knowledge of the Futaba 8FG controller and the profile he has created and fine-tuned. Although this motivated me to go out and buy a Futaba 8FG and I have been able to install the profile and use it successfully, I'm sure it will take me 2 yrs or more to figure out the true capabilities of this controller (if then)! More over, thanks to everyone here for following thru with all the posts so the ones of us new to the hobby could learn and apply the info!

fxmodels said:
Does the profile also work for the non-super version of the 8FG?

I may be completely bass-akwards but I think you can just download the upgrade software and make your 8FG into a Super for most cases.

Am considering removing the 'Go Home' switch functionality. At best it is kinda handy to know it is there but if you bump it or forget to set it, you run into issues (no CSC, airplane starts coming home when you thought you were flying it, etc). What does this switch get us that just setting S1 to failsafe in the administrator (or switching off the radio) does not?

I recognize this thread is primarily about Futaba functionality, but I wanted to let the group know that I am consistently getting 3km range with my P2 and Futaba 14SG. Zero mods to the radio, and stock receiver and antennas on P2. Only "customization" is moving video Tx antenna down and away, via a 2" extension.

Again, also OT: I have switched to a "5.8GHz Circular Polarized Patch Antenna, +5dBi (SMA)" on my Lilliput 664/w and the increase in range is dramatic. This screen used to snow out at 500m. Now if I align it just right (on tripod with swivel head) I can get decent image 3km out. Antenna is $20 at dpcav.com. Thanks to the gentleman there for the recommendation.

Kelly

As long as it's the Lilliput, I am OK with a little thread meandering! Good to hear that my $75 crosshair and $65 Bluebeam have both been bested by a $20 patch. I'm getting about 600m on the bluebeam mad mushroom. The crosshair I have on the Uno which gets reception forever. For $20, it's worth trying. Yet another antenna!

As for the range of the 14SG, that is totally relevant. Good to hear yours is working well. Post up some pics of your setup showing antenna routing and vTX position and we can use that as a reference for anyone else who has range related issues. If you have a source for the antenna extensions that would be good too.

Will do pics of setup at my next opp. Antenna extension was from dpcav.com as well: "SMA to SMA Extension Cable, RG-402 Coax (BlueBeam Extension)", part #CESS402-050. $9. I use one to put the patch antenna on the Lilliput screen, and one to extend the video Tx on the P2.

They deserve your business for helping me find very economical means of extending FPV range substantially.

EDIT: while the range of the Lilliput 664/W has improved a lot with the patch antenna, it still remains HIGHLY sensitive to orientation. 5% off and usable image becomes a blizzard. Hopefully Lilliput will help improve the reception of the 664/w somehow.

FWIW, range tests have been at +200 meters, occasionally +300 meters of altitude, over a mix of small town / rural setting. I usually fly upwind on ATTI, and then scoot home downwind when battery level gets near 50%. I usually arrive near home with battery reserve in the 20's of % left. I will sometimes get RTH kicking in and out in the >2500 meter range, but it often passes. I also sense that acceleration/pitch may exacerbate RTH sensitivity a bit, but am not not convinced of that yet. I think of it as walking on eggshells in the last few hundred meters. Last but not least, I am carrying a Garmin GTU 10 on the back right leg, in case my ship goes down behind enemy lines. A smaller internal GPS tracker would probably extend my range and/or battery comfort a tad.

Kelly

Do you have the longer Futaba antennas? That's what I thought you were referring to as well as the vTX? How do you have your receiver mounted and antennas routed? I had mine out to 2km but didn't want to go further and probably won't be heading that far out again anytime soon. I have the stock Futaba antennas running down the front legs.

Ladykate, as for the FS, I have the other failsafe set up as manual in case there is an IMU or mechanically induced flyway and I need to bring it down before it goes bye bye.

I have not made any mods to the P2 with respect to onboard flight controls. Stock receiver, stock antenna length and routing. I am curious to install the Futaba receiver and longer antennae, but that's not a high priority at the moment. The video Tx is the ImmersionRC 250mW mounted in the typical position underside on the belly, near the back, on the centerline of the 'fuselage' with the connector facing aft. The antenna 2" extension bends down ~60 degrees, and the SpiroNet antenna connects from there. I have been playing with SpiroNet on the centerline, versus rotated away on port side, to "peek" around the hull when the video RX (googles or Lilliput) are off the nose of the ship. Not sure yet what is optimal orientation.

Pics soon, but nothing special going on here. Next expirment is using $20 patch antenna on Fatsharks instead of SpiroNet.

Kelly

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT