Sacrificing image quality for portability?

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm having a think about some trips I have coming up and was wondering about my droning whilst I'm away.

There's a good chance I'll be taking a cruise this summer - and whilst I am not intending to fly near to or on the boat itself, there's opportunities for some spectacular shooting opportunities.

I've got the p4p and of course in an ideal world I'd take this, but it does mean hauling my backpack around and on planes etc...so I was wondering, would any of you sacrifice the image quality of the P4P for say a Mavic? Purely based on portability factors.
When I shoot with my stills kit I have top of the range stuff, even for my personal work so I want to keep the same ethos with my drone work. If I have a better camera then I should use it but is it practical to go taking my Phantom on and off cruise boats and a couple of planes or should I buy or borrow a Mavic?

Rare photo opportunity being jeopardised by the Mavic pros 2nd rate photo quality. Come on... u can answer that surely.

Hey all,
I'm having a think about some trips I have coming up and was wondering about my droning whilst I'm away.

There's a good chance I'll be taking a cruise this summer - and whilst I am not intending to fly near to or on the boat itself, there's opportunities for some spectacular shooting opportunities.

I've got the p4p and of course in an ideal world I'd take this, but it does mean hauling my backpack around and on planes etc...so I was wondering, would any of you sacrifice the image quality of the P4P for say a Mavic? Purely based on portability factors.
When I shoot with my stills kit I have top of the range stuff, even for my personal work so I want to keep the same ethos with my drone work. If I have a better camera then I should use it but is it practical to go taking my Phantom on and off cruise boats and a couple of planes or should I buy or borrow a Mavic?

I bought a Mavic for exactly that reason. It fits in a daypack or carry on luggage with room to spare. It's exactly the same consideration as carrying your point and shoot vs. your DSLR. The Mavic images are definitely not as good, but they are not bad.

I bought a Mavic for exactly that reason. It fits in a daypack or carry on luggage with room to spare. It's exactly the same consideration as carrying your point and shoot vs. your DSLR. The Mavic images are definitely not as good, but they are not bad.

Well this is the argument - but I don't take my 'work' cameras on trips.. I don't haul my 1DXii's around at all.
Mind you, I do shoot on a Leica M and have 4 or 5 lenses that come with me :)

Well this is the argument - but I don't take my 'work' cameras on trips.. I don't haul my 1DXii's around at all.
Mind you, I do shoot on a Leica M and have 4 or 5 lenses that come with me :)

Well the Mavic will leave you with more room for all those lenses...

I have the Inspire 1 Pro and the Mavic Pro. I find myself using the Mavic more and more these days simply for convenience and the photo quality is still excellent. I took this with the Mavic Pro:
xenia_lightning.jpg

The Mavic gets a little murky in low light if you are moving too fast and especially over subjects with fine detail like trees but if you work within its limitation it's superb. For travel there is nothing like it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik