Serious bug in v4.00 firmware

Scottyo said:
i have no problems with it set the limit send it out to the limit and it hovers for a bit comes back i get control and fly. i set it as low as 10 meters
Yes that may work if the wind blows it back, if the wind blows the wrong way you can not get control.

Skylane765 said:
Scottyo said:
i have no problems with it set the limit send it out to the limit and it hovers for a bit comes back i get control and fly. i set it as low as 10 meters
Yes that may work if the wind blows it back, if the wind blows the wrong way you can not get control.

the winds not blowing it. the firmware works find theres a lot of people that dont have problems.

guess at this point, if you're running 4.0, don't use the limits as "training wheels", but set them far out as more of fly-away preventer and set them to the utmost furthest you'd ever want to see your Phantom fly away to.

Gizmo3000 said:
guess at this point, if you're running 4.0, don't use the limits as "training wheels", but set them far out as more of fly-away preventer and set them to the utmost furthest you'd ever want to see your Phantom fly away to.

Or setup manual mode or failsafes. Shouldn't you be able to activate the failsafe/RTH to pull it off the limit, then re-take control?

I set it up 300m thinking it would be the safe thing to do, ended up landing it on a busy motorway, as it wouldn't come back. Thankfully I could recover it before it got crashed by the cars.
Question is, if it was hit by a truck would DJI take responsibility? Could I get a replacement etc? Any one had any experience with DJI on this?

I just bought a Phantom after the price dropped. I have the latest hardware including the hardware board. I set my Phantom to Failsafe at a 90 meter radius. I flew out past that point and absolutely nothing happened. It didn't come inside the radius and it didn't fly out of control.

When you are testing these features are you flying to the limits of both the radius and the height or just the radius?

mroberts said:
Gizmo3000 said:

Or setup manual mode or failsafes. Shouldn't you be able to activate the failsafe/RTH to pull it off the limit, then re-take control?

Yes - failsafe will work (I have used it!). Once it flies back into the limit perimeter you can regain control again by taking it off failsafe.

imaj said:
I set it up 300m thinking it would be the safe thing to do, ended up landing it on a busy motorway, as it wouldn't come back. Thankfully I could recover it before it got crashed by the cars.
Question is, if it was hit by a truck would DJI take responsibility? Could I get a replacement etc? Any one had any experience with DJI on this?

Absolutely not a chance in hell of getting DJI held liable on this. The same as if you were flying a RC helicopter and you had a part failure or gyro failure and your RC Heli crashed onto a road. Do you think you could hold the manufacturer responsible for this?

miskatonic said:
I just bought a Phantom after the price dropped. I have the latest hardware including the hardware board. I set my Phantom to Failsafe at a 90 meter radius. I flew out past that point and absolutely nothing happened. It didn't come inside the radius and it didn't fly out of control.

When you are testing these features are you flying to the limits of both the radius and the height or just the radius?
The bug is only evident in the radius/distance limits feature and then only in the forward or reverse direction on exiting the limit. Flying sideways out of the 'cylinder' barrier the Phantom will stop and return back into the area as it should, but NOT if you fly forwards or backwards outside your 'ringfence' The height limit works without issue.

Now, this COULD be a region specific problem since some people allegedly are not experiencing issues with the limit feature - I am not convinced and think it is more likely there is a lack of understanding of exactly how this feature should work.

Wind, will have nothing to do with it (unless the average windspeed is higher than the Phantom can fight against - but who would take their Phantom up in those conditions anyway?)
Basically, once you fly out of you distance limit, the Phantom should stop and then return (quit abruptly) back into the 'ringfence' where you should regain control. It should not drift or float about but should return in a straight line into the radius towards the home point.

Firestat said:
Looks like they took the download button off on their website.

Chuck

You download firmware by first opening Naza Assistant, & then accepting the upgrade message.

The Editor said:
imaj said:

Absolutely not a chance in hell of getting DJI held liable on this. The same as if you were flying a RC helicopter and you had a part failure or gyro failure and your RC Heli crashed onto a road. Do you think you could hold the manufacturer responsible for this?

Actually you can hold the shop you buy it from liable for the faulty part under comsumer rights law and the further damage due to the faulty item is called consequential loss and you can claim it through small claims process up to 2000 Euro. This is the case in EU at least.
Obviously I won't waste my time or annoy my suppliers for small mishaps and damages. The reason I post this is to find out DJIs attitude towards damages caused by bugs and faulty parts, if anyone had an experience...

imaj said:
The Editor said:
imaj said:

Actually you can hold the shop you buy it from liable for the faulty part under comsumer rights law and the further damage due to the faulty item is called consequential loss and you can claim it through small claims process up to 2000 Euro. This is the case in EU at least.
Obviously I won't waste my time or annoy my suppliers for small mishaps and damages. The reason I post this is to find out DJIs attitude towards damages caused by bugs and faulty parts, if anyone had an experience...

How did you end up in a situation where you were flying 300m away, over a motorway? Why were you flying out ot your limit so far away, and why didn't you activate failsafe to get it ot come back?

mroberts said:

How did you end up in a situation where you were flying 300m away, over a motorway? Why were you flying out ot your limit so far away, and why didn't you activate failsafe to get it ot come back?[/quote]

I'd love to see you try and prove that one in court !!! A disintegrated mess of plastic on a motorway and you say "Oh it was a part failure" and DJI say "No it wasn't" The burdon of proof would be on you.
Furthermore, any contract will be subject to Chinese law in respect of jurisdiction no doubt, since we have no contractual relationship with DJI (only our suppliers).
I doubt whether the Chinese would even respond to an action brought in the European courts (after all... the French ignore everything and get away with it all the time :D :lol: :lol: )
I get your sentiments and I understand but think any action (class or otherwise) would fall on deaf ears and you would end up recovering any third party liability through another means.

Good job I stumble into this as I was about to update my firmware to 4.0. The DJI website is still listing 4.0 so looks like the bug hasn't been fixed yet. So, only switching to manual mode will bring back? Anyone tried turning off the transmiter to force the craft to failsafe mode?

Captain Tobias said:
Good job I stumble into this as I was about to update my firmware to 4.0. The DJI website is still listing 4.0 so looks like the bug hasn't been fixed yet. So, only switching to manual mode will bring back? Anyone tried turning off the transmiter to force the craft to failsafe mode?

Easy fix, don't use the limit function. In my opinion unless you are using FPV, you should be flying within "Line of Site". If you can't see it, you've gone to far.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20