SD Card choice

Reaction score
After checking the list, I believe some of these SD Cards would be an overkill.
I don't fly professionally.
I fly for pure enjoyment, but I would like to get some good snap shots and videos.
I just don't have any idea which card would suit me.
That's why I turned to the Phantom Pilot Pro's.
Which one do you think will work awesome with my P3P with a 4k camera?
A) SanDisk Ultra 32GB Micro SDHC UHS-1 $12.00
B) SanDisk Extreme 32GB 90/Lbs SDHC UHS-1 $18.00
C) SanDisk Extreme 32GB Micro SDHC UHS-1 $18.95
D) SanDisk Micro SDHC V30 32GB Extreme Pro $26.96
E) SanDisk Extreme Plus 32 GB Micro SDXC UHS-1 / U3 $46.99
F) SanDisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC UHS-1 $22.99
G),SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC UHS-1 $35.79
H)SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB Class 10 UHS-1 95 Mbps Read / U3 $41.34
I) SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB Micro SDXC UHS-1 / U3 $59.95

Money wise, D, E, G, H, I to me, would be an overkill.
What are your recommendations of any of the SanDisk cards?

Any of these memory cards (or memory cards with similar specs) would be okay to use.

Out of your list above, I'd personally buy the SanDisk Extreme Pro. It has a fast read/write speed and is a good value price-wise. I also own those memory cards and never had any trouble with them.

Sandisk.jpg

The P3P is only able to write data to the memory card at a max speed of 7.5 MB/s. You should be good as long as your memory card of choice can consistently write faster than that. And if you want to be able to transfer files between your computer quickly, you shouldn't buy a memory card with a slow write/read speed.

Last edited:
I only use the SD Extreme Pro 32gb cards these days - they can also be used in my 2 hand held cameras (with adapter). I shoot RAW and there's definitely a noticeable difference using a fast card when taking lots of shots in a short period. I often do panoramic (using Litchi) and I've had no lost shots since using these cards. Also, Pix4d capture is more reliable.

Not sure about video, my P3A doesn't shoot 4K - I'm sure someone will chime in.

Also, if your PC doesn't have a native USB3 card reader get hold of one (I use an Anker) - it makes a big difference when transferring files.

I notice the cards in your list are all UHS 1 speeds which only guarantees a minimum write speed of 10 MB/s, although many will be a lot faster. If possible try to find a UHS 3 class which has a guaranteed write speed of 30 MB/s and they can be found available for about the same price if you search. The speed class is identified by a U with either a 1 or a 3 inside.

The advertised speed on most cards is usually the read speed which is usually much faster than the write speed so I wouldn't put a great deal of faith in that figure. If your choice is SanDisk their latest V30 speed cards are good and I've found them to be slightly faster than their standard UHS 3, although the guaranteed speed is still 30 MB/s.

Also, as the previous poster stated, when used with your PC/Laptop you'll need to use a USB 3.0 adapter in a USB 3.0 port to get anywhere near the maximum speed for both read and write.

I only use the SD Extreme Pro 32gb cards these days - they can also be used in my 2 hand held cameras (with adapter). I shoot RAW and there's definitely a noticeable difference using a fast card when taking lots of shots in a short period. I often do panoramic (using Litchi) and I've had no lost shots since using these cards. Also, Pix4d capture is more reliable.

Not sure about video, my P3A doesn't shoot 4K - I'm sure someone will chime in.

Also, if your PC doesn't have a native USB3 card reader get hold of one (I use an Anker) - it makes a big difference when transferring files.

Don't all laptops have a card reader where I could just use it along with the adapter you get with your card?

Don't all laptops have a card reader
You can use it if your laptop has an integrated memory card reader. If not, you can connect a memory card reader (like this one) to a USB 3.0 port (a blue USB port).

MemoryCardReader.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4