Serious RTH firmware bug, are you seeing it?

This is a finished product. Unless you expect a finished product to never have any issue whatsoever. In which case, no technology product on the planet is a finished product by your definition
I think that there is a difference between what I'm willing to accept and what I am not prepared to accept
I note that we used too much that manufacturers put on the market products obviously not to the point, which is the case when it comes to a crazy RTH
The technology is not perfect, of course, but whether this defective... no

You have my opinion, and no more comments please....

The subject is closed
It's never closed, until we say it's closed! ;)
As previously stated, you should wait 6 months before buying any newly released product, if you aren't willing to help make it better.

This is a serious or even catastrophic bug. It is up there with "drone shutdown in air" bug in FW 1.5 for P3P/A. What bothers me the most is that it has been more then a month since it was discovered, it can be reproduced in all units and still no fix.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

This is a serious or even catastrophic bug. It is up there with "drone shutdown in air" bug in FW 1.5 for P3P/A. What bothers me the most is that it has been more then a month since it was discovered, it can be reproduced in all units and still no fix.

It's only a problem if you persist in setting your RTH height lower than you are flying. Just raise your RTH higher than you will be flying, which is safer anyway, and you will never encounter the problem. That's your fix. You are welcome! :cool:

It's only a problem if you persist in setting your RTH height lower than you are flying. Just raise your RTH higher than you will be flying, which is safer anyway, and you will never encounter the problem. That's your fix. You are welcome! :cool:

No, GadgetGuy !
In my case, the height of the flight to the height indicated in the RTH had no effect !
Whatever the parameters, during a RTH drone rises to an altitude of crazy!
With some friends, we tried all the solutions:
- change heights (flight and RTH)
- beware of orientation to the Sun
- disable collision whenever sensors
- change units (feet, meters...)

the drone goes up when the RTH at an incorrect altitude !

It's never closed, until we say it's closed! ;)
As previously stated, you should wait 6 months before buying any newly released product, if you aren't willing to help make it better.

It is closed for me !
I summarize the situation, apart from my personal case
1 - DJI is perfectly aware of the bug but sells an object at risk for air navigation, without warning the users. (150 meters max in France)
2. DJI for some reason that I don't know (if I was bad language, I would say to avoid any dissemination of this bug) did not warn its after-sales Service. (The SAV and R&D discover the bug !)
3. some people are informed, you GadgetGuy ? but keep that information under wraps.

Final point

Yeah, and reading this thread is mandatory for all new P4P owners. You are missing a point. People aware of this bug could probably easily avoid it, problem is another 99.9% of users which are not and could cause some serious damage.

Yeah, and reading this thread is mandatory for all new P4P owners. You are missing a point. People aware of this bug could probably easily avoid it, problem is another 99.9% of users which are not and could cause some serious damage.

I agree with that!
To avoid this bug to appear, simply never activate RTH :-(

On may wonder what happens when the RTH is caused by the system either because the radio link between the drone and the remote control is off, either because there is a warning of low battery
Personally, I had no opportunity to test the behavior of the drone in these two cases

I agree with that!
To avoid this bug to appear, simply never activate RTH :-(

On may wonder what happens when the RTH is caused by the system either because the radio link between the drone and the remote control is off, either because there is a warning of low battery
Personally, I had no opportunity to test the behavior of the drone in these two cases

Same thing in any RTH scenario where current altitude > RTH altitude

Reactions: GadgetGuy
No, GadgetGuy !
In my case, the height of the flight to the height indicated in the RTH had no effect !
Whatever the parameters, during a RTH drone rises to an altitude of crazy!
With some friends, we tried all the solutions:
- change heights (flight and RTH)
- beware of orientation to the Sun
- disable collision whenever sensors
- change units (feet, meters...)

the drone goes up when the RTH at an incorrect altitude !
This is news to me. So, are you saying that if you have RTH set to 400 feet and activate RTH while at 100 feet, that the drone rises past your set RTH of 400 feet to the hard coded ceiling of 500 meters before returning home?

I agree. However, if you have read this thread, you now have a workaround. Anyone flying a new DJI aircraft knows that they need to follow these early user experiences here to know what bugs to avoid and look out for. They all have bugs of some sort at the beginning. It is unavoidable. DJI's one year warranty also covers all these well documented bugs, until they have been fixed in firmware updates.

It is closed for me !
I summarize the situation, apart from my personal case
1 - DJI is perfectly aware of the bug but sells an object at risk for air navigation, without warning the users. (150 meters max in France)
2. DJI for some reason that I don't know (if I was bad language, I would say to avoid any dissemination of this bug) did not warn its after-sales Service. (The SAV and R&D discover the bug !)
3. some people are informed, you GadgetGuy ? but keep that information under wraps.

Final point
I learned of the problem in this thread. I never fly above my set RTH altitude, and set my RTH altitude to 250 meters, as that covers all hills within 3 miles. Your RTH should always be set higher than you intend to fly. IMHO, it is pilot error and negligence to set your RTH to lower than your flight elevation. You chose an RTH lower than you were flying, without understanding the consequences.

I agree. However, if you have read this thread, you now have a workaround. Anyone flying a new DJI aircraft knows that they need to follow these early user experiences here to know what bugs to avoid and look out for. They all have bugs of some sort at the beginning. It is unavoidable. DJI's one year warranty also covers all these well documented bugs, until they have been fixed in firmware updates.
It is almost impossible for me to actually experience this bug in real life situation since I a) almost never fly over RTH altitude, b) never use manual RTH, c) always cancel auto RTH as soon as I'm in control again, d) read the posts on phantom pilots. But I'm also aware that drone owners today are not only some geek looking enthusiasts but most of them are people which just bought them as their first RC and the only thing they did was casualty read the manual. At best. And since they probably still have their RTHs at 30m and they love to RTH, they are most certainly going to hit that 500m ceiling. And that is dangerous.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: GadgetGuy
It is almost impossible for me to actually experience this bug in real life situation since I a) almost never fly over RTH altitude, b) never use manual RTH, c) always cancel auto RTH as soon as I'm in control again, d) read the posts on phantom pilots. But I'm also aware that drone owners today are not only some geek looking enthusiasts but most of them are people which just bought them as their first RC and the only thing they did was casualty read the manual. At best. And since they probably still have their RTHs at 30m and they love to RTH, they are most certainly going to hit that 500m ceiling. And that is dangerous.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Agreed on all accounts. You and I and most experienced pilots all follow a) through d). The box may say "Ready to Fly," but that doesn't mean the "pilot" is ready to fly! Bugs are always potentially dangerous, but negligent operation is far more dangerous! This bug also requires negligent operation to be triggered. That is forseeable, so DJI is potentially on the hook, and fixing the bug is certainly a priority for them. :cool: New Users: Set your RTH above the highest elevation you will be flying, and learn to fly before you manually use RTH!

This bug is really annoying and can bring the drone at an altitude not comply with air safety

Knowing that DJI can take several months to write a new version of its software, it condemns the Phantom 4 Pro users to never operate a RTH

I tried pretty much all the solutions to work around the problem, but without success

but EUREKA!

I found a method to avoid that the bug does not occur due to play on the left stick and to force it to back down is of even one meter, cancels this unwanted altitude filming!

I checked it several times, and the trick works !

You didn't know you could control altitude during RTH with left stick? I urge you to read the owners manual. ;)

Also it is the pilot's responsibility to ensure the drone stays within legal limits, it is not the drone's responsibility. :)

The features such as RTH and obstacle avoidance are nice, but they should be failsafes, not primary use. You should fly the craft back manually and not use RTH. Or if signal loss as soon as you regain signal, cancel RTH and fly back manually.

Reactions: snowwind168
You didn't know you could control altitude during RTH with left stick? I urge you to read the owners manual. ;)

Also it is the pilot's responsibility to ensure the drone stays within legal limits, it is not the drone's responsibility. :)

The features such as RTH and obstacle avoidance are nice, but they should be failsafes, not primary use. You should fly the craft back manually and not use RTH. Or if signal loss as soon as you regain signal, cancel RTH and fly back manually.

Each its use and if DJI has designed software that allows a "SMART RTH"
Feel free to use it or not
it is not here to receive flying lessons to anyone
Thank you

I don't understand what you're saying.

RTH is an automatic procedure during which nobody is supposed to manually use the left stick
You are probably an expert of pilotage which always knows back to base manually
But everyone isn't like you, you don't have to give flying lessons
Humility is the first quality of a pilot

Now you understand ?

RTH is an automatic procedure during which nobody is supposed to manually use the left stick
You are probably an expert of pilotage which always knows back to base manually
But everyone isn't like you, you don't have to give flying lessons
Humility is the first quality of a pilot

Now you understand ?

I think I understand what you are saying but it makes little to no sense. Left stick operation during RTH is usefull and well documented feature.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews