Save your money kids... (If you're a P3 owner)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Bravo DJI... The P4 is an excellent quadcopter and a nice improvement over the P3 but IMO it's not a replacement for the P3. If you really want to be like Apple then I'm still waiting for the next thing that'll blow us away.

1. IMO -- the P4 is great introduction for new customers.

2. People who are really into tracking things at low altitude. With a little bit of practice, most P3 pilots can become good at this. It's a challenge but it's doable. 90% of our stuff covers landscapes anyways. Again IMO... :)

I agree with ya 100% --- nothing really compelling for me to upgrade P3P to P4. The only thing I really like is the 28-min. flight time --- but why pony up $1400 for this when I can spend $200 on the aftermarket dual-battery kits that will get me the same 28-min. flight time on my P3P?

It does have many strong points though:
  • Larger battery (people always want to fly longer)
  • Obstacle avoidance (many people are crashing into obstacles)
  • Locking prop system (P3 props sometimes fly off when installed incorrectly)
  • Many nice design improvements (e.g. redesigned gimbal)
Minus the new tracking features, it seems DJI really hit the nail on the head issue-wise.

• Obstacle avoidance (many people are crashing into obstacles)
  • Locking prop system (P3 props sometimes fly off when installed incorrectly)
  • Many nice design improvements (e.g. redesigned gimbal)
Minus the new tracking features, it seems DJI really hit the nail on the head issue-wise.

I also like the new gimbal --- but is it worth $1400? Just be a careful pilot and the P3 gimbal works fine. :)

I also like the new gimbal --- but is it worth $1400?
No, the redesigned gimbal alone is definitely not worth the $1,400 price tag. I think the total package is though. Then again, I paid $1,259 for my P3P.

I agree, P3P owners should definetly be happy with what they got and stick to it. It's funny how some people get angry at companies for not making compelling enough products so they can spend their money even though they're very happy with what they have :)

P4 does have a lot of niceties and the question for most people is if the upgrade is worth 400 dollars choosing between P3P and P4. Like people upgrade their phones and computers, give it a rest for a year or two... What you have is pretty great, enjoy it for another year and check if P5 or if you have Pro needs maybe an Inspire 2 in the future meet your needs.

I also like the new gimbal --- but is it worth $1400? Just be a careful pilot and the P3 gimbal works fine. :)
I have exchanged at bestbuy 5 times and sent the bird in to DJI for repair, my gimbal does not "work fine". Bestbuy said they would do in store credit so alas I am returning my P3P that has been plagued with gimbal and camera issues.

Reactions: Jussaguy
I just don't think it will be as much fun as a P3... I won't be upgrading. £1400?? How much you reckon they make them for?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not necessarily. The object image recognition and other features are going to be a processing power hog when used.
I would not expect flight times more than a couple minutes longer than P3.

In my oppinion it's ok for beginers but for advanced flyers obsticle avoidance is rather usless. The same as the new type of props mounting. How many people loose their prop while flying. Also P3 has a very good gimbal! Of course if someone wants to replace P2 or any other quad or is new into the hobby P4 will be very good option. Buying P4 if someone have P3? Not a good idea.

The specs show a 5-minute difference. Assuming DJI tested both the P3 and P4 under the same conditions, I'd suspect you're right on the money.

for advanced flyers obsticle avoidance is rather usless
I think so too. Do you think the majority of Phantom owners are advanced flyers?

Reactions: Jussaguy
Not necessarily. The object image recognition and other features are going to be a processing power hog when used.

I agree 100%. The battery isn't that much bigger.

whats exciting about the P4 are the new creative option it opens, no matter how good of a pilot you are i dont see anyone manually flying their Phantom between the ground and a tractor trailer bed. impressive stuff

What would interest me more, provided they never realease the info, is whether the batteries have higher discharge rates and/or are of better quality than the P2 and P3 batteries. €169 is pushing it when in comes to batteries. Turnigy now has "Graphene" batteries that have high discharge rates and cost WAY less.
I think DJI has a DRM on their batteries mainly to make more sales on accessories and they don't have much incentive to sell batteries with high life cycle counts.

Obstacle avoidance in this case is good if you're flying forward. Once you start doing reverse shots, POI, etc., the frontal obstacle avoidance becomes useless.
But I can understand that the price of the tech doesn't currently allow 8 sensors at a $1300 price.

Bravo DJI... The P4 is an excellent quadcopter and a nice improvement over the P3 but IMO it's not a replacement for the P3. If you really want to be like Apple then I'm still waiting for the next thing that'll blow us away.

OK... Yes I'm an Apple fan boy, but I have to say, Apple has not created anything since the iPhone to blow me away. Every year the iPhone has minor enhancements over the previous, and most of those enhancements were already available on Android for years. iPads are the same, just minor upgrades & enhancements each year. iWatch, again, nothing new that had not already been out there on the street for years previous.

So... DJI is actually doing a very "Apple" thing each year with their existing models. I'll be quiet now. :)

Reactions: stulpin300m
I just don't think it will be as much fun as a P3... I won't be upgrading. £1400?? How much you reckon they make them for?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I bet they make them for around $560. Apple does the same thing, it cost if I remember correctly $212 for them to make an iPhone 5s when it first came out and they were selling for $650 for the 16gb version, then $750 for the 32gb and $850 for the 64gb but it only cost them $225 to make the 32gb and $238 to make the 64gb so they were making 303%, 333%, and 357% profit respectively. Since Apple is able to widen their margins so much due to the volume they are producing, I don't think DJI will get that good of profits yet so my guess is they are making 250% profit. DJI is further widening their margins by offering DJI Care which is basically modeled off applecare +.

Bottom line, DJI has implemented new technology and most likely fixed every issue that plagued the P3.
Gimbal Tilt Issues
Stress Cracks
Camera out of focus, not sharp
Battery C rating not high enough
IMU and Compass errors causing crashes

It says on the DJI page "Official launch, limited offer." I do believe the price will go up and then back down again as the seasons change toward the end of the year and most people aren't able to fly.

Comments regarding pilot skills negating technology always makes me laugh. Cause if the pilot was skilled enough we wouldn't need GPS or multiple flight modes with nanny-aides would we? That argument can go on forever.

IMO, the point of birds like the P4 is to remove as much of the "flying" as possible so that the user can concentrate on capturing the activity. Enjoy flying? then keep your P3 or buy one of the other birds that have unassisted flight modes. The P4 is just another option.

Personally, after thinking about it, I'm getting one eventually, I will use tapfly and sport mode. I want to "fly and forget"...

1. IMO -- the P4 is great introduction for new customers.

2. People who are really into tracking things at low altitude. With a little bit of practice, most P3 pilots can become good at this. It's a challenge but it's doable. 90% of our stuff covers landscapes anyways. Again IMO... :)

For me is missing a retractable landing gear to avoid the gear getting in shots and they talk about IMU and compass resiliency yet maintain 4 props.

It's a nice refresh of the basic Phantom design though but think I will skip this version, keep the P3 Pro and await the P5 or I am considering the latest Yuneec as a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj