SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB MicroSD card issues...

@Harleydude,
The post didn't came out quite like I wanted, its getting late.
But have you heard of this?

Rod

So,
A: = No
B: = Yes

These appear to be answer choices with no question. Ya lost me.

What I was after are they in your opinion defective when new?

The card in the Hero7 never did work perfectly. Conversely, the card in the P4P seemed to work just fine for a long time, BUT (and that's a big "BUT"), I use my P4P for MOSTLY mapping, which are photos. So throughput isn't as crucial as when recording video. A recent traffic analysis job - which requires aerial VIDEO - seem to flush out the flaws in the card. So the answer is that they were probably defective all along, but it took a while to flush out the defectiveness. Make sense?

Worth repeating, I have TWO of these cards. And no matter how I mix and match them in my devices, they eventually fail. The word "fail" is ambiguous, so I'll clarify that whatever device the card is installed in, it just stops recording.

About a 2 years ago, it was brought to my attention that SD cards do fail in time / usage same as SSD drives.

Worth noting, one of my two cards was a factory replacement after the first one failed outright.

If anybody has any info on my statement: "SD cards do fail in usage" Please reply!

Rod

The problem with SanDisk is they had me run a benchmark test, and then based on the normal benchmarks assess that the card was okay. It took WAAAAY too much verbiage to clarify that the cards EVENTUALLY fail when under pressure. I told him to throw any one of their 128GB cards into any hero camera and I bet they couldn't fill the card with one long video.

Long story short, SanDisk is replacing the cards, but I don't think it's going to help. I guess we'll see.

D

Reactions: RodPad
Hey doods;

I have TWO of these SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB MicroSD cards that I use in both my P4P AND my Hero7 camera. I seem to have problems with both cards in BOTH devices. Seems the 128GB cards are the common denominator. Either recording stops completely and erratically, or the bitrate gets throttled down to 2/3 what it should be.

Here's a screen capture of a shoot I did today. The bird randomly stopped recording 4 times. And you'll also notice - despite equal length files - the file sizes vary greatly. This is due to a lowered bitrate that happened quite randomly.

View attachment 115660

Notice these two files of greatly different size, but almost equal in length.

View attachment 115661

Anybody else having problems with these cards?

D
[/QUOTE I had the same trouble with those cards I was advised to buy a Lexar and did and it works perfectly I highly recommend it
Keith

I had the same trouble with those cards I was advised to buy a Lexar and did and it works perfectly I highly recommend it
Keith

I just picked up a pair of 128GB Lexar cards from Amazon, but they don't seem to be living up their claims. Despite claims of 270MB/s read and 150MB/s write, benchmark tests are closer to 80MB/s:

1574525801230.png

1574526201033.png

I reached out to Lexar to confirm that these are genuine Lexar cards, but I'm pretty sure they are, as counterfeit MicroSD cards rarely break the 20MB/s benchmark.

In real-world write tests, the Lexar did even worse.

1574526323299.png

Worth noting, these benchmarks are actually SLOWER than the SanDisk 128GB:

1574526399463.png

These tests were conducted on my video editing machine (which is a monster) via the USB 3.0 port via a Transcend USB 3.0 card reader.

What kind of benchmarks are you seeing with your Lexar cards?

UPDATE: It seems that in order to achieve full read/write speeds, one must have a DEVICE that supports the new UHS II standard. Neither my GoPro Hero7 Black camera nor my Phantom 4 Pro support these standards. Maddening. So today I'm going to simply try recording for hours in both devices to test reliability of the new Lexar cards.

D

Last edited:
MavicAirUtilizesExtremePlus64GbSuccessfully.
DependentUponPcHorsePower80Mb/sAchieveableEasily.
IfDroneCantPaceWritingPixelsDynamicallyFlyingDroneMicroprocessorIsUnderPerforming.
WhatDoYouDoToRegainGreaterMicroprocessorHorsepowerInsideCameraMicroprocessor?

Huh? I'm as big a fan of Hungarian Notation as the next guy, but for the love of all that is holy, don't use it as a way of writing paragraphs!

D

I just picked up a pair of 128GB Lexar cards from Amazon, but they don't seem to be living up their claims. Despite claims of 270MB/s read and 150MB/s write, benchmark tests are closer to 80MB/s:

View attachment 115726

View attachment 115727

I reached out to Lexar to confirm that these are genuine Lexar cards, but I'm pretty sure they are, as counterfeit MicroSD cards rarely break the 20MB/s benchmark.

In real-world write tests, the Lexar did even worse.

View attachment 115728

Worth noting, these benchmarks are actually SLOWER than the SanDisk 128GB:

View attachment 115729

These tests were conducted on my video editing machine (which is a monster) via the USB 3.0 port via a Transcend USB 3.0 card reader.

What kind of benchmarks are you seeing with your Lexar cards?

UPDATE: It seems that in order to achieve full read/write speeds, one must have a DEVICE that supports the new UHS II standard. Neither my GoPro Hero7 Black camera nor my Phantom 4 Pro support these standards. Maddening. So today I'm going to simply try recording for hours in both devices to test reliability of the new Lexar cards.

D

KOOL STUPH DOOD!

HarleyDude?
You are the SdDude!
I know who to ask questions about SD Cards. ;):)

Rod

Reactions: Harleydude
I use SanDisk Extreme Pro 65GB almost exclusively in my P3A but I use a 128GB in my Hero7 for about 6 months now with no problems. The thing gets VERY hot mounted to the inside of my windshield driving through the Nevada desert in the summer.

I saw this kind of thing when I bought a Samsung EVO 128GB but the problem there was it only stored 16GB. FAKE! After some research, sure enough, it was a fake.

Don't know if that (counterfeit) is your problem or not.

I use SanDisk Extreme Pro 65GB almost exclusively in my P3A but I use a 128GB in my Hero7 for about 6 months now with no problems. The thing gets VERY hot mounted to the inside of my windshield driving through the Nevada desert in the summer.

Yep. I think I'm dealing with compound issues here, which is making trouble-shooting very difficult. While I DO believe the 128GB SanDisk Extreme Pro cards do have some SLIGHT issues, I think the bulk of the problem was the Hero7 over-heating. I bit the bullet and purchased a pair of 128GB Lexar UHD II cards (to the tune of $140) and conducted tests with the Hero7. Sure enough, the **** thing over-heats and either stops recording or shuts down completely. GoPro seems to be super hush-hush on this issue, as I had the **** camera replaced TWICE with NO MENTION of the thermal issue. I had about a half-dozen semi-irate chat sessions with GoPro personnel, and again, NO MENTION of thermal issues. Jerks!

So I conducted my own tests, and now I know that the Hero7 (in my mind) is just an over-heating piece of crap. So I'll have to come up with my own way of cooling the piece of junk.

I saw this kind of thing when I bought a Samsung EVO 128GB but the problem there was it only stored 16GB. FAKE! After some research, sure enough, it was a fake.

Yep...the MicroSD card market is LITTERED with counterfeit cards on both eBay and Amazon. One has to be very careful.

Don't know if that (counterfeit) is your problem or not.

Nope. I contacted Lexar and after THREE email exchanges and 4 photos they were able to confirm that my cards are legitimate.

Regarding the failure I saw in my P4P, those experiments have yet to be conducted. Next Traffic Analysis shoot I plan on bringing a bevy of MicroSD cards. First sign of failure, and I'll change them out. Methinks that there are issues with the design of the 128GB cards. So I'll try the Lexar 128GB. If that doesn't work, I'll go to the ol' reliable 64GB cards. The problem is that these Traffic gigs net about 75GB of data. It's nice having it on one card, but not necessary.

D

Thanks for posting this. I currently use both of these - one hasn't been in use for a while which I'll be using inside the Mav Mini next year, the other in my P4P. I'll do some tests and report back here if any issues. have you tried contactign Sandisk? Don't they offer something like a lifetime warranty or am I making that up?

RoOSTA

Thanks for posting this. I currently use both of these - one hasn't been in use for a while which I'll be using inside the Mav Mini next year, the other in my P4P. I'll do some tests and report back here if any issues.

Good deal. I'll be interested to see your results.

have you tried contactign Sandisk?

Their support is on par with every other outsourced support. Chinenglish speakers...circular conversations...."did you try formatting" type answers. Their scripted support lemmings have literally zero understanding of the product they support.

Don't they offer something like a lifetime warranty or am I making that up?

RoOSTA

I think the warranty for the Extreme Pro cards is like 10 years, but it might be lifetime. Over the years I've sent back 3 or 4 SanDisk cards, so they DO fail. However, this is a performance issue. No amount of replacement will overcome performance issues and inherent design flaws. That said, regarding Hero7 camera performance, after doing tests with a couple other cards, I'm ready to place blame squarely on the Hero7 camera. Turns out the thing has huge inherent design flaws. Essentially it overheats. Constantly. So unless you have the thing strapped to the outside of a car, on your head while skiing, surfing or riding a bike, it overheats. It IS an "action cam," but one would think that one could place it on a tripod and record that way, too. Apparently not. I'm going to have to come up with some way of cooling this camera while not inducing fan noise into the microphones. Maddening.

Regarding the P4P issues, I still have to test the new Nexus card in that one. I'll do that in the next couple days.

D

interesting info, as I just put a Scandisk extreme 128gig card in my M2P, put I have yet to take it out. all of my other drones have Scandisk extreme 64 gig, my MP has a scandisk Extreme Pro 64gig. haven't had an issue yet from any of my cards. I wonder if the transfer speed could be an issue with the drones? I've only read that 64 gig are the normal max, but many have used 128 gig without any issues.

interesting info, as I just put a Scandisk extreme 128gig card in my M2P, put I have yet to take it out.

Where I see failure is on longer shots over 4 minutes. Have you ever shot long video shots of over 4 minutes?

all of my other drones have Scandisk extreme 64 gig, my MP has a scandisk Extreme Pro 64gig.

I use 64GB SanDisk Extreme Pro in all my drones with exception to the P4P. The higher bitrate creates larger files, so I got a larger 128GB card to compensate. When I shoot traffic analysis, I usually end up with 70GB-75GB at the end of the shoot. So I need the larger capacity card or I have to add "data management" to the litany of other details I'm diligently taking care of.

haven't had an issue yet from any of my cards.

I haven't either...until like 2 or 3 weeks ago. Then I had a simultaneous failure of TWO 128GB SanDisk Extreme Pro cards almost on the same day. Turns out the card in the Hero7 is fine. Turns out the Hero7 is a piece of s*** that had HUGE thermal issues. I THINK I may have come up with a workaround for that, but we'll see. The other card in the P4P....well...I'm not sure what's up with that. That card has been in that drone for well over a year and working well. I didn't see failure until 2 weeks ago. I plan on running some tests tomorrow. I have a 128GB Lexar UHD II standing by.

I wonder if the transfer speed could be an issue with the drones? I've only read that 64 gig are the normal max, but many have used 128 gig without any issues.

I've been using the 128GB for well over a year. Something else is going on.

Worth mentioning, I JUST had the P4P replaced under warranty with a bad GPS module. The new drone has a different serial number, so the possibility exists that maybe I got a bad one. Tests to follow.

D

Reactions: Recoveryone
TheExtremePlus128GbPerformsGlitchFreeSoFarUsedInMavicAir.WrittenMp4Are3.5GbParcelsOfFilesSoFullJourneyComprisedOfSegmented3.5GbFiles.NotAcceptable.
WouldBeNiceDroneCouldWriteCompletedJourneyInSingleMp4FileButTheDroneWritingProtocolFilingStructureDoesNotAllow>3.5GbMp4FileSize.

Huh??? Dude...for the love of all that is holy, fix your spacebar or get a computer or buy another phone or get an iPad or get an Android or use the Internet Cafe or any one of a gazillion solutions to your Hungarian Notation. That said...

The file size limit is a limitation of the File Allocation Table (exFAT). It has nothing to do with the drone or the card.

D

Good deal. I'll be interested to see your results.
I think the warranty for the Extreme Pro cards is like 10 years, but it might be lifetime.
Regarding the P4P issues, I still have to test the new Nexus card in that one. I'll do that in the next couple days.

D

So, no issues to report, however I only tested after reading your quoted post. I din't ususally shoot continuous 4+min videos. I'll retest and come back.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik