Flight Over the Gulf using Titan Cyclone Antenna!

Reaction score
Well...I am finally on vacation and getting to play with my Drones at the Beach. If you have seen some of my other post, I am big into testing different items and today, I broke out my new Titan Cyclone 2.4 here in Mexico Beach Florida.

I spent the morning flying around from our porch with the Titan Tactical Case and my Mavic and had a great, although somewhat scary time.(More on that later) The winds were directly south @ 23 mph and the Little Mavic almost got stuck out at sea. With some creative piloting, I brought her home. Sport mode would have worked well from the get go but by the time I needed it, I had to conserve Battery and was forced to do some current diving to bring her home.

Anyway, I went down to the beach today to test out the Titan and my P4P. Still had strong winds but the for most of my flights, it handled them with ease. After two Battery’s worth of pushing the limits, I plugged in my last charged battery and decided to go for the tip of Cape San Blas which is across a large SCARY STRECH OF OCEAN from where I was, in Mexico Beach.

Met some folks on the beach who were headed out in their boats and exchanged phone numbers so they could act as spotters and I got ready for the flight. Below is a screenshot of the Titan Cyclone Signal strength through out the flight. The video I took is still uploading to YouTube so I will post that tomorrow.

It was a beautiful flight and scary as heck but I am glad I did it. The Phantom 4 Pro is a beast of a little bird and the camera is plain sick..When I arrived at the tip of the Cape, I turned around and tried coming straight back. I soon realized, that while I was flying at a good clip,(compared to the Mavic in non sport mode) there was no way I was going to make it back against that headwind in time. So again, I busted out some creative piloting and flew alongside the wind, always staying close enough to land in case I had to ditch it.

Luckily, it all worked out and with the Titan Cyclone 2.4, I flew over 16,000/ft feet one way and over 40,000/ft round trip. I still had almost full bars when I turned the bird around. I will post the video tomorrow..Scary!!

CM1mE8.png

Last edited:
I'm interested in knowing what the advantage is to the Titan system, so I always read Titan threads but I never seem to see anything that encourages me to want a Titan antenna. For example, the stock range is 4.3 miles, so I would expect a modded antenna to do better.

Below is a guy who flew right out of the box (no mod) and went 18,000 feet distance which is nice but still not quite the stock max range for the P4P.

What I'd like to see is a Titan antenna flight that beats the max stock range... and also beats some of the other antennas available such as the ITELITE.

Nice flight. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: geejdee
Hey,

I understand completely but what people don't understand is that you will NOT get the DJI published distance when using DJI's stock antenna. I was lucky to get maybe 5000 ft.(MAX) Are you referring to THIS ITELITE antenna(Attached)? Well, I have it on my kitchen table right now here at the beach with me. This is a great antenna, WHEN I use it boosted in conjunction with my Titan Tactical case. Otherwise, it would NEVER go the distance I went yesterday using the Titan Cyclone. Are you for some reason under the impression it will? Well, I have it with me right now and let me tell you straight up, it WILL NOT.

People get lucky sometimes I guess. I however have both of these on my kitchen counter right now and the Titan Cyclone 2.4 will hands down beat the unboosted ITELITE. I will do a test today, and post it here so you can see that first hand. Its beautiful outside so I will enjoy doing it!!

Also, the video of the flight to the Cape is posted above now!!

IMG_0157.jpg

Reactions: Bad Brad
This guy flew six miles stock:

Yes, I'm referring to that maxxrange Itelite. I have one on one of my controllers.

We don't need to test the maxxrange itelite because it's already been tested in Chuck's video in the post above - the AC went 7.5 miles with no amp.

What I want to see is evidence that the Titan is superior to an Itelite...

I am looking for a reason to buy a Titan for my next modded controller...

Thank-you

This guy flew six miles stock:

Yes, I'm referring to that maxxrange Itelite. I have one on one of my controllers.

We don't need to test the maxxrange itelite because it's already been tested in Chuck's video in the post above - the AC went 7.5 miles with no amp.

What I want to see is evidence that the Titan is superior to an Itelite...

I am looking for a reason to buy a Titan for my next modded controller...

Thank-you

Well...Yes we do need to test the ITELITE because the video above is just not the truth in everyday conditions. You will see today when I am done. I have both the Titan Cyclone AND the ITELITE right here in front of me and he did not. So, we will see which one is superior and that should be enough TRUE information to make your decision. I already know the answer but I will be happy to show you why in a comparison.

You have to understand this one fact. In real world conditions, an amplified antenna is ALWAYS going to beat an un boosted antenna and I will prove that to you today at the beach in optimal conditions.

I don't understand. What do you mean - amplified antenna?

DJI's stock max range as listed in the specs is not meant to be for every day conditions. Their stock max range is for optimum conditions.

Thanks

Yes, I understand that and the distance listed by DJI is a joke..Not gonna happen. The Titan Cyclone is amplified by 3 watts so that your signal can be increased. (Bidirectional)

Look, I have both antennas in front of me and I will do the test today and report the results. It doesn't get much more conclusive than that.

Well...I am finally on vacation and getting to play with my Drones at the Beach. If you have seen some of my other post, I am big into testing different items and today, I broke out my new Titan Cyclone 2.4 here in Mexico Beach Florida.

I spent the morning flying around from our porch with the Titan Tactical Case and my Mavic and had a great, although somewhat scary time.(More on that later) The winds were directly south @ 23 mph and the Little Mavic almost got stuck out at sea. With some creative piloting, I brought her home. Sport mode would have worked well from the get go but by the time I needed it, I had to conserve Battery and was forced to do some current diving to bring her home.

Anyway, I went down to the beach today to test out the Titan and my P4P. Still had strong winds but the for most of my flights, it handled them with ease. After two Battery’s worth of pushing the limits, I plugged in my last charged battery and decided to go for the tip of Cape San Blas which is across a large SCARY STRECH OF OCEAN from where I was, in Mexico Beach.

Met some folks on the beach who were headed out in their boats and exchanged phone numbers so they could act as spotters and I got ready for the flight. Below is a screenshot of the Titan Cyclone Signal strength through out the flight. The video I took is still uploading to YouTube so I will post that tomorrow.

It was a beautiful flight and scary as heck but I am glad I did it. The Phantom 4 Pro is a beast of a little bird and the camera is plain sick..When I arrived at the tip of the Cape, I turned around and tried coming straight back. I soon realized, that while I was flying at a good clip,(compared to the Mavic in non sport mode) there was no way I was going to make it back against that headwind in time. So again, I busted out some creative piloting and flew alongside the wind, always staying close enough to land in case I had to ditch it.

Luckily, it all worked out and with the Titan Cyclone 2.4, I flew over 16,000/ft feet one way and over 40,000/ft round trip. I still had almost full bars when I turned the bird around. I will post the video tomorrow..Scary!!

CM1mE8.png

Heck yes!! I love my Titan Atlas Antenna hands down the way to go!!!

Everyone sticking up for stock drones and putting down Titan is foolish lol I’ve ran both no comparison bust out some money and see for yourself instead of questioning and putting down a product when you have zero clue what your even saying...

I agree... I am confused sometimes why people would even think there is a comparison..However, we will test it today just for kicks..

Reactions: Bad Brad
I agree... I am confused sometimes why people would even think there is a comparison..However, we will test it today just for kicks..

I deleted that just because I didn’t feel like arguing but glad it’s still their [emoji23][emoji1365] can’t wait to see your results

Actually, I don't either so lets keep this scientific to some degree. I hate arguing on these threads.I own both systems and the ITELITE is a great antenna for a stock upgrade but its not in the same class as the Titan. That being said, I do amplify the ITELITE when using it with my Titan tactical case. In that instance, its on par with the Titan all day long. I just love Titan's clean install of their offerings. When using other amp systems, its a mess and in the case of the 4hawks, its just falls off the front of the remote randomly. It's very frustrating. I will test the Amplified Titan Cyclone and the ITELITE and post the results.

Exactly well said.. This is how strongly I feel that the Titan mod is necessary for where I fly here in Alaska, yesterday I acquired a inspire one version 2 mint condition I won’t even be flying it stock without modding the controller to handle my booted antenna. [emoji1317]

I actually don’t have the connections to test the ITelite from my modded controller. I left them at home. But I do have the capability to test the ITELITE boosted from my tactical box with the Mavic. I’ll post the results. The ITELITE is a great antenna, especially boosted.

I’m headed down to the beach to do it now and I have a feeling I’m gonna get some good results. Very little wind today.

9e6bc8848253e2d0a49460cf025adf94.jpg

All setup on the beach for a boosted Mavic run using the ITELITE boosted by my Titan Tactical Case..Wind = 4 and perfect KPI index..Should be interesting..

839fbe94b13efee9fa7ab39466a93d2a.jpg

So yeah...With the boosted ITELITE, I went as far as the battery would go..Pic below and data from the flight below that. So, as you can see, the ITELITE is a great antenna when boosted. I am not knocking it at all. Its all about the amps and the reason I "prefer" Titan, is because they package the equipment so nicely.. The ITELITE without the amps was giving me flicking at 7000 feet. Boosted is best if just for video transmission quality.

IMG_1715.PNG

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 3.07.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 3.07.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 3.08.14 PM.png

Ive hit 16000 with the itelite boosted on my P3S. Insane distance for that bird.

Attachments

• P3SRECORD.JPG
    P3SRECORD.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 397
It seems that you guys have done a LOT of research and have had considerable success with drone amplified antennas. I am hoping that you can make some recommendations for me.

I have a P4 (not the pro). While it has served me very well, and I have had a lot of fun and have some great photos and videos, I have always been a little disappointed with the maxim flight distance with the stock antennas. It also seems that my maximum distance went down slightly when I installed the HDMI module. Currently my maximum distance before I start dropping pixels is about 3150 feet. I don't mind spending a few hundred on a technology that works. What antenna booster can you recommend, and what would think my improved range would be?

The first thing I'd try if I was you is the windsurfer deflector - it's very reasonably priced, a breeze to install, and potentially offers very nice range improvement.

Reactions: David Kraft
Really nice and I am impressed with your courage! LOL I have had my Phantom 4 advance for a couple of months now and have not got the courage to fly across a major street to fly over a small lake that is about a mile. :) I guess my question is the rule of maintaining VLOS. Did the spotters on the boats assist? I think I can see my drone at a mile but it is difficult. I am looking into the antenna you used that may help to give me the courage to go over that lake. LOL Thanks for the video. It helps.

Reactions: NitroMan

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl