Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Thanks for the suggestion Skeeter. I just tried the Futaba stick calibration (system, h/w setup, calibration) and I'm still showing -10 in the Phantom application.

Rats! I had to do it twice as I recall....hmmmm....grrrr...

I had something similar with my centering spring when I first put it in. I ended up opening it back up and carefully fiddling with it until it read zero. It's been fine ever since.

Hi guys ....

New on here found this thread from a link On RCGroups.com

Anyway I just picked up the T14SG and was trying to get it set up based on the first page of this thread but based on my reading it seems like the configuration has been changed a little (In the first couple of pages they are referencing SB for tilt control of the gimbal but based on the first page it looks like thats now on SC).

While reading I had a couple of questions:

It says that for calibration and start up that all the switches should be in the back most position / away from you with the exception of SC, RS and the LD set to middle:

For calibration, make sure all switches are in the back-most position except for SC which should be in the middle position.

However on the part talking about Auto Yaw it says "DOWN" is off:

6. Auto YAW on SE and LD.
DOWN: Off.
MIDDLE: YAW based on LD trim.
UP: YAW and ROLL based on LD trim (circle around an object).

So is down off or up off? As Up is the farthest back correct? Thats what I'm guessing based on this:

3. Triple rate flight controls on SB set up to help with filming especially reducing yaw sensitivity:
UP: full linear controls. (Note: The UP position is away from you.)
MIDDLE: YAW 75% -35 expo, PITCH 100% -25 expo, ROLL 100% -25 expo.
DOWN: YAW 75% -50 expo, PITCH 90% -35 expo, ROLL 90% -35 expo.

Also on the current programing I want to make sure I understand the SC and RS combos. So SC in the middle position and RS in the middle position have the camera at 45 degrees? Then using RS you can tilt up or down. Now how does the SC Switch work in combo with it? If RS is in the middle and I click SC UP then the camera slow tilts up to 90 degrees? and moving SC down slow tilts down to 0 degrees? If RS is up to the top and you put SC up no movement happens but if you put SC down you get slow tilt of 90 degrees down and vise versa if RS is all the way down? ...... am I thinking this correctly?

Lastly Auto Yaw .... Trying to fully understand this. I'm guessing this is a programed Point of Interest feature correct:

Auto YAW on SE and LD.
DOWN: Off. --- This easy just disabled
MIDDLE: YAW based on LD trim. --- Can someone explain this in use for me?
UP: YAW and ROLL based on LD trim (circle around an object). --- LD controls how tight the circle is? Do you face the camera at the object then enable this and adjust how tight you want the circle based using the LD?

Thanks guys for the feedback!

Hi guys ... after posting I followed the directions on the first page of this post and got the profile loaded to my 14SG without issue. I went into the P2 assistant to do the calibrations and and everything went cool, however I'm having a couple of issues:

1) The command stick combo to start the motors dosent seem to be working. Is it different then the normal sicks down and center like on the stock remote?

2) When moving the Yaw stick on my remote the gimbal yaws while sitting on my desk. Is this normal? as it never did that with my stock remote.

and lastly

3) At start up my gimbal starts in the 45 degree position not the 90 degree position. Any way to fix this?

Hi Kris,

1. The normal reasons for the CSC not working with this profile is a) the switches are incorrectly set: make sure all the switches except SC are fully back, i.e. away from you for top mounted switches and fully up for front mounted. It doesn't really matter where SC is (more later); b) make sure you calibrate the Tx sticks in the software assistant, just as you would with the stock Tx; and c) you may need to calibrate the sticks in your radio: page 57/58 of the manual in System --> H/W Setting --> Calibration.

2. It's normal for the gimbal to yaw slightly, AFAIK it does the same with the stock Tx. This is a Phantom 2 feature to smooth the gimbal when yawing the aircraft.

3. With switch SC in the middle position and the RS fully up the gimbal will be horizontal, i.e. facing forward. With this switch setting the RS will give the full tilt range. Play around with different switch settings and RS positions to see the auto tilt function in action, both controls work together so it's best just to experiment on the bench until you are familiar with it.

As for your first post, auto yaw works by using the LD to yaw the aircraft instead of the rudder joystick, the further you turn the knob right or left the faster the aircraft yaws right or left. This enables you to achieve very smooth pans, and also allows panning whilst controlling the aircraft in any direction you want. When you have the auto yaw and roll enabled the tightness of the circle depends on the position of the LD, right or left. The best way to get a feel for this is try it! I use both functions on occasions but quite often use the variable rate function and manually control yaw and roll to achieve circling. To see what the LD does in auto yaw and auto yaw and roll modes connect your Phantom to the software assistant and watch the stick positions on the View or R/C page.

Just to reiterate,switch SB must be fully away from you (back or up depending on which terminology your using) to enable you to perform a CSC to start the motors.

Hope this helps!

Rory

Oh, and there's a hidden handy feature on switch SG; with the switch fully down or towards you the RD provides auto elevator, i.e. you can use it to fly the aircraft forwards or backwards at a set speed depending on the position of the knob. This is really useful, and when used in conjunction with home lock allows very controlled transects to be flown. Using this function with the auto yaw and roll function allows for some really interesting shots purely controlled by the two knobs!

Rory

christianjou said:
Hi everybody and merry christmas.
Is there someone who could help me to transform this 14SG profile for a T8FGS ?

thanks a lot for your help.
I post the profile here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/9eclfnu3h66tw ... L.rar?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9eclfnu3h66twmk/T14SG_M480L.rar?dl=0

There's no backwards compatibility from the 14SG to the 8FG, you'll need to have both Tx's side by side and copy each screen manually from one to the other. Takes a while (and can allow errors to slip in so check and recheck the 8FG before flying) but AFAIK it's the only way to do it.

Rory

As stated, a 14SG profile is not backwards compatible. We've got a working one that works for both 8FGS and 14SG. If there are new features that you're after, let us know and we can take a look.

RoryG said:
Hi Kris,

1. The normal reasons for the CSC not working with this profile is a) the switches are incorrectly set: make sure all the switches except SC are fully back, i.e. away from you for top mounted switches and fully up for front mounted. It doesn't really matter where SC is (more later); b) make sure you calibrate the Tx sticks in the software assistant, just as you would with the stock Tx; and c) you may need to calibrate the sticks in your radio: page 57/58 of the manual in System --> H/W Setting --> Calibration.

Just to reiterate,switch SB must be fully away from you (back or up depending on which terminology your using) to enable you to perform a CSC to start the motors.

Hope this helps!

Rory

Got it working. I noticed that on the Phantom Calibration it wasn't sitting 100% center. So I opened the 14SG back up and adjusted the centering spring kit, and did a calibration on the 14SG software. Then I reran the calibration on the P2 Assistant and now all is good :D

RoryG said:
Oh, and there's a hidden handy feature on switch SG; with the switch fully down or towards you the RD provides auto elevator, i.e. you can use it to fly the aircraft forwards or backwards at a set speed depending on the position of the knob. This is really useful, and when used in conjunction with home lock allows very controlled transects to be flown. Using this function with the auto yaw and roll function allows for some really interesting shots purely controlled by the two knobs!

Rory

Rory,

On the first post of this page it says that both RD and SG are not used. Is this incorrect? or is this something you added to your personal profile?

It was an undocumented feature in V5 when Ian first uploaded it, not sure if he's removed it but just check your stick monitor in the assistant with SG towards you and turn the RD, the elevator should move if it's enabled.

Glad it's all working for you, it's a great profile Ian has produced :)

Rory

ianwood said:
As stated, a 14SG profile is not backwards compatible. We've got a working one that works for both 8FGS and 14SG. If there are new features that you're after, let us know and we can take a look.

I am interested, could you have a look ?

Anyone know if I would have 2 free channels by installing a R6208SB rx on my P2?

I want to install pan / tilt head tracking mount and need 2 free channels for servo's.

Thanks.

If you don't use the gimbal channel you would have two. Not sure what you want though.

Dear all,

First of all thank you for this huge information database about the T8FGS setup.
I have a basic question about the last version (V5) of the T8FGS setup profile provided by Ian Wood: do you know if this profile work with the previous version of the transmitter (T8FG) ?

Many thanks in advance for your answers !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z