Video: Hilton Head Island North Forest Beach

Koz

Reaction score
Before we could even set up and go through the pre-flight checklist Beach Patrol came over and told us there was a town ordinance prohibiting "drones" on the beach. I've lived here for a long time and am involved in the tourist and real estate industry and I never heard of that ordinance. I'll have to place a few calls and check it out.

Anyway, we moved away from that public beach access spot and went further down towards the residential area where there are no lifeguards hoping that Beach Patrol did not frequent that area. We managed to get in some video and still pictures, but we were bracketed by a lifeguard and a Beach Patrol vehicle (you can see the red truck and trailer on the video).
Here's the link to the video: http://www.hiltonhead360.com/Hilton-Hea ... above.html

We're flying using a stock P2V+ and the winds were light for the beach. I was manning the aircraft while someone else was shooting still pictures and video via a Nexus 7. All of the pictures and video are raw footage (no enhancements in post production) and I think the camera does a decent job. The video is slow to adjust flying towards the sun, but that's to be expected.

I've flown RC planes for a while so flying the P2V+ with its failsafe option and dead stick hovering makes it fairly easy to fly. Yeah, I could still get in trouble but right now I'm not pushing the flight envelope. I was tempted to do a low altitude, high speed pass over the water but decided against it at this time. Today's flight was before 9 am, so the beaches were fairly empty. Once tourist season ends (and Beach Patrol is off for the season) I'll head back down to the beaches and over to Harbour Town and Shelter Cove. By then I should have enough flying and video composition experience to make something decent.

I've been waiting to see some HHI footage. My family and I have been going there every year since the mid 80's. My parents are retired and moving there this fall. I didn't go this year but if I did, I was sure to get some video.

I also try not to push the envelope when it comes to crowds and public places. Stinks to hear they banned them down there on the beach. Especially since it seems like you chose to go where and when it wasn't crowded.

Good luck with getting footage for yourself and for work. Besides the beaches, Harbor Town and Shelter Cove, there's certainly plenty to shoot. The golf courses alone . . .

The weather stays warm and everything stays green here until November so I should still get some good footage once Beach Patrol packs it in for the year. We're also looking at doing aerial photos and video for most of the residential communities in Hilton Head and Bluffton and adding that to our web sites, magazines, and apps.

Good luck on your move to the area.

Nice, I lived in SC most of my life and definitely miss the beaches. The beaches up here just aren't the same..... too crowded and too many rules :roll: I'm getting married in Charleston in a couple months and will definitely be bringing the phantom! The Low Country is beautiful!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie