Setting Day

Reaction score
A couple of videos taken at Northport (Alberton Harbour) this past Tuesday when the lobster fishery opened for the spring season here on Prince Edward Island.

The first one is of the fleet heading out from the wharf to the mouth of the harbour with their first load of traps. Each crew/boat has 300 traps to set which will take at least two trips to complete. The fleet's progression is a controlled one, somewhat like a pace lap at an auto race but slower. :) Footage via P4.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The second video shows a number of boats back at the wharf a few hours later to pick up their 2nd load of traps. Footage via Spark.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Familiar sight here in Florida as well for the opening of stone crab season. Did it for 40 years with 1000 traps, took 4 days to set with two trips a day. Slow ride with 8000lb on board. We only take the claws so they can grow more for next season. Dirty stinky job but I miss it. $6K worth in the pic from 300 traps (days work)

Crab 2004 003a.jpgCrab 2004 005a.jpg

Awesome! Loved watching!

Reactions: RotorWash_UAV
Familiar sight here in Florida as well for the opening of stone crab season. Did it for 40 years with 1000 traps, took 4 days to set with two trips a day. Slow ride with 8000lb on board. We only take the claws so they can grow more for next season. Dirty stinky job but I miss it. $6K worth in the pic from 300 traps (days work)

View attachment 122042View attachment 122043
Tip of the hat to you, that's a lot of fishing Capt, well done! Great paydays for sure, the price here this year for lobster ($9-$10/lb) is about double last. Not sure if that will hold or not but the fishermen pull in an average of 1000lbs/day per boat so it's great for the local economy. The season is just two months long but many also have fall licenses for lobster and fish other species in between like tuna, scallops, oysters etc.

Reactions: MTO
Ginseng is around $1,000 a pound. The season realistically is only a month and a half. It dies back in the fall. It takes 3lbs of green ginseng, to dry to a pound. A pound of sang will fill a one pound bread bag.

That is just awesome... I wanted to make it up with mine, but ya know, that work thing got in the way... Great work

Just got a chance to watch your videos. Well done and thanks for sharing. I just had my 10 year old watch them too. Wanted him to know alittle about what goes into catching those critters. We won't make it that far north, but we are dragging the camper to the Maine coast later this summer. Hope to steam a few that week !

Just got a chance to watch your videos. Well done and thanks for sharing. I just had my 10 year old watch them too. Wanted him to know alittle about what goes into catching those critters. We won't make it that far north, but we are dragging the camper to the Maine coast later this summer. Hope to steam a few that week !
Thanks for watching Bernie! Yes a lot of work goes into it for sure. Hope you have yourself a good feed this summer! ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31