Phantom 4-Standard vs. 3SE or 4-Adv or Pro?

Reaction score
Mornin All, newbie here.

I was going to buy a P3SE for $599 at Best Buy until I found a P4 at Micro Center, (only 25 stores nationwide/ 2 in TX, wth happened to them?). The P4 was listed at $1199 but many places have it on sale for $999. I jumped on an open box complete with factory warranty for $635 plus tax=$688 out the door so I think I did pretty good.

Now my dilemma #1: I live outside of Houston in the country & Micro Center, 2 hours away had no in-house extended warranty plans but I think Best Buy, 45 mins away does. DJI said I need to or should buy their own in-house for $219 for 1 year which is higher than any other model. I have read all kinds of problems of owners when dealing with DJI direct in LA for support or warranty work. It appears that you are guilty/at fault 10 times over before they give in and say you're innocent. Not to mention the avg. 1-2 month lag time. I was told to buy from Best Buy from the ex-UAV Direct guys at the parent company outside of Austin b/c Best Buy would just swap one out on the spot.

#2-I know the the 3SE doesn't have the Vision System obstacle detection but the 3SE does have the dual channel RC. Living in the country should this be a necessity or a backup/safety net if I cannot get a signal? I'm thinking about taking it back to Micro Center, waiting 2 months for Black Friday and maybe I can get a P4-Adv for $999 or less at Best Buy? Or maybe a P4-Pro for $1199 or less. Do they go on sale then? Or should I just sit tight and keep the P4, buy DJI's plan or not, and go buy more batteries b/c of the deal I got?

I will use it for some recreation but I am in real estate and will use this for my own seller's listings and not charge a fee. Do I need to be FAA certified or is that only if I charge a fee to say another realtor for their listing?

Any thoughts? Sorry so long. Many Thanks In Advance

Welcome crsttfr. I have a P4 for 17 months now I did not buy dji's plan and I have not had any problems with my craft. I am almost at 7,000,000 feet with over 400 flights and about 90 hrs. The video is very good but I find the stills could be better. If I was to buy today I would chose the P4 advanced for the better camera, apart from that the P4 flys like a charm and has range and for me proven dependability (so far) . at 688 tax in you got excellent value for your money.

Thanks for the reply. Have you ever wanted, needed or wished you had a dual band rc? 2.4 & 5.? whatever?

Any others fellow P4 people out there?

I'm just trying decide before my 30 days is up to take it back and buy a 3SE or a 4-ADV.

Reactions: rene van der meer
Thanks for the reply. Have you ever wanted, needed or wished you had a dual band rc? 2.4 & 5.? whatever?

Any others fellow P4 people out there?

I'm just trying decide before my 30 days is up to take it back and buy a 3SE or a 4-ADV.
I own a P4 almost a year now. I started with a P3A. The differences between the P3A and P4 are significant, although I really loved my P3A.
A P4A or pro has an even better camera (larger sensor), but for me the price difference was to much.
sensor size.jpg

At the moment I am more than happy the P4. DJI will probably launch a P4 successor within coming months, the P5?
Maybe ....

Any advice on the dual band rc? When would one use it or needs it? City or country? The DJI guy made it seem that when switched to the higher frequency, it would eliminate local wifi so it appears that it would be important if one lived in a city.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4