Video looks bad

is the number in the redbox the shutter speed or are the numbers above it the shutter speed
not sure how to set it to 1/60
In this screenshot with the red box, first let me point out that up near the top it tells you the shutter speed is set to 1/160 (right next to ISO 100). Of course the *setting* says 160 to save space which causes confusion for non photographers not used to shutter speed nomenclature. If you set it to 60, then you should see 1/60 up top next to ISO.

The red box is highlighting EV or exposure value. This may be getting too deep but that can have two meanings. In some cases (I think in manual mode) it tells you by how many stops over or underexposed your image will be with your present settings. If your in an auto mode (full auto, aperture prio or shutter prio) it is a *setting* that lets you dial in an exposure compensation if you think the lighting might fool the auto exposure.

Reactions: Harleydude
So this is the shutter speed setting right
if i put it on 60 the video looks super light
and if this camera only shoots 1080 at 60fps tops why does the shutter speeds go so low and hight in numbers
sorry if i sound dumb cuss i am when it come to this stuff

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).jpg
    Screenshot (6).jpg
    804.7 KB · Views: 245
So this is the shutter speed setting right
if i put it on 60 the video looks super light
and if this camera only shoots 1080 at 60fps tops why does the shutter speeds go so low and hight in numbers
sorry if i sound dumb cuss i am when it come to this stuff
That screenshot says it’s set at 1/160 sec. The +1.7 EV in the red box is telling you the image is overexposed by 1.7 stops. If you slow the shutter speed without changing anything else then, yes, the image will be even more overexposed (although the screencap doesn’t look that overexposed to me. I’d have to take the raw image off the card and post process it. But I digress).

If you don’t understand the basics of the relationship of ISO, shutter speed and aperture for proper exposure, I suggest you find a beginner photo book that explains it - or watch YouTube videos on it. It’s not a drone specific concept.

But let me say this: typically if you want to drop your shutter speed from 1/160 to 1/60, that it increasing light by about 1.3 stops. That would normally mean that you would compensate (if shooting manually) by closing the aperture by about 1.3 stops. But looks like your drone has a fixed aperture so you can’t do that. This is where people use screw on neutral density filters over the lens to cut down the light if they want to use a 1/60 shutter speed in bright light.

But I really think this is getting a bit too advanced for you right now.

With respect to why the shutter speed numbers go so low and so high if you can only go up to 60fps... one answer is that some drone videographers don’t care about the “twice the frame rate” rule for a cinematic look. They will be fine shooting video with a 1/250 shutter speed. Another answer is that these drones are also used for still photography where the “twice frame rate” doesn’t apply. A wide range of shutter speed gives more creative options for low light or long exposure photography.

No that number in the red box is not Shutter speed. The control under the blue “Shutter” is the shutter speed control. They leave off the “1/“ for brevity. This is done on SLRs too. The makers assume you know that shutter speed below 1 second is in fractions of a second.
Think i got rid of the jello and ghosting and figured out the shutter speed but boy my color is off did not look yellow on my phone

did what you said set the shutter to 1/60 now not sure why the video is yellow
it was smokey out side today even was blocking the sun forest fires
I wouldn’t declare victory on the jello just yet. Your first video did not seem to have it. While your second one had it a lot. I do not believe the shutter speed would have caused the jello in your second video. But we shall see I could be wrong.

With respect to the color, it does look pretty bad. You should share some other settings such as what color profile you were using and what white balance setting you used

the other setting were just auto
Don’t use auto white balance.

I don’t think the profile has an auto setting.

Don’t take this the wrong way but I’d suggest you curl up with the manual at this point and familiarize yourself with all the settings. May be more efficient than this Q/A method.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm so late on getting into this conversation - but your original video looked great, except for the herky-jerky movements, and you were not using the "rule of thirds". You had too much sky in the whole video. I suggest you find a video that shows you how to set up the control settings on your drone - you can change them so it isn't so quick to respond, which results in a much smoother video, especially, the yaw setting. Although pretty old (2015), this video shows you how to change the settings on a P3 controller so it doesn't respond so herky-jerky:

The other thing you can check, is video your video on someone else's computer. My monitor tends to show some funny lines that aren't really there sometimes. But your original video looked great, I'd stick with those settings, and then make the adjustments in the link I provided above.

Happy flying!

Why do i have flickering think that what its called
I calibrated the camera the imu
even put new rubbers on the gimbal
and this is the sd card im using
64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 4K Memory Card for DJI Mavic Pro, Spark, Phantom 4, Phantom 3 Quadcopter 4K UHD Camera Drone - UHS-1 V30
Wind were only 9kmh

1 minute in I see nothing wrong. Where in the video do you see this flickering??? The jerky panning could be minimized by changing your gain and EXP settings. Other than that, I see nothing physically wrong with the footage.

D

Wow you guys can't see anything
it the hole video just look at the trees
there like a ghosting and jello effect .

Okay...so minor that one really has to scrutinize the trees to see it. That said...

Close your aperture up you can lower your shutter speed. I'm going to guess you should be shooting F/8 on a sunny day...maybe less. Adhere to the 180° Shutter rule and that will probably solve that problem. If you're finding that you have to go much lower than F/8, add a 2-stop ND filter.

D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20