Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Safe Run Time for a Phantom 3 Standard

Discussion in 'Standard' started by BuckeyeAce68, Apr 12, 2018.

1. BuckeyeAce68

Just wondering,

How long can you fly a Phantom 3 Standard in one session without risking motor overheating issues? I have 5 batteries that could last close to 100 minutes of run time. I know a motor can be lost at anytime but have no reason to think my drone is having heating issues. However, I have never flown my drone longer that 30 to 40 minutes at a time. Would you feel comfortable running the Phantom on the 5 fully charged batteries----one after the other? Or should it run for 2 or 3 batteries and then allow the engines cool for awhile before flying it? Are there any guidelines for total run time for a Phantom 3? Would running all 5 cause undo wear on the motors?

i would like to clarify above--the drone would be running in normal weather conditions--not flying to large head winds, not going fast like it was running in ESPN racing circuit. just a nice smooth flight--only putting power to the motors when needed.

Thanks, BuckeyeAce68

#1 BuckeyeAce68, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  2. ifixwell

I wouldn't think the motors would be so hot by the time you land, swap batteries and get ready to launch again.

Chrislaf likes this.
  3. stuka75

As stated above, and be careful in hot humid weather.

4. N017RW

You seem to have a preconceived notion that the motors are the weak-link. They only have one moving/wearing part... the bearings.

Typically brushless motors will last hundreds of hours and are not likely to overheat when operated as designed.
    Under normal operations you should never have to replace the motors during your Phantom’s lifetime.

MotorCycle-Man likes this.
  5. RunningWithScissors

Under normal operating conditions, the motors are very low on list of failure points. Crash damage aside, you're more likely to encounter potential concerns with batteries throughout their normal operating lifespan than you are the motors.

6. msinger

Approved Vendor

Yep. I've never had problems running batteries back-to-back. I've never heard of anyone else reporting such an issue either.

7. MotorCycle-Man

HOT MOTORS.jpg IF........your Phantom P3S returns home like this...with RED HOT MOTORS !....it's time to call it a day and let your motors "Cool Down " ! (LOL)

#7 MotorCycle-Man, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  8. BuckeyeAce68

Thanks everyone for you comments!

9. RunningWithScissors

MCM, I borrowed your photo. Priceless. Hope you don't mind.

MotorCycle-Man likes this.
  10. MotorCycle-Man

"Runnin".......Honest I did my best of only 2 or 3 minutes in Photo Shop to create it ..and i did the "red Hot engines"...and smoke really good i thought and it was well worth a few laughs here...any hows i'm you and 2 others liked it too !

11. RunningWithScissors

I appreciated the thought behind it. Right up my alley, as they used to say.