Samsung S8 and OSMO compatibility?

I'll let you know tonight...I haven't hooked mine up since I got my S8 last night

*Update* I was able to successfully use my OSMO Mobile with the S8. There was not a issue.

Reactions: Henrik Olsen
I'm not soo impressed with this setup but has really nothing to do with the OSMO

My S8 video is not smooth when I pan the phone, look at this sample footage

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I tested the video functionality yesterday, and when panning the camera smoothly from one side to another, it's not smooth. For every 1s or so I get this small adjustment/jerk in the motion, it looks awful. Thought this camera was state of the art.

This happens with AF/AE lock enabled, with/without image stabilization, 1080p and higher resolutions. The only mode where it looks kinda ok, is in 60fps.

Any idea what is going on?

I wonder if it's the active image stabilizer..it looks kinda like the same issue the iPhone had

The latest DJI Go Update has broken my app. It doesn't even open

The app has problems starting sometimes with my S8+ because it says it doesn't support the phones resolution size. Even after lowering the resolution to the max it won't work. It will usually work for a while if I uninstall it and reinstall it. Now I'm having trouble taking long exposure shots after the latest update.

My s8+ and my osmo plus don't work well together. I've tried uninstalling dji go and reinstalling which helps for a little bit but then goes back to choppy jittery images across the display.

This may be a bit of a necro-post but just wanted to offer what i had.

I use the Osmo Mobile 2 with my Samsung Note 8 and it works perfectly fine. I don't see the sample video there anymore, but I use mine to film for my youtube channel and do promo videos.

Things you want to try to ensure that your Osmo Mobile is working properly and producing smoother video:

1. if at all possible ensure that your Phone's image stabilization is disabled. if it isn't, the camera will sometimes get jitter and jerky movement because one stabilizer is fighting another.

2. Make sure your phone is balanced and your gimbal is calibrated. If you have any chords plugged into your device make sure you account for these and that they do not put any excess weight or drag on the phone as it will throw the gimbal off balance and cause it to fight and jerk even when being held still.

3. there are multiple settings (at least on the Osmo Mobile 2) for the speed at which your gimbal makes its changes. in your settings you can select between the two speed modes and you will see a man running or walking depending on the mode, i recommend the walking mode, its a bit slower but your gimbal will be move more smoothly when making adjustments.

4. make sure there is no debris or gunk in the joints of your gimbal. anything adding resistance will cause the gimbal to fight and jitter.

5. Your gimbal can account for an amazing amount of movement, but still try to make your own movements as smooth as you can. practice rolling your feet with your knees bent as you walk, and if you're turning the camera try to use your whole arm.

6. I personally try not to use the joystick for panning unless that is all im doing for a shot. a fixed motorized pan will look great but it will stand out if its in the same clip as a pan using your arm.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: RobertJ
My Osmo Mobil worked perfectly when I used it with my Galaxy Note 8 until I updated the software. Now the gimbal still woks perfectly but when I push the photo or video buttons the software crashes and shuts down, restarts and does the same thing when I go to use the cameras. No real help from DJI support.

My Osmo Mobil worked perfectly when I used it with my Galaxy Note 8 until I updated the software. Now the gimbal still woks perfectly but when I push the photo or video buttons the software crashes and shuts down, restarts and does the same thing when I go to use the cameras. No real help from DJI support.
Make sure the software from DJI is also updated. If that doesnt help maybe there is some corruption in the app and a reinstall would help. beyond that, it may just be a "report and wait" situation.

Also remember that once you have your phone set up to be used in your Osmo mobile 2 you dont have to use the app from DJI, you can just use your phone's built in camera software but you lose a small amount of functionality that the DJI software has. If all you are using it for is smoothing out your video once youve started to record then its fine and if im not mistaken the Note 8's camera software is superior to DJI's app in resolution/frames.

I havent used my Osmo in a bit and now i have the note 9. ill set it up and see if i can replicate your problem since im pretty sure we have the same Android version. TBC...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic