Safe location to calibrate IMU?

There is no greater accuracy using a rotating platform for compass calibration.
I understand the desire to tinker and create. I enjoy it too but do not be led to believe you are increasing or improving anything regarding the resultant calibration.

There is no greater accuracy using a rotating platform for compass calibration.
I understand the desire to tinker and create. I enjoy it too but do not be led to believe you are increasing or improving anything regarding the resultant calibration.
Agree, and yes it was mostly an opportunity to tinker a bit.

Outside, in a nearby field.
upload_2017-1-25_22-12-7.png
Can you explain why you're using a lazy-susan for compass calibration? It seems like a hassle to me, lugging yet another item to the flight field. What am I missing here? Do you put that in your backpack or something? You don't need to calibrate on every flight. It's been about 30 flights since I calibrated last, due to the flight location being 1100 miles away from the last calibration spot.

Can you explain why you're using a lazy-susan for compass calibration? It seems like a hassle to me, lugging yet another item to the flight field. What am I missing here? Do you put that in your backpack or something? You don't need to calibrate on every flight. It's been about 30 flights since I calibrated last, due to the flight location being 1100 miles away from the last calibration spot.
As you said, I don't need to calibrate on every flight so I don't need to lug it to the flight field. I can use it on occasion in the field behind my house and I'm good to go for most anywhere I typically fly. Just a neat little device to build on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

As you said, I don't need to calibrate on every flight so I don't need to lug it to the flight field. I can use it on occasion in the field behind my house and I'm good to go for most anywhere I typically fly. Just a neat little device to build on a rainy Saturday afternoon.
I love this little device.. I wondering if this at all works for VPS calibration?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94