San Diego

Hi rmklaw! I live in Hemet by Domenigoni highway. Have not flown my P3P for a while now but would love to fly with someone. Where do you fly yours?

Sometimes I go to the field on Date Street in Temecula. Just North of Winchester Rd. I fly a Vision, a P2 and a F550.

Hello everyone! I'm a big techie/surfer and am getting into this hobby with a little ease (going to start on some cheap quads and work my way up with experience). Where are some good places to fly? I usually frequent between Point Loma to Carlsbad. I want to give Fiesta Island a go as it is pretty open and not always a lot of people around in some spots but it is within the 5 mile airport radius. There's no chance that flying there would interfere but I haven't called yet to get permission. Not sure if anyone else has done this but shoot me a PM with any ideas.

I fly my P3P there with no problem
Sounds good. I'm just not sure how strict these new regulations are and if anyone has tried to call any of these airports. I mean, if you look at any of the maps, most of San Diego and LA for example are blanketed by this so it's sort of absured. I'm all saftey but these zones seem to be a little much. Have you ever given Sunset Cliffs, Shelter Island, and the embarcadero a go?

Yes, I just flew at Sunset Cliffs, Shelter Island. There might be a TFR at Embarcadero Park. I am going there right now to try.

Yes, I just flew at Sunset Cliffs, Shelter Island. There might be a TFR at Embarcadero Park. I am going there right now to try.
Sounds good. Thanks for the info. I'm still getting into this hobby slow and steady. It's been a tough battle to get the buy off from the fiancé so that I can buy a $1k+ quad

Did you have to do anything special to fly in those places? I just see this blanket of orange which I thought meant that you needed to call the related airport.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 438
Airport approval? DID the park ranger hassle u?
Nope, didn't see a park ranger. I didn't see any signs saying no RC but I called the airport management, spoke to a nice guy, and then got transferred to the atc. With the atc, the whole convo lasted 45 seconds. Stated my name, where I wanted to fly, altitude and southern most barrier. He just said approved and don't go south of the 8.

Nice, were u flying a DJI aircraft? If so, did NFZ come up on ur app? So is this the protocol we have to use to fly in any area of SD?

Longranger, where at Sunset did you fly from? I'm visiting SD and went out there yesterday to catch the sunset with my P3P, but due to crowds and no clear take off spot, I decided not to fly. Maybe there is a better park you know of? Thanks

Did u go to Sunset Cliffs Natural Park up on the hill? If not, go to Mariners Point near Marina Village. There is plenty of space with hardly any people. That's between OB & South Mission Beach. Good luck

Well, bad news. Tried to get permission again and was denied to fly at fiesta island. I talked to the AC again and he said he got in trouble for approving it the first time and said he cannot approve anything within 5 miles of a major airport. I'm starting to wonder where the heck can you fly these in San Diego? It's really fun to fly and to get nice videos but I'm regretting not being able to fly anywhere. If someone knows of some cool spots, shoot me a PM.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj