Running APP kills gimbal tilt. Advice needed.

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a big out-of-state job to do in 2 weeks so I need to solve this crazy problem that just popped up. Been using the Litchi, DJI Ultimate Flight, and DJI Vision apps for many years with no issues. Flew this summer with no issues. The gimbal tilt switch I added to the back of the controller has worked flawlessly -- up until today. But it isn't a mechanical issue. The gimbal tilts just fine with the controller and Phantom on. It continues to tilt fine when I add in the wifi connection. But the second I start any of those three apps now, the gimbal refuses to tilt. I can't even get it to tilt using the screen slide bars. The X1 channel is calibrated in the Assistant software and responds appropriately. I've been flying on v3.08 with no problems all these years.

So does anyone have a guess as to why simply opening one of those apps (and I'm only running one at a time) would kill the ability to tilt the gimbal? It doesn't matter what sequence I use to connect -- wifi then app, or app then wifi. My only option for this upcoming job if I can't solve this will be to set the angle of the gimbal for each flight before connecting to the app.

Last edited:
Wow,
That is weird!

This is a Vision PLUS model?
Or a non-plus model?

Just wondering as why such old firmware, and no dial wheel?

Please let me know?

Ok
Have you tried the app on a different device?

Tilt with 7th channel mod ( upgrade controller selected ) should work with ( lever ) and or app!
This is where it get weird, as it runs off 5.8Ghz Tx transmission, and 2.4Ghz through the wifi ( app ).

P2v uses F2 port on NAZA to pitch ( f1 is roll )
But plus models, use zenmuse port on P2 mainboard. And Cam port for telemetry.

I started thinking wiring, but NEITHER work when app is opened.

Has anything changed since it worked until has not worked?
( i.e.: app or phone upgrade? Etc? )

Also try turning device COMPLETELY OFF, then back on and try again?

Let me know what you can, and if any above ideas. Work out?

J Dot
:cool:

Thanks, J Dot. It's a P2V+_v2 so it has the RC without the wheel, but I had installed the lever in the back which worked great. Didn't understand half of what you wrote (sorry) but my X1 channel for the tilt lever is designated as "NULL". I don't recall ever changing that and the lever worked the last time I flew this summer. NOTHING new in between, unless the 3 apps automatically updated and now require the 3.12 firmware. That's the only thing I can think of because if it was only one app shutting down the tilt I would assume that app was corrupted and would install and reinstall -- but all 3 apps are giving me the same issue, so multiple corrupted apps seem unlikely.

Yeah, I've turned everything off and on in different sequences multiple times. I've narrowed it down to happening ONLY when I get to the instant the app connects to the camera via wifi. The camera then still works fine, the gimbal stays horizontal if I move the Phantom around, but the tilt lever does nothing. Sounds like maybe I should change the X1 to "Channel 7" instead of "NULL"? I'll try that at home tonight. I use an Android tablet, but have an iPad at home with a different app I can try and tilt with. Thanks for the suggestions. Totally weird and, naturally, right before a big job.

Oh, and I'm from the old school of "Don't upgrade if all works fine." But maybe I now have to.

Also, I know the app is generally working (except tilt slider bar), providing video, taking pictures, and is telling me telemetry (battery, satellite count, etc.).

Hello
Disregard the p2v stuff ( the f1/F2 stuff was NAZA to gimbal connection, the plus model is different!

Ok
( 7th channel ) or 7th channel MOD, is the lever on back, you are using the 7th channel potentiometer on back of remote to tilt camera with, X1 in software.

The lever on your Tx is running through your Tx on a 5.8ghz frequency, where the app runs through your crafts 2.4ghz wifi frequency. There must be a conflict there? Canceling each other out?

In Pc assistant
Under BASIC tab, then RC tab ( where you calibrate your remote) ( you will see BASIC CONTROLLER, or UPGRADE CONTROLLER ) upgrade controller should be checked, if basic is set, your lever won't work!
( but it works without app ? ) so that is weird!

Something is a miss here, and has me confused on what it might be?

Let me get my plus hooked to Pc, and fool with it, to see if I can figure out what happened?

Did you try a different device?

Let me know
J Dot

Just finished dinner and will begin experimenting. Thanks. What I find confusing is Basic Controller displays a picture of the rear lever that I am using, but I will try the Upgraded Controller as suggested.

Last edited:
Well, that was easy, J Dot. You just saved my a$$ and I can sleep well tonight. I just needed to check the upgraded controller. I guess that somehow changed the last time I used Assistant. It's working like a charm now with the apps. I owe you one. Much appreciated!

Stupid how the Basic Controller diagram shows the lever.

Actually, I now realize what must have happened. I recently got a new laptop and downloaded the Assistant softwares again. When I hooked into it a few weeks back, the new download must have been defaulted to the Basic controller and, seeing the lever in the diagram, I would have assumed that to be what I needed it to be -- not recalling that I had probably set it to Upgraded controller years ago. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: David Bruce Kerr
Excellent,
I'm glad you got her going! A*

I hear you on the diagram, on the older assistant it was not like that, that came into play when dial wheel remote was introduced ( than the basic/upgrade was added )

And for firmware
I run 3.06 & 3.08 on most of my crafts, my plus has 3:12 or 3:14 I believe? But I prefer 3.08! Lol!

Either way, she is FIXED! So good show!

J Dot

Reactions: David Bruce Kerr

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl