Scary Thoughts ..... Best Buy Email .....

Reaction score
Got an email from Best Buy pushing the coming of about 10 different brands of Drones ....including Phantom ... Sorry but I think its going to be tough going with all the idiots than can just walk into BB and buy a UAV off the shelf and go home and cause issues .....otf

Same thing was said couple years ago .
I am just shocked it took them so long to stock them all about the money ..

To their defense, Best Buy is directing customers to the AMA and to the Know Before You Fly websites.
And, why the hostility? Have you never been a newbie at anything? If anything we should be welcoming the new users and if they buy a Phantom, hope they find this forum.

To their defense, Best Buy is directing customers to the AMA and to the Know Before You Fly websites.
And, why the hostility? Have you never been a newbie at anything? If anything we should be welcoming the new users and if they buy a Phantom, hope they find this forum.
Exactly! There is strength in numbers. The more profit these stores make selling them, the more they will side with us over silly, local and/or state ordinances against them. The Fed will soon see it our way, but they just move way too slow and as usual, are playing catch-up. The drone market and technology is going through a boom right now!

I hope your right ..... Yup ... I was a newbie .....but one with common sense ....( Albeit Limited ) ....... I dont think NBC will report on my uneventful flight from last weekend but will be all over the flight that ends up in a crowd ........ otf

We were all noobs once. However, there is an inverse relationship between accessibility and knucklehead participation. Best Buy has removed one of the few remaining barriers to entry. Thus we can arguably expect a higher participation from knuckleheads.

I really don't see that Best Buy selling drones will have a major impact on anything. The internet is full of outlets selling all kinds of quadcopters. I don't see many running into Best Buy to buy one and having to pay their local tax when they can order online, tax free and most with free shipping. I don't know anyone that has a Phantom other than one of my customers and he won it. I don't see it as scary at all. Stupid people have always existed and always will. These same people drive automobiles, buy fireworks, own weapons, which will more likely hurt you before their drone will. Hell, my little trainer quads can hurt you if they hit you just right. Rc helicopters are far more dangerous than a quadcopter in my opinion. But, being easier to fly, there will more quads to get you. Most helicopters have a short life. Some people can be dangerous with butter knife.

Got an email from Best Buy pushing the coming of about 10 different brands of Drones ....including Phantom ... Sorry but I think its going to be tough going with all the idiots than can just walk into BB and buy a UAV off the shelf and go home and cause issues .....otf
More bad press for us law abiding pilots!

New to the forum. Had a P2 and now own a P3. If you think about it RC planes and helicopters have been around for a long time. Not everyone goes out and gets one even though they are readily available. These drones are not inexpensive. I think just like the RC planes many will want one but only few will get them because of economics and the cost or repairs. Just my opinion.

True, but UAVs have moved beyond toy RC planes and helicopters; unsafe flyers will harm the emerging UAV industry. Only takes one mishap to grab the 24 hr. media's attention. FOX/CNN et al seem to have a woodie for "drones." Anyone I personally observe doing stupid crap with anything but a toy quad I will talk to and if they persist, report to the cops or property owners, or FAA, depending on circumstances. I just spent hours drafting my 333 petition and operations manual and will not stand by while our UAV activities are threatened.

Yes, I understand my position does not endear me to the you tube crowd...oh well.

True, but UAVs have moved beyond toy RC planes and helicopters; unsafe flyers will harm the emerging UAV industry. Only takes one mishap to grab the 24 hr. media's attention. FOX/CNN et al seem to have a woodie for "drones." Anyone I personally observe doing stupid crap with anything but a toy quad I will talk to and if they persist, report to the cops or property owners, or FAA, depending on circumstances. I just spent hours drafting my 333 petition and operations manual and will not stand by while our UAV activities are threatened.

Yes, I understand my position does not endear me to the you tube crowd...oh well.

First, I would argue that Phantoms are already purchased by droves of "idiots" that have never flown anything else before.

Second... it's a Phantom... At least here in the USA, you can buy sportbikes that go 180 mph with almost nothing. A Phantom in newbs hands is not the end of the world.

And, it's good for spare parts! :)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
yeah but at least you need a license and the cops eventually nail you.

The thing that RC stores do that best buy does not (or any other large retailer not into RC), is the RC stores push you to start with a small quad and work your way up. If my first quad had been a Phantom 3, the camera and gimbal wouldn't have lasted long. I don't really see a Phantom as a "fly for fun" quad, its a photo/video platform.

The reason I have always said there would never be a flying car, is more than 1/2 of the people I know that drive a car couldn't or shouldn't fly anything, some don't have the skills and some don't have the common sense.

Hopefully the people that aren't responsible will crash quickly and not hurt anyone, and realize if you don't fly safe and crash, its an expensive hobby

I'd say there is a better chance of an online buyer being more educated about drone operation. Best Buy sales would include impulse buys and grandmother's buying a nice gift for their grandson. I'm generalizing but same point. But we knew this day was coming.

I agree with andy.i owned rc cars helicopters etc.i fould pretty much easy controlling the phantom,still i admit that there is milion things i should know about them.they are delicate machines,expensive ones,and they are not for racing stunting etc.they are very good machines for photos and videos.first flight i did on clean land and still got amazed of phots/videos.

Shortly said 2 much money to joke around with it even for dummbest ppl on planet.and in my opinion their perfmormance are not fun at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic