Scared for new firmware

Reaction score
I’m really torn about this and gone thru 4 p4p’s so experience says a lot here.
1st p4p - {fly away} updated before I even flew the first time...had problems the entire time.
2nd p4p - {crash} not sure if it’s related, never got a clear answer from DJI.
I’ve always had problems with green and black screen no matter what. I’ve done everything I know but still end up with problems and yes, I understand that this a very talked about issue. I’ve shortened my cable to a 1’ more robust cable, changed my mgz, turned off cache and yes I’ve made sure no apps are running in the back ground. I’ve done so much reading that my head is spinning on what to do because so many people talk about how screwed up the firmware is now. With this last bird, I have NOT updated the firmware and the problems seem to be minimal but a few persist. SHOULD I update to the newest?? I’m afraid it will just make everything worse like before! Does anyone have a definitive answer on this subject??

Nobody will have a definitive answer. Sorry. My personal experience has been really good with the latest firmware so don't think that everyone is having trouble with it just because some people have. Also, some folks just don't like the NFZ restrictions with the newer firmware. If you are having connection problems then maybe your tablet/phone is part of the problem? I just upgraded my device to a super fast one and greatly improved my signal strength. Good luck!

I would leave it alone unless you can point to a single issue the firmware is designed to fix that you have.

I still have my P4 Pro Obsidian at whatever the current firmware was in March of 2018.
My P4 Vr 2.0 is still at base, even though there has been a update to fix a compass problem and drifting issue. Currently I don't get a compass issue and from reports from other pilots, the drifting issue is still present with the updated firmware. With the P4 Pro Vr 2.0, you can't go back to the original base firmware. With the P4 Pro I believe via assistant 2 or djigo4 you can go back at least 2 versions, but it's been a while since I checked this.

Paul C

Yeah...the issues with this version are far less than what I’ve experienced with the newer versions.

Change your channel settings to custom and lower the bitrate for live view down to 4 or 6 mbps instead of the 10 to 12 that auto runs will make it useful for most any device now a days.

Change your channel settings to custom and lower the bitrate for live view down to 4 or 6 mbps instead of the 10 to 12 that auto runs will make it useful for most any device now a days.

One of the first things I did...I’ve done everything

What sd card are you running? Also when does the green and black screens happen? All the time, just in video mode, just in camera mode? Tried any 3 party apps like litchi yet?

Reactions: Kissthesky
What sd card are you running? Also when does the green and black screens happen? All the time, just in video mode, just in camera mode? Tried any 3 party apps like litchi yet?
I get green screen, severe lag and my screen even goes completely black at close range sometimes. It seems to only be in video mode. No...haven't tried litchi yet

I get green screen, severe lag and my screen even goes completely black at close range sometimes. It seems to only be in video mode. No...haven't tried litchi yet
I’m gonna take a guess and say you are on 4k30 or 60 FPS? If you are drop it down to 1080 at 30 and see what happens. If it works then pull your sd card out and make sure it’s a class u3 and make sure it’s formatted also.

It’s an iPad mini 4
I've had similar issue with my Galaxy Tab S, which was the flagship tablet from Samsung in 2014. The video feed is delayed, green and unusable. Not sure about the iPad mini 4, it went out in 2015, but it might not have enough processing power either.

I've had "lost signal" disconnecting issues with my p4p2.0. Tried everything with no luck. Was using the most recent firmware. The issue disappeared when I refreshed (not updated) the firmware.

I've had similar issue with my Galaxy Tab S, which was the flagship tablet from Samsung in 2014. The video feed is delayed, green and unusable. Not sure about the iPad mini 4, it went out in 2015, but it might not have enough processing power either.

I've had "lost signal" disconnecting issues with my p4p2.0. Tried everything with no luck. Was using the most recent firmware. The issue disappeared when I refreshed (not updated) the firmware.
I use the same tablet as he does with no issues what so ever on my p4p.

I’m gonna take a guess and say you are on 4k30 or 60 FPS? If you are drop it down to 1080 at 30 and see what happens. If it works then pull your sd card out and make sure it’s a class u3 and make sure it’s formatted also.
Nope...1080 and 60fps. I have a u3 card

I've seen so many posts about the mini4...it can't keep up...just doesn't have the processing power

Reactions: higherperspective
I had similar problems, which got worse when I added the HDMI module to my P4. Tried several android platforms including the Galaxy “Flagship”. Still had the green screen, dropped video feed, stop-motion video, etc. Then moved to the Apple platform and connected my iPhone 5 to it. Problems were immediately reduced! So I looked long and hard into the IOS platforms and after much research (and saving up my money for a few months), I invested in the iPad Pro with the 9” screen, 128 meg storage, WiFi, and cellular connection. All my problems are gone now, at all bit rates. I have flown just over a mile away from the controller, and at 400’ with no issues. It may have been a bit pricey, but it is a solution that will last!

I would leave it alone unless you can point to a single issue the firmware is designed to fix that you have.

I still have my P4 Pro Obsidian at whatever the current firmware was in March of 2018.
My P4 Vr 2.0 is still at base, even though there has been a update to fix a compass problem and drifting issue. Currently I don't get a compass issue and from reports from other pilots, the drifting issue is still present with the updated firmware. With the P4 Pro Vr 2.0, you can't go back to the original base firmware. With the P4 Pro I believe via assistant 2 or djigo4 you can go back at least 2 versions, but it's been a while since I checked this.

Paul C
If it is working without issues, don’t upgrade it !!!

I had the same issue when I added that HDMI module on my Obsidian. I almost lost the Drone cause I'm half mile away and it got disconnected. And the app keeps crashing. I'm still using an old firmware, I've tried the new firmware but that didn't solve the problems.
Disconnecting the HDMI module solved everything, and I'm using DJI GO 4 ver. 4.2.8 on Galaxy Tab S3.
Aircraft and Controller are still on the old Firmware...

I’m really torn about this and gone thru 4 p4p’s so experience says a lot here.
1st p4p - {fly away} updated before I even flew the first time...had problems the entire time.
2nd p4p - {crash} not sure if it’s related, never got a clear answer from DJI.
I’ve always had problems with green and black screen no matter what. I’ve done everything I know but still end up with problems and yes, I understand that this a very talked about issue. I’ve shortened my cable to a 1’ more robust cable, changed my mgz, turned off cache and yes I’ve made sure no apps are running in the back ground. I’ve done so much reading that my head is spinning on what to do because so many people talk about how screwed up the firmware is now. With this last bird, I have NOT updated the firmware and the problems seem to be minimal but a few persist. SHOULD I update to the newest?? I’m afraid it will just make everything worse like before! Does anyone have a definitive answer on this subject??

Here's a definitive answer:

Install and KEEP this software/firmware combination, and your P4P will fly rock solid for the rest of its natural life:

App: v4.0.8
Aircraft: v1.3.509
Remote: v01.04.01.00
Precise Fly Safe database: v00.00.01.04
Basic Fly Safe database: v00.00.01.04

Turn off all the Object Avoidance crap and leave it off. Install the 32 channel hack and always run it in "Custom" mode. If you fly, and you get dropped frames, change the channel. Channel 31 (2.4GHz) seems to work very well around these parts (not a single dropped frame in the mission below). For short-range missions, I use 5.8GHz.

Our 3 P4P's fly very predictably and have been solid as a rock.

RangeTest_Annotated.jpg

Good luck

D

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member