Secure your WiFii Connection

Does the wifi totally shut off, or does it switch to a different wifi source? If it is switching to a different wifi source, you might try any free wifi prioritizing Android app found in the Google Play store. Basically, you set the Phantom wifi as the prioritized one so your Android will only use that source whenever it detects the Phantom's wifi signal and won't switch off of it.

But if your wifi is completely turning off by itself (as in NO wifi connection at all), then I would say there is a problem with your Android as the device should not be able to just turn off wifi mode by itself. At least I've never heard of that happening under normal use.

I do IT security work for a certain company and worst case, which is kinda bad... someone could SSH in and screw up your wifi settings rendering your wifi module/phantom useless (in terms of connecting to it)

I don't have mine encrypted as it adds abit of overhead i.e your loose some distance; however I have changed the root passwd on my wifi module and RE so that threat has been naturalized shall we say... If someone is smart enough to figure out how to send commands to it over the wifi to fly to x and y I'll flip to ATII, as far as I know thats not possible.. yet...

Don't get to caught up in the wifi take over senerio. Not gonna happen. Have to be bound using a particular MAC address. In addition the wifi is 2.4 ghz and the Phantom controls are 5.8 ghz. Can't control the Phantom from your Wifi. Only the gimbel. Besides who going to sit around for days try to connect not knowing when your going to make that 18 minute flight. Let's look at the facts!

someone can send commands to the drone, or the repeater, or etc. if on the same network. I thnk they were sending reset commands or pushing them off the wifi or something,, I heard the drone immediately falls like a rock :)
Nope... Can't control the RC signal that is 5.8 ghz from a 2.4 ghz wifi unit. Only controls video and gimbel not the quad.

I disagree to a certain degree... with no wifi protection an attack could connect to your wifi network, SSH into the wifi module, use a number of very easy tricks to kick your client off (I was about to list 4 techniques but figured best not mentioned) connect his client/app and send the phantom off into a tree using auto pilot. Obviously you could quickly switch to ATI but the threat is real; However... Like I said I don't use encryption due to the overhead/reduced range, but I did change the root password which did cause a few issues with the app but its given me all the protection I'm satisfied with. I'm still not protected, but protected to a level I'm happy with.

Don't get to caught up in the wifi take over senerio. Not gonna happen. Have to be bound using a particular MAC address. In addition the wifi is 2.4 ghz and the Phantom controls are 5.8 ghz. Can't control the Phantom from your Wifi. Only the gimbel. Besides who going to sit around for days try to connect not knowing when your going to make that 18 minute flight. Let's look at the facts!

*edit* anyone doubting me/this.... I'm more than happy to do a demonstration if someone in melb australia wants to meet up.. I won't send it into a tree but will take it over and send it on a diff flight path :] (I've tested it... not that it really needs testing, but was flying with a friend and did it to him secretly.... Was nothing malicious and in a big open field, so no chance of crashing and I told him to switch to ATI about 5 seconds after it flew away on its mission)

Standard DJI SDK can completely control the drone and camera (such as pitch, roll, yaw, take-off, landing, take a picture, etc). It can even upload a waypoint 5 miles away then landing at a specified location to steal your drone.

Changing root password is about to lock 1 door (SSH), but there are other doors getting in the drone.

Really.. Come on guys you over road a bound MAC address and took over his quad and controlled it. Explain what you used and the steps to reprogram the quad through the SDK.
Let's see you looked at the available Wifi connections saw a Phantom connection SID and what next? You broke into the wifi extender or to the Phantom wifi Transmitter? Then....

Video feed trouble shooting
Please try the following steps:
• Ensure you have upgraded all DJI products to their latest firmware. Check updated, plus the camera firmware
• Ensure you are connected to the wifi phantom-xxxx SID
. Check bluetooth be sure it is off
• Ensure your phone has been updated to the latest software.
• Ensure you have closed all other multi-tasking applications.
• Check the free space on your mobile device, it is recommend having at least 3GB available, less storage could be causing an issue.
• Try deleting the app from your phone and downloading it again.
• Reduce the preview framerate from 30 fps to 15 fps in the Settings of the DJI Vision app.
Check your wifi battery level.
Check the three leads going to the gimbal to be sure they are tight. Check each one closely for any pins that may have pulled up and loose.
If the above don't get it then the only remaining check is the video feed plug on the wifi transmitter under the shell.
If that's ok then it's most likely a damaged or burnt out wifi transmitter if you still see the SID.

How can I tell if my vision 2 is recording if the wifi connection quits. I'm flying very low in my yard.

After you land power off the Phanton and pull the Sd card and view in in the PC/MAC. Look at the highest number file. Check the date time stamp. Also view it and see if it was he flight you just did. That's it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers