Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

MontanaMike said:
After following and reading and re-reading this thread, I think I'm about ready to drink the Kool-aid and set myself up with a T8FGS :) .. Thanks to Ianwood and everyone else for their expertise and input. I hope Futaba set's him up in some way, and I am hoping maybe someone could tell me; 1. where in the US might be a good place to buy one, and 2. if you can order it with the center return spring already installed? Thanks very much. I hope one day to be able to contribute in a valuable way to this forum.

My Futaba was part of a Phantom 2 upgraded package (Pro Pack) from Aerial Media Pros in southern California. You can see the different radios they have by going to their website.

Re: Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

skeeter said:
Hi, all!

Just thought I'd post a quick (well, not really that quick) vid that I shot today with the P2/14SG and the combination of BrandonBallard's 14SG profile modded with Ianwood's gimbal tilt goodness.

Probably some of the best footage of a dirt parking lot you'll ever see... :lol:

I got into my prop wash in the second half. Can you spot it?

http://vimeo.com/87524227

Oh...Anybody know how to imbed a Vimeo player in this dang-fool board? :?

...and the lessor Y'allTube version

How fid you get the nice slow yaw?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8XUrCYSB8[/youtube]

n-joy..

Pardon my thickness here, but did I miss a question ?

skeeter said:
I used BrandonBallard's settings for SF (switches to 50% rudder) on the 14SG from this thread:

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6205

The v4 profile does pretty much the same:

dual-rate-rudder.jpg

I've figured out how to slow down the tilt on the gimbal to smooth out the action, but the beginning and the end of the tilt move is still a little jarring. Does anyone know how to program the transmitter to feather the beginning and end of the tilt move? Cheers.

michaelo78 said:
I've figured out how to slow down the tilt on the gimbal to smooth out the action, but the beginning and the end of the tilt move is still a little jarring. Does anyone know how to program the transmitter to feather the beginning and end of the tilt move? Cheers.

use a curve, spline, to smooth it out. :)

Ian (and others),

I have been flying the v4 model for a week, and am ecstatic about everything except that I lack the ability to achieve smooth small incremental changes in camera tilt. My RS slide lever is ratcheted (not sure everyone's is in Futaba-ville) and so I have a choice of a jumpy manual tilt up or down via the RS slide lever or a smooth 45 degree tilt. What I don't have is the tilt equivalent of the as-much-smooth-increment-as-I-need yaw on the LD volume dial. What about programming the RD volume knob to control tilt up or down the same way LD controls yaw? Alternately, has anyone de-ratcheted their RS slide lever? The notches are highly undesirable for tilt, IMHO.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
Ian (and others),

I have been flying the v4 model for a week, and am ecstatic about everything except that I lack the ability to achieve smooth small incremental changes in camera tilt. My RS slide lever is ratcheted (not sure everyone's is in Futaba-ville) and so I have a choice of a jumpy manual tilt up or down via the RS slide lever or a smooth 45 degree tilt. What I don't have is the tilt equivalent of the as-much-smooth-increment-as-I-need yaw on the LD volume dial. What about programming the RD volume knob to control tilt up or down the same way LD controls yaw? Alternately, has anyone de-ratcheted their RS slide lever? The notches are highly undesirable for tilt, IMHO.

Kelly

It's a simple process in the radio to assign the tilt function from the RS to the RD knob. I don't have the radio in front of me right now so I can't provide a detailed discription.

As far as the RS notches... I removed the metal tab but didn't like how loose the RS lever became, so I re-installed the tab.

LINKAGE > FUNCTION, GEAR change RS to RD. The program mix should stay the same. I think you'll find that it isn't much easier to control with the dial. And RS has a longer sweep.

michaelo78 said:

Details man, details :D :D :D

wkf94025 said:
Ian (and others),

Kelly

I tried this, I think you will find that RD knob is ratcheted as well. I could never get my fingers to turn it smoothly enough.

You are correct, RD is ratcheted. What I was suggesting is similar functionality as LD, except applied to camera tilt. Turn RD a few clicks right and camera starts to tilt smoothly downward. Turn RD back to zero and tilt stops at its current setting. I find the sensitivity / ramp on LD for yaw to be ideal, and would use a similar range of motion on RD for camera tilt. Make sense?

Kelly

DesertFlyer53 said:
wkf94025 said:
...Alternately, has anyone de-ratcheted their RS slide lever? The notches are highly undesirable for tilt, IMHO.

Kelly
As far as the RS notches... I removed the metal tab but didn't like how loose the RS lever became, so I re-installed the tab.

Just bend it out of the way slightly, it's still there, but very lightly.

wkf94025 said:
You are correct, RD is ratcheted. What I was suggesting is similar functionality as LD, except applied to camera tilt. Turn RD a few clicks right and camera starts to tilt smoothly downward. Turn RD back to zero and tilt stops at its current setting. I find the sensitivity / ramp on LD for yaw to be ideal, and would use a similar range of motion on RD for camera tilt. Make sense?

Kelly

Ahhh, yes. OK. Same thing sort of. LINKAGE > FUNCTION, set GEAR TRIM to RD.

EDIT: It's not going to work as you expect. The reason being is LD when you set it to a number other than zero, you get a yaw movement until you put it back to zero. With the gimbal trim, it just goes to the point you ask it to. It won't keep going. In other words, the way the gimbal channel works on the Phantom is different than the yaw channel.

Ian is this option for the RD update worthy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianwood said:
wkf94025 said:

Kelly

Ahhh, yes. OK. Same thing sort of. LINKAGE > FUNCTION, set GEAR TRIM to RD.

I kinda like this idea! Gonna give it a try. You guys are to **** smart! :D

Re:
I kinda like this idea! Gonna give it a try. You guys are to **** smart! :D

I think Ianwood covered this a few pages back. I implemented it based on that conversation. Works fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94