RTC Vs RTH

I find these forums of great benefit from a learning perspective. In summary, correct me if I am wrong, the Home Point is a static point, be it the RC or the AC. The craft will return to the point where the AC was or the RC was when the HPoint was set.
The follow me, my car, my bike is not a HPoint issue, but an a dynamic attachment to a moving object!
Yes

"Follow Me" and RTC require your device to be GPS enabled. You will be warned if not enough satellites to function. No need to reset location as you move as it is now following your remote. It's a MUST when flying from a boat.

No need to reset location as you move as it is now following your remote.
This is not true for RTC. It does not follow your remote dynamically. It will only return to where the remote was when you manually set the RTC option. If you want it to return to where you are right now then you must set that RTC point right before you initiate the RTC.

This is not true for RTC. It does not follow your remote dynamically. It will only return to where the remote was when you manually set the RTC option. If you want it to return to where you are right now then you must set that RTC point right before you initiate the RTC.
Sorry but Nope. Follows just fine even without camera (unlike "Active Track"). Set the control to RTC at beginning of the flight and it will auto return to the remote if activated manually or from disconnect. No need to press anything at the time. If I lose contact in my boat, no buttons work but it comes right back to my remote (to point of lost contact). Follows remote dynamically in real time by GPS.

Last edited:
You (remote) have to be some distance away from the drone to activate the Follow and RTC settings. About 100 ft, it will let you know when linked.

Sorry but Nope. Follows just fine even without camera (unlike "Active Track"). Set the control to RTC at beginning of the flight and it will auto return to the remote if activated manually or from disconnect. No need to press anything at the time. If I lose contact in my boat, no buttons work but it comes right back to my remote (to point of lost contact). Follows remote dynamically in real time by GPS.
OK so we may be talking about two different things here.

You introduced "Follow Me" which is a flight mode and not just flying free-form. I have not tested your specific scenario, but when just flying manually the RTC point is not dynamic. This is the case unless it has been changed with the Fly app on the MM and MA2, which I do not own. On all of my other drones that use DJI Go 4, the RTC in free flight is not dynamic.

Follow and RTC use the same info. Both are updating position between RC and AC constantly (dynamically). I find it useful to have them on at the same time. As said, a Must for boat flights.
Enjoy, hope OP gets it figured. Little on YouTube might need to do one myself.

Very interesting talk. I always and many of us i believe that RTC is for returning to the controller where ever it is. That means that once I set RTC as the HP the craft will return to me if I moved during the flight. That would be logical because this is why the function should be for. If we must reset the position just before RTH activates such function won't be needed as you are actually reset the other HP not the point of RC - although they are the same. And you need to stop moving after you reset the HP of course.

Reactions: Capt KO
Very interesting talk. I always and many of us i believe that RTC is for returning to the controller where ever it is. That means that once I set RTC as the HP the craft will return to me if I moved during the flight.
Thank you. Operators that haven't used it don't understand. If your device is capable (gps enabled) it's a very useful tool. For me, 'Follow' is more useful than 'Active track'. And RTC is a MUST or I'm going swimming. ?

Thank you. Operators that haven't used it don't understand. If your device is capable (gps enabled) it's a very useful tool. For me, 'Follow' is more useful than 'Active track'. And RTC is a MUST or I'm going swimming. ?

Since I almost never use RTH at all, I won't won't say with certainty how the RTC works, but now that we have differing views, I will definitely head out and try it myself. I will report back with my findings.

Reactions: Capt KO
Since I almost never use RTH at all, I won't won't say with certainty how the RTC works, but now that we have differing views, I will definitely head out and try it myself. I will report back with my findings.

RTH is a great way to not stress your batteries. I set my trigger level 10% higher than the default and when it hits that level the aircraft initiates an RTH. The extra 10% gives it plenty of range without depleting the battery down to levels that are concerning.

RTH is a great way to not stress your batteries. I set my trigger level 10% higher than the default and when it hits that level the aircraft initiates an RTH. The extra 10% gives it plenty of range without depleting the battery down to levels that are concerning.
True that battery management is important. However, keeping an eye on everything manually and not depending on automatic systems I believe makes you a better pilot. Watch the battery level and always back on the ground before hitting 30 %

If you're using an iPad without cellular support, you cannot reset your home-point after launch because the iPad doesn't have GPS support. That may be what you're missing. Answer post #2 and we may be able to help.
John- for my P4p v2 I purchased an 2018 iPad 9.7” with cellular capability, but don’t pay for a separate cell account for it. I always use my iPhone’s Hotspot to link the Go software & maps to internet.
But I’ve never once been able to reset my Homepoint to the controller’s position.

Someone once told me that iPad’s gps is only accurate to approx 9’, and DJI doesn’t consider that accurate enough. Do you know if that’s true or if any iPad is able to do this?
And if not, does anyone actually have a device that is able to do the RTC? What is it if so?

Your concern is actually a common misunderstanding. I too thought that in the very beginning. Its a good thing you turned to this forum to get that clarification. It could have one day been disastrous.

Did anybody here deploy and return the drone on a moving boat. I think it could be tricky. I would like to hear it from the first hand. If you see the drone than you can do that manually but if not did it return automatically?

Did anybody here deploy and return the drone on a moving boat. I think it could be tricky. I would like to hear it from the first hand. If you see the drone than you can do that manually but if not did it return automatically?

I've only manually brought it back. As stated above unless you're updating the location throughout the flight neither the rth or rtc will work while on a moving boat as you're location is changing.

Usually boat flyers aren't flying far from their boat anyway and it's pretty easy to see your boat against the water background.
Plus you never want to let RTH land on the boat anyway.

I originally posted this thread after doing many tests selecting RTC as my home point at launch. None of these test returned my drone to the controller. I did not try "follow me". If I remember Meta 4, you said that RTC is not dynamic, that it had to be activated again just before pressing RTH. Does "Follow me" make RTC dynamic? Capt KO appears to indicate that.

I look forward to more people's experiences with RTC. Wonderful feedback,

Jim

I originally posted this thread after doing many tests selecting RTC as my home point at launch. None of these test returned my drone to the controller. I did not try "follow me". If I remember Meta 4, you said that RTC is not dynamic, that it had to be activated again just before pressing RTH. Does "Follow me" make RTC dynamic? Capt KO appears to indicate that.

I look forward to more people's experiences with RTC. Wonderful feedback,

Jim
Hi Jim,

I have the same view of RTC being static from the time you select RTC, but @Capt KO is positive it works for him. I won't say for sure until I get out there and test it myself.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic