RTH height

MDR

Reaction score
Have done the initial firmware upgrades now. I saw the default RTH height set at 66 feet.
Have a lot of open pasture to fly in, but also areas of woodland and tree lines.
When I activate RTH when needed, I want to make sure that the drone ascends and travels high enough during its initial lock, to miss any trees on the way home.
What is a good RTH height to set ?

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
PhantomHelp.com
Find the tallest object and add 50 feet.

Reaction score
I've set mine at 200ft, that in my eyes seems a good height.

Reaction score
I have my RTH at 300'

200' wont clear all trees with the elevation change I usually fly.

Keep in mind its RTH is above your take off location so be sure to add to that any elevation change. So if I fly 200' up a hill and have 50' trees to clear I really need I need to be at 250' RTH + about 50' cushion as mentioned above (300' total) to get home.

Reactions: bobmyers
Reaction score

MDR

Reaction score
I have my RTH at 300'

200' wont clear all trees with the elevation change I usually fly.

Keep in mind its RTH is above your take off location so be sure to add to that any elevation change. So if I fly 200' up a hill and have 50' trees to clear I really need I need to be at 250' RTH + about 50' cushion as mentioned above (300' total) to get home.
Well,yes, terrain variation...more to consider.
Things thing needs a bright white strobe on it. Need to manufacture one I think.

Reaction score
I have mine set @ 200', of course you best be aware of your battery condition as it takes a while @ these slower speeds to climb, come home/back into range, and land if not taken back over my you. Caused me to land in the middle of a 400 acre soybean field yesterday ;). Better than the River I reckon :)

Reactions: Clampit

MDR

Reaction score
Well,yes, terrain variation...more to consider.
Things thing needs a bright white strobe on it. Need to manufacture one I think.
Appreciate all the recommendations. It is nice to listen to all opinions
On another note, a probably a new thread.
My wife and I are fascinated with redesigning the structural shortcomings in these birds....mainly the landing gear. It seems to us that the gear is unreinforced, and basically toy quality. With a 3d printer, we are going to explore some other possibilities. Any other recurrent needs out there ?

Reaction score
Appreciate all the recommendations. It is nice to listen to all opinions
On another note, a probably a new thread.
My wife and I are fascinated with redesigning the structural shortcomings in these birds....mainly the landing gear. It seems to us that the gear is unreinforced, and basically toy quality. With a 3d printer, we are going to explore some other possibilities. Any other recurrent needs out there ?

Reaction score
When reinforcing the landing gear, keep in mind that the present gear absorbs the shock of hard landings and will break before the body of the Phantom. A stiff, strong gear will transfer all of the shock to the body of your Phantom.

Reactions: SnoozeDoggyDog

MDR

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay.
Point taken.....
One of those "there has got to be a better way" scenarios.
Right now, I bought those plastic furniture sliders they sell at the home improvement stores.
They make a pack of 4 that happen to be a bit wider an almost the same length as the Phantom skids. I took off the little foam feet that are oem, and these sliders stick tight.
Thought is, on a hard landing, the force will be distributed all along the bottom of the skid.
It will be a test for now.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adokora