Save your money kids... (If you're a P3 owner)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The P4 is only $140 more than what people were happily spending on a P3 Pro four weeks ago. Price-wise it amazes me what DJI has managed with prices over the past few years.

The Vision+ with 3-axis stabilized gimbal was released at the same price of the Vision ($1259). The P3 Pro, which was a MAJOR improvement in nearly every category over the Vision+, was still only $1259. With P3 Pro, Advanced, & Standard going for $999, $799, & $499 repectively, being in the market for a high-end drone is a great place to be! :)

I also like the new gimbal --- but is it worth $1400? Just be a careful pilot and the P3 gimbal works fine. :)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The motors are raised a bit in the P4. DJI said they did that to prevent/reduce this problem.

The blades are not a problem for me as I don't fly that fast to have the bird tilted at that angle to have the gimbal point up and see the blades. But the landing gear does sometimes appear in shot when adjusting an orbit.

It's ugly ..looks like a blimp

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The flight time is not that big an increase, remember that we are supposed to get 24min out of the Phantom 3 which is more like 16-18. The faster motors and 120fps are the only things that have me climbing the fence, but I am not quite on it yet. Obstacle avoidance, hidden gimbal, lock-in props, more accurate compass...these are all great additions to an already great system but, for my flying style and purpose, have no extra value over what I already have in the P3P.

HAHA I'm actually anxious to go to the dog park and use the follow me on the dog and throw some balls out there and see how well it follows her.. :)

Reactions: Myetkt and QuadBart
LOL I was thinking the exact thing.I want to use it to single out my dog and follow him around the dog park. I think it would be cool! Curious to see what it'll do when he goes over to the stream to cool off where all the trees are...

HAHA I'm actually anxious to go to the dog park and use the follow me on the dog and throw some balls out there and see how well it follows her.. :)

Reactions: Myetkt
LOL I was thinking the exact thing.I want to use it to single out my dog and follow him around the dog park. I think it would be cool! Curious to see what it'll do when he goes over to the stream to cool off where all the trees are...
If you use litchi you can use it to follow your phone.. Strap it to his neck...

The flight time is not that big an increase, remember that we are supposed to get 24min out of the Phantom 3 which is more like 16-18. The faster motors and 120fps are the only things that have me climbing the fence, but I am not quite on it yet. Obstacle avoidance, hidden gimbal, lock-in props, more accurate compass...these are all great additions to an already great system but, for my flying style and purpose, have no extra value over what I already have in the P3P.
I get minimum 22 minutes.. And I fly it like a stunt drone.. :D

if I owned a P3P or even a P3A, I probably wouldn't have as much of an itch to get the P4. as a P3S owner, I really, really want it. I've been wanting better range and maybe I should have gotten an advanced or pro from the get-go. but now I want light-bridge. and I want object tracking.

so basically, I'm planning on getting it because I don't currently have a model with light-bridge. but it sucks that I already have 3 batteries that won't work on the P4.
Was thinking just like you are. To cure the p4 itch. I just bought a used p3p. That is all I need. Thanks to members on the forum. Got like new for 650. Sweet. Looking toward to going long now. I will throw a windsurfer ang goggles on and let it rip for sure hoping to get at least 25k in distance. Over water.

Reactions: PhantomPlanet
I just don't think it will be as much fun as a P3... I won't be upgrading. £1400?? How much you reckon they make them for?

£10.99!

UK

I personally think the added technology makes it a awesome machine and it most certainly won't stop with the version one, or four, depending on your point of view. It is an evolution in the making and I for one am impressed. That being said, if I could afford it, I would have already ordered it. I can also agree that the P3 is a great machine, and I love mine; but come on, look at all this new machine has going for it. In a word, Remarkable!!!
For me, owning one would be like a kid in a candy store.
I would fly it with the attitude of, "Look at what I can do". I suppose it's no wonder my wife laughs at me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Can you use FP goggles with the P4? After too many trips to the repair shop, my Vision 2 is flying like a gem. But I'm an old fart @ 66. It's time to do what I want to do and the P4 is coming home to papa. Everyone's rationale whether it's buy or not buy is absolute right ....for them.

Not necessarily. The object image recognition and other features are going to be a processing power hog when used.
Not true. RISC processors and associated gate arrays will consume only a small fraction of a 28min flight with an 80 watt battery. 98% is consumed by motors. Just consider the quad core processor in your phone, it lasts a whole day on small 10 watt battery, and most of that is to power the backlighting. CPU and GA processing power consumption in a drone is inconsequential.

Last edited:
I personally like the direction Yuneec is going in.
If you like Yuneec's direction, I'm guessing you haven't flown a craft without Lightbridge, or maybe you haven't flown with Lightbridge. The 5X distance advantage of LB trumps any feature from Yuneec IMO. If Yuneec ever creates something like Lightbridge, that will have my attention. Until then, all the other drone releases are noise to me. I'm hoping Qualcomm does something like Lightbridge in their drone technology offering.

Last edited:
Can you use FP goggles with the P4? After too many trips to the repair shop, my Vision 2 is flying like a gem. But I'm an old fart @ 66. It's time to do what I want to do and the P4 is coming home to papa. Everyone's rationale whether it's buy or not buy is absolute right ....for them.

The p3 hdmi module will work on the p4 after an update later this month, also another hdmi out board is being produced that will work with the p3 and p4

If you like Yuneec's direction, I'm guessing you haven't flown a craft without Lightbridge. The 5X distance advantage of LB trumps any feature from Yuneec IMO. If Yuneec ever creates something like Lightbridge, that will have my attention.

I very much agree. The Typhoon H got my attention big-time. But after poring over the details/specs, I couldn't get past its distance limitation.

And I'm not someone who loves long-distance flying. I have a P2V+ and am constantly pushing its range limits with just normal flights. If I was paying $1000+ for a new bird, I'd hate still having that limitation.

Josh

From what I hear the P4 has dual IMU's and Dual compass for improved accuracy. There is a lot of tech stuffed into the P4 and sport mode sounds cool - just not sure it's a quantum leap from the P3P. I have to agree with the comment about the look of the P4 - it's a bit portly looking. The way the motors stick up on it looks like they were an after thought.

I think so too. Do you think the majority of Phantom owners are advanced flyers?
Do you think the majority of people in the RC community are advanced flyers.

Speaking of advanced flyers, why is nobly speaking of the sport mode? That will attract a whole other type of flyer. This is the day 1 specs. I can almost guarantee we will one day look back at this and laugh at the comparison.

I think the P3 will go down in history like the original Apple and the P4 may be a little closer to the Macintosh, well maybe that much but you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers