rth 66ft fix it please

Let's face it, setting your own RTH would be a very, very easy thing for DJI to do. So, why not do it? A low RTH altitude means more crashed or lost Visions. In DJI's bizzarro reverse world this apparently is a good thing. More business. Very short term thinking, but it is from the folks who brought you unstable flight and reduced video quality in the new and improved update 3.0.

People always say that too me. "doesn't it just RTH"... I say "no, see those trees, it returns to them..." :shock:

It would be nice to set your own, I find myself at 200ft often enough that I wouldn't mind it coming back to me up there.

If you're at an altitude above 60ft when RTH is triggered, it will fly back at that altitude.

Of course, things like the power lines in that vid would be an issue if you were lower than them when RTH starts.

The first problem is your chosen location to fly... I would never fly so close to high power lines... 1 because of the obvious danger. 2 the not so obvious of high power transmission, electrical interference, and magnetic anomolies you'd likey encounter.

The 66 ft (20 meter) threshold is completley adequate for those who fly in safer, favorable locations.

OI Photography said:
If you're at an altitude above 60ft when RTH is triggered, it will fly back at that altitude.

Of course, things like the power lines in that vid would be an issue if you were lower than them when RTH starts.

I understood it to be the craft rises 20 meters at any altitude the RTH is enabled. Unless you are below that AFTER takeoff.
An example would be... You take off... Fly down into a canyon.... Upon selecting RTH, Your craft should rise to the original altitude you took off from, only then it adds the additional 20 meters. If you rise above your take off altitude.. Say to 150 feet... RTH will add another 66 feet to that.

Am i wrong?...edit: Why yes I am.

I believe that if you are above 200 it goes to 200. If you are between 66 and 200 it goes to 200. If you are below 66 it goes to 66. So the problem is this:

You run low on battery and auto descend kicks in

It takes you below 66

You are below 66 and haven't found a place to land

Auto RTH engages

It goes to 66 VERY quickly and tries to fly home at 66

If there is a tree between you and the P2V the tree will eat the P2V.

This is even worse when flying on really cold weather, because the battery declines rapidly as it cools and you from good battery to no battery in just a few moments (or so it seems).

If it ascended to an altitude higher than 66, it would avoid trees.

Per version 1.16 of the manual regards Failsafe Function, Sec 11.4 ...

If you are flying at less than 20m (66 ft) above the recorded home point altitude, the craft will ascend to 20m, return directly to a point above the home point, hover for 15 seconds, and then land.

If you are flying at more than 20m above the recorded home point altitude, the craft will maintain its current altitude, return directly to a point above the home point, hover for 15 seconds, and then land.

Note that GPS lock is critical in RTH because ...

If at any time during the RTH sequence less than 6 GPS satellites are locked in, the craft will descend wherever it is at that time.

If the craft is not in GPS mode and RTH is initiated, the craft will descend wherever it is at that time.

There is nothing in the manual to suggest the craft adds 20m (66 ft) to any altitude other than that of the home point. It returns at either 20m above the home point altitude, or at the altitude it's flying if greater than 20m above the home point.

This would imply that if you set the home point on a canyon ridge and then fly down into the canyon and RTH initiates, the craft will ascend to 20 m above the canyon ridge before returning home.

Attachments

• RTH2.jpg
    RTH2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 493
people people please do not post what you have not done !!I
I am well aware of how RTH works I use it a lot on my long long flights
I don't need lessons on how RTH works
if you are below 66 ft and it is activated it goes to 66 ft and flys home
if you are above 66f when it is activated it stays at the elevation your at and flys home
*( with new airport restrictions this may be different over the airport areas ) as that I have not done

That being said like the video showed I take off fly over the lines into a field descend down to film creek and RTH kicks in
now the 70ft power lines( OR TREE OR BUILDING,) are a death trap to my phantom
as its going to climb to 66ft and go into the 70 ft object I went over
PLEASE LET ME SET MY HEIGHT EVEN IF 66 IS MIN LET ME RAISE min to an appropriate height

skyhighdiver said:
if you are above 66f when it is activated it stays at the elevation your at and flys home
*( with new airport restrictions this may be different over the airport areas ) as that I have not done

That being said like the video showed I take off fly over the lines into a field descend down to film creek and RTH kicks in
now the 70ft power lines( OR TREE OR BUILDING,) are a death trap to my phantom
as its going to climb to 66ft and go into the 70 ft object I went over
PLEASE LET ME SET MY HEIGHT EVEN IF 66 IS MIN LET ME RAISE THE MAX

+1 Couldn't agree with you more on either point...
-slinger

I withdrew my "question" on the parameters of RTH. Perhaps I should have asked the question in the appropriate forum.

My apologies.

The Rookie

skyhighdiver said:

Clearly you understand RTH. But there were other posts in the thread by folks who did not. Are you suggesting we should ignore them, and not try to help them understand?

Visioneer said:
skyhighdiver said:

Clearly you understand RTH. But there were other posts in the thread by folks who did not. Are you suggesting we should ignore them, and not try to help them understand?

+1

Visioneer said:

I am not saying that at all ! This is a place to learn :D
I am saying if you don't know don't chime in with speculation and read all the post before yours also before
posting something that has been addresses already many times :?

In retrospect this Thread is not a discussion on RTH or its settings. It is a plea or rant to DJI to allow this safety measure of the RTH to be implemented as an option to end users. Perhaps DJI reads all requests in this format...I' don't know...but I wont ask it here.

I will ask the original poster this question, If you bring your craft up to about 100 feet at Home Point. Use the S2 Switch cycle 6 times between off/home lock. Setting a new Home Point 100 feet up....Would that not remedy your request to DJI ?

RCRookie said:
In retrospect this Thread is not a discussion on RTH or its settings. It is a plea or rant to DJI to allow this safety measure of the RTH to be implemented as an option to end users. Perhaps DJI reads all requests in this format...I' don't know...but I wont ask it here.

I will ask the original poster this question, If you bring your craft up to about 100 feet at Home Point. Use the S2 Switch cycle 6 times between off/home lock. Setting a new Home Point 100 feet up....Would that not remedy your request to DJI ?

That solution might work but what if it increases its return home height 66 feet above what you set the new home point at then returned home and started descending but when it reached 100 ft high it thought it had landed and switched the motors off? Any body feeling brave enough to try it?

Scenario: I launch from 0 feet, rise to 90feet and then fly forward where I clear trees that are 80 feet tall. After clearing the trees I've then reduce altitude to 30 feet where I then lose transmission and video signal...

What happens next

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl