Scary experience

Reaction score
This past weekend I was testing a new bait dropper with my P4. Everything was going fine until I got a low battery warning. I landed the drone and switched it off. Removed the battery and replaced it with a charged one. I restarted the drone, and it took a while to connect with the console and Ipad. I think I saw something about no GPS signal or something on the screen. Nonetheless it started up, but did not hover at the usual 1.2m.Instead it accelerated upwards and flew away from me. It was not responding to my commands via the joystick at all. In no time it was about 150m away in the distance at around 25m in height. I also noticed low battery alarm. All along I was trying to regain flight control. Suddenly I managed to get control back and the drone returned to where I landed it. At this stage the battery had only 1 led flashing. It was a nerve wrecking experience!!! So I still have no idea what really happened. Anyone have some advice for me please?

This past weekend I was testing a new bait dropper with my P4. Everything was going fine until I got a low battery warning. I landed the drone and switched it off. Removed the battery and replaced it with a charged one. I restarted the drone, and it took a while to connect with the console and Ipad. I think I saw something about no GPS signal or something on the screen. Nonetheless it started up, but did not hover at the usual 1.2m.Instead it accelerated upwards and flew away from me. It was not responding to my commands via the joystick at all. In no time it was about 150m away in the distance at around 25m in height. I also noticed low battery alarm. All along I was trying to regain flight control. Suddenly I managed to get control back and the drone returned to where I landed it. At this stage the battery had only 1 led flashing. It was a nerve wrecking experience!!! So I still have no idea what really happened. Anyone have some advice for me please?
What we routinely ask is to post a link to their flight record report so we can see the details.
It almost always helps figure out issues and/or locate lost drones, but please do not feel obligated if you are not comfortable.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

Follow the instructions there to help locate your flight log file. It takes only a minute or two.
Upload your flight log to the Flight Log Viewer as explained in the instructions.
Note: Do not upload the flight log file itself to this forum.

Once you've uploaded your flight log to the Flight Log Viewer, a page will open with a detailed report of the flight.
Copy the link to that report and then post that link to this thread so that others may review the flight.
Repeat: Do not upload the flight log file itself to this forum. Only post a link to the log viewer output.

Last edited:
when you charge your batteries do you go out flying or do they sit for a few days? or have any of the batteries used been sitting for along time?

Nonetheless it started up, but did not hover at the usual 1.2m.Instead it accelerated upwards and flew away from me. It was not responding to my commands via the joystick at all. In no time it was about 150m away in the distance at around 25m in height.
Anyone have some advice for me please?
But a yaw error sounds likely but flight data is needed to see what happened.
Was there anything steel close to the drone at launch time?
What was the surface you launched from?
The low battery is confusing - data required.

Is your new bait dropper blocking your bottom sensors? That could cause the Drone to rise uncommanded. It wouldn't explain the low battery.

Thanks all for showing interest,and apologies for the late response. After some research I came to the conclusion that the problem was definitely the GPS signal loss. Happy flying guys ?

Thanks all for showing interest,and apologies for the late response. After some research I came to the conclusion that the problem was definitely the GPS signal loss. Happy flying guys ?
Next time, try to keep those involved informed occasionally. Like a reply if something worked. Glad you found the problem and reported back.?

It generally always is. As reported above, if I fall below a specific number of GPS satellites during an outdoor flight, commercial or not, I assess the conditions and the complexity of the flight, if (for instance) additional problems were introduced; like losing a video signal so I can still navigate obstacles LOS...but of course, all this can be difficult when you simply lose all control for a period.

TO avoid this and many other problems, there is a pre-flight checklist in a custom android app you can download. It's actually quite useful...and whether your new to flying or seasoned, it's great practice to get into good habits before flying.

Glad you resolved the issue.

RoOSTA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31