Scared S***less !

Reaction score
Hi all!
New member today of this forum and owner of a P2V+ yesterday but so **** busy haven't even cracked the box open !
But have been looking up must-reads before I attempt to fly including finding this forum!
I'm surprised there is no "Newbie" thread (maybe I missed it)?

Anyhoo, reading some of the threads re: issues (some major ones!) I am now scared shitless to even attempt a 1st flight !!!
I would hope that if one carefully and thoroughly reads all provided manuals and startup proceedures all "should" go well?
It does appear though that this is not always the case.
Wondering too can the bird be flown withoout the fragile gimbla/camera attached so that in the event of a crash one less damaged expensive item on board?

read the manual a couple of times , take your time and it will be fine . you just here the bad stories , there are thousands of us that have a lot of flights and no problem-o .

I'd advise anyone new to fly it without gimbal until you're comfortable w/it. To answer your question yes it can be flown w/o gimbal.

Just take it very very slowly. Make sure your S1 switch is ALWAYS in the up position for the first few weeks. There are hours of video on youtube to watch and I'd suggest watching as many hours as possible before you even fly. Make sure you watch the phantom vision (non plus) videos as 95% of them will apply to you and there are far more of them the the pv2+ videos. Make sure you watch all the videos of ex dji employee Colin Guinn doing the instructionals. Dont try anything crazy on your first week or two, but learn all the terms like Atti mode, RTH return to home, getting your home point lock, compass calibration. I'm sure I've forgotten to mention some of the basics but if anyone can add to this, please do.

Angus Macsac said:
I am now scared shitless to even attempt a 1st flight !!!

Hello Angus

Make that 2 of us because I felt the same way, I was shaking (seriously) ;)
But I can tell you that you will be surprised the moment you become airborne how easy it is and your confidence will be instant.

I had to wait for mine over a month so I had plenty of time to read read and read more. I think I watched every YouTube video out there about the Phantom.

I made my maiden flight out in the open and I was so confident that I said I can do this at home too, I was wrong :eek:
I only had 5 satellites at home and every once in a while I had 6 so home point was locked and I was confident that I can take off. After airborne and flying around trees swing set shed pool ... I lost one satellites so I also lost GPS stabilization and I almost had a hard attach and landed quickly.

The only advise I can give you, make sure you have enough satellites for your first week (6 or more).
Good luck

By the way, this is my first post here.
I'm Sam from CT
(owner of P2V+ for a week now with a big :) )

Main things to keep in mind when learning.

#1 always make sure to have both S1 and S2 switch's in the top most position before every takoff. Also turn on the controller before the Phantom.
#2 Fly in a huge wide open area without any tree's or power lines near by.
#3 Calibrate the compass
#4 Don't be afraid to give it some gas when taking off. Don't give it full throttle but remember the more throttle you give it at take off the less of a chance you will have of it tipping over on take off. If you lift off extremely slow it can move slightly in a forward motion and tip over if the legs get snagged by grass or something.Get it up about 5-6 feet off the ground so and let go of both flight sticks. It will stop and just hover in place, waiting for your next command.

The great thing about the phantom is that anyone can pretty much just pick it up and easily start flying it without any prior training and without needing an experienced flyer with you to train you or give you lessons. While learning you should always fly in wide open area's like parks or fields. The more flights you get in, the better you will become at flying and orientation.

Yes!
#1 Rule to follow or you will regret it.
Always turn off the craft first before anything else. NO EXCEPTIONS!
This has caused so many crashes and fly aways it is not funny.
Also if you were recording with the camera. stop it from the control app.
or you will corrupt your video file and lose the last 10 to 30 seconds of the video.

I can't stress how important it is to start with out the camera/gimbal.
#1 It is bloody expensive to replace. and the repair wait time is outrageous 4 weeks.
#2 You don't need the distraction, you need to focus on flying the craft and not operating the camera.

Have a preflight check list.
go slow , take baby steps.
don't fly above 30 feet until you get a good feel for the controls.
This way if you do crash it won be catastrophic.

Buy extra props you will need them! (buy only from reputable dealers like B&H photo)
do not buy the cheap knock offs you will be sorry.

Wait at least 45min before recharging batteries let them cool down before charging.

Since you hopefully won't have the camera/gimbal you won't be able to see how many satellites you have locked in,
The only way the craft will communicate to you its current status you is with the running lights. ( read the manual!)
as soon as it has more than 5 satellites the rear lights will flash green really quickly and go solid green. Then wait a solid 2 min before you take off. ( this is to ensure that you have a good sat lock)
If the running lights never go green and all stay yellow then you need to do a compass calibration. (read the manual!)

The first time I did the first maneuver take off , hover then land my heart was bout to beat out of my chest.

When you do take off don't pussyfoot with the throttle put it up to 90% for about 1 second then let it go to the center
position.
If you are too week with the throttle it might tip over.
Same with landing.
when you are less than 5-6 inches from the place you want to land hold down the throttle 100% in the center until the props stop 100% if you don't it might try to take off and tip over.

BTW I found that it is always better to take off and land from a solid surface not from grass or the dirt or sand.

I have in my flight case a pice of masonite I can place on the ground for a clean and level surface to take off and land.

I won't receive my build for a couple more weeks.

Heck, I am so nervous that I plan to mount wheels to the skids and push it around on the dining table. Don't worry, I will cover the floor with pillows just in case it falls over the side. I am wondering if I should keep the batteries in the freezer for the first couple of years.

Friend, I think its good that you're nervous. I think it's important to go slow and learn as much as you can before you put her in the air. I am still very excited, but I intend to force myself to be a very conservative pilot. There will come a day when I say to myself, "if not now, then when" and on that day, I will reach for the sky and try to see what so many others have been blessed to experience.

I have never been one to yield to paranoia, but life's experience has taught me that good planning and preparation can often save the day....even lives.

To help answer your question, I refer you to this video. http://vimeo.com/87283424 you may need to use the password of: first flight. Type it in lowercase and as a single word.

Congratulations and good luck....

Dan

p.s. My GoPro arrives today!! My dog, geese, ducks, chickens and my wonderful bride are all going to get very tired of me filming them with my new toy. I already have a "Directors chair" and a goofy looking hat to wear for my first production.

Step number 1 before you ever put it in the air is to place your name and phone number and "REWARD" on it. I have seen several Phantoms without controller or charger on Ebay and Craigslist that were obviously found by someone who did not know much about it. They might have returned it if there was a number to call and a reward.

Biggest tip I can offer is:

1) fly in big open field
2) use full power on takeoff and when up a couple feet ease off. All tip overs I had were before learning this
3) on landing, full power off and hold down, do not try the CSC (to stop the motors ever) the movement of the sticks often gives some yaw and does tip over

So full power on takeoff, full off on land when very close to ground and just hold it down and don't move any other sticks. Now, I always catch one handed and never land on surfaces, but starting out, that is the best.

davephantom said:

1) fly in big open field
2) use full power on takeoff and when up a couple feet ease off. All tip overs I had were before learning this
3) on landing, full power off and hold down, do not try the CSC (to stop the motors ever) the movement of the sticks often gives some yaw and does tip over

So full power on takeoff, full off on land when very close to ground and just hold it down and don't move any other sticks. Now, I always catch one handed and never land on surfaces, but starting out, that is the best.

Great recommendations, especially #2. You can cause more damage by babying the phantom off the ground. Do not ease into it or slowly push up the throttle. Give it full throttle and then adjust when you are off the ground. Not enough thrust will result in leaning forward and putting your front rotors right into the grass. Luckily, the Phantom is pretty well made and will take some tough hits. Just get MANY, MANY, MANY extra props to have on stand-by.

4wd said:
Gator113 said:
To help answer your question, I refer you to this video. http://vimeo.com/87283424 you may need to use the password of: first flight. Type it in lowercase and as a single word.

Most of of that is completely unhelpful if not dangerously misleading to a new Vision Plus owner.
agreed That's an older phantom with a custom setup.

davephantom said:

1) fly in big open field

Really makes me mad that this is how the manual suggest turning the engines off when landing....it is the dumbest thing you can do...the ONLY incident I have had with my phantom was landing and turning the engines off that way...it flipped upside down...Was so pissed off.

4wd said:
Gator113 said:

Most of of that is completely unhelpful if not dangerously misleading to a new Vision Plus owner.

I certainly didn't mean to be "dangerously misleading", and as stated in my post, I wanted to offer it as an answer to his single question about whether or not he should remove the camera and gimbal. I do admit that I wouldn't know whether to use a hammer or a pipe wrench to remove a gimbal from a Vision. I also tried to make it clear that I too am a rookie and unlike him, I haven't even received my build yet. The video is among the many things that DSLRPros has sent to me while I wait for their Sunrise Edition.

As a penance for my apparent reckless behavior, I will refrain from responding to other rookies and leave it up to you most learned experts.

Cheers,

Dan...the guy who will keep his **** mouth shut.

p.s. As recommended in the subject video, I fully intend to remove the camera and gimbal and leave it off for the first 10 hours for flight and/or until I am very comfortable with flying the thing, "reckless" as that may be. ;>)

borgqueenx said:
45 min of cooling down is nonsense. 10minutes would be sufficient i say.
Some people like to be safe rather than sorry. LiPo's are very sensitive things.

If I was in side with a 72F yes 10 min would be fine. out side with ambient temps above the 80's the extra time is well spent.

IT is just a suggestion for extra safety not a hard fast rule.

I agree with the recommendation to find a large open field. That means a BIG OPEN FIELD!!

Here is the checklist I go through EVERY TIME I FLY. I HAVE THE ABBREVIATED VERSION TAPED TO THE TOP OF MY Tx.

Here goes:

Phantom 2 Vision +

Pre-flight Check
Check condition of all 4 props
Check motors turn freely
WARNING:AVOID PROP WASH! DO NOT DESCEND STRAIGHT DOWN, MOVE FORWARDS OR SIDEWAYS WHEN DESCENDING. PROP WASH WILL CAUSE YOUR PHANTOM TO FLUTTER THEN FALL!

Start Sequence
(Do a compass cal if necessary. NOT EVERY TIME! Just when in a MUCH different location)

Check/install Micro SD Card
Install flight battery
Remove camera lens cover and gimbal clamp
P2V+ on ground facing forward (battery facing you)
S1 and S2 in the topmost positions

Power on the Controller first
Power on Range Extender. Flashing green System = On/Good
Power on P2V+ by pressing, releasing, press & hold 2 sec on P2V+ flight battery. Verify full charge.

NOW WATCH THE FLIGHT LEDs at rear of P2V+ (small mirror on ground helps you see LEDs)

Slow flashing yellow while acquiring satellites. This may take a minute or more sometimes!
WAIT FOR fast flashing green indicating >= 6 satellites. Do not fly without 6 satellites!
WAIT FOR slow flashing green = home position established, ready to fly. Do not fly without home position!
(If you're uncertain about achieving a home position, reset by rapid switching (5X) of S2 from position 1 to 3 to 1. You will know it got another home position because the lights will flash rapid green then return to slow green.)

Find Phantom WiFi on iPad/iPhone in App

Go to Find My Phantom. As your Phantom starts searching for satellites and locating itself you should see a red pin on the map where exactly the Phantom thinks it is via its GPS. This verifies home location which will be set at takeoff.

Start video recording if desired

Perform the CSC to start motors, and take off quickly to hover position about 15 FT up to avoid dust.

Allow the Phantom to hover and watch iOSD display to confirm the number of satellites.
I fly the Phantom out a short distance. If you monitor on Find My Phantom, you will see the Red Pin move in relationship to the home position. I think this is the best confirmation you can have of where your home position is located. If for any reason it is not where you're currently standing, LAND THE PHANTOM until you determine why.

Flight Basics

Turn Phantom with left stick and always fly Red LEDs forward.

Shutdown Sequence

Perform CSC to stop motors

End video record (video won't play later if you don't)

Power off Flight Battery

Power off Range Extender

Power off Tx

Turn off iPad/iPhone

Phantom 2 Vision +

Pre-flight Check
Check 4 props
Check motors
AVOID PROP WASH

Start Sequence
Compass S1 5X
Horizontal until Green