RotorPixel Gimbal Technical Discussion

Re: After install of Rotorpixel "Connection to Phantom Faile

While powerd OFF recheck the servo power cable and listen for defined click when fully plugged in. Also, check your camera power switch should be All the way right to "Wifi On"...also, You didnt by chance hit the" bind" button did you?

Additionally, there have been instances where people plugged in the power cables while the phantom is powered on.. This is covered in the installation manual. A definate NO NO, and has resulted in dead cameras.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Re: Has anyone tried a stiffer damper with rotorpixel?

Geert, where did you get those? Some added info would be helpful. 100g 200g 300g?

The H3-2D dampers are a no go. They are too small and don't allow enough room between the gimbal frame and phantom body. Back to the drawing board...

Let us know how those perform Geert.

Finally received my RPG today, BUT

NO cable (pitch) to connect RPG control board to P2V!! WTF?
Feeling a bit frustrated :evil:

EDIT: I have the DJI cable pack. Can I use one of the cables there and if yes, where do I connect it on RPG?

PropsPete said:
Finally received my RPG today, BUT

NO cable (pitch) to connect RPG control board to P2V!! WTF?
Feeling a bit frustrated :evil:

EDIT: I have the DJI cable pack. Can I use one of the cables there and if yes, where do I connect it on RPG?

I am not sure what you mean when you say there is no pitch cable. You use the servo cable that comes out of the P2V to the old FC200 camera gimbal. The original camera plug from the P2V goes into the RPG board and the RPG board camera cable plugs into the FC200 camera. Perhaps if you watch this video it will make it clearer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obe_Qqx ... e=youtu.be

EricT said:
You use the servo cable that comes out of the P2V to the old FC200 camera gimbal.

Where do I plug this P2V servo cable? Directly to RP gimbal control board? Because there's no cable coming from the RP gimbal where I could connect P2V servo cable.

I'm talking about installation instruction number 14.

Should there be cable?

Attachments

• 2014-05-30 19.51.35_resized.jpg
    2014-05-30 19.51.35_resized.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 432
Re: Has anyone tried a stiffer damper with rotorpixel?

Nice
Geert said:
Removed the stiffer dampers and installed the originals again.

Some footage from Thailand.
direct link : http://youtu.be/89M62jbwgeM

Geert.

Nice video!
Did you have any issues bringing it into Thailand?

I see the Jello especially in fast forward flight - like in the first 20seconds of the video.
Have you tried using an ND filter?
Did you balance the propellers and motors?

PropsPete said:
EricT said:
You use the servo cable that comes out of the P2V to the old FC200 camera gimbal.

Where do I plug this P2V servo cable? Directly to RP gimbal control board? Because there's no cable coming from the RP gimbal where I could connect P2V servo cable.

I'm talking about installation instruction number 14.

Should there be cable?

Now I understand. There is a black cable that the P2V servo gimbal cable attaches to on the RPG. In the attached pictures, you will see the black cable in the RPG connector block that attaches to the P2V servo cable (hidden under the RPG plate). Looks like that black cable wasn't shipped with your RPG.

Attachments

• IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 534
PropsPete, if you still cant contact Keri, or cant wait to get the cable shipped from Canada, you can use a standard male to male servo cable (see link below). You can also check your local hobby shop if they have it.

You'll have to cut off the middle wire though (i.e. Youll only need the outer two wires). Also, you'll notice if you use this, the fit will be quite snug on the connector at the bottom of the phantom so you'll need to push it a bit more than you would for the stock cable.

I know this works because I had to do the same when Rotorpixel forgot to ship the cable in my package (I was from the first batch so it was understandable). Keri gave me the same suggestion while waiting for the cable to arrive through standard post.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _set_.html

Flighttime said:
PropsPete, if you still cant contact Keri, or cant wait to get the cable shipped from Canada, you can use a standard male to male servo cable (see link below). You can also check your local hobby shop if they have it.

You'll have to cut off the middle wire though (i.e. Youll only need the outer two wires). Also, you'll notice if you use this, the fit will be quite snug on the connector at the bottom of the phantom so you'll need to push it a bit more than you would for the stock cable.

I know this works because I had to do the same when Rotorpixel forgot to ship the cable in my package (I was from the first batch so it was understandable). Keri gave me the same suggestion while waiting for the cable to arrive through standard post.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _set_.html

This is excellent news! I think I have couple of those in my DJI cable pack. Now, one more question, which connector on RPG control board should I connect and what is the pin assignment i.e. which way should those two wires be?

See photos below

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 528
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 522
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 516
Thank you very much guys!

With your guidance I was able to build my own pitch servo cable and had my first successful flight with this great gimbal. What a great feeling to see stabilized video! This is going to be so fun :D

Quick update on my RP situation and kudos to Keri

I was able to determine that for as of yet unknown reasons, my RP Gimbal was (apparently) drawing too much current from my system, which was the cause of my uncontrolled descents. Without getting into too many details, I'll just say that my P2V was able to fly at 15% charge with the RP/camera attached and the gimbal power cable unplugged. Plugging in the power cable prevented the motors from spooling up fast enough to take off once I was below 30% battery, and appears to be the source of my unexpected loss of thrust while flying.

I just wanted to pass along what I hope will be a positive experience with Rotorpixel support.
Upon completing my tests, I sent an email to Keri via the RP contact form. Within 10 minutes, I received a reply from Keri. I am a professional photographer and I happen to be leaving for a two-week photo safari on Saturday, and I mentioned this to him. He not only is sending me a replacement gimbal, but he is shipping via expedited 2-day post to ensure (customs notwithstanding) that I receive it in time for my trip.

My hope, of course, is that I simply had a defective unit. Considering that most people here are pleased with their setup, I'm optimistic.

So thank you to Keri for being so responsive to your customer.

-Jason

Re: Quick update on my RP situation and kudos to Keri

I am trying to slow down my yaw turns now that I have the Rotorpixel so that the scenery doesn't fly/blur past but I am not smooth enough on the yaw joystick to overcome too fast or too slow a rotation. Could I adjust the yaw gain in the PC Assistant software to reduce the yaw speed? My son and I did it for his F550 but that was by setting up one of his Hi-Tech Aurora 9 transmitter switches to slow down his yaw speed by about 60%.....it works great! But he said I can't do the same for my P2V because in the software doesn't allow me to adjust the yaw gain in advanced mode as opposed to basic mode. Is that correct?

Failing that approach, what about replacing the yaw self-centering spring in the Phantom transmitter with a tighter/heavier spring to take more effort to move the yaw input thereby slowing down the yaw commands to the P2V?

BTW, I also submitted this idea to the throttle stick forum but not much activity on that forum.

Geoelectro said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjV-1fRBNQk[/youtube]

Geo

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This should help my yaw speed since my left stick is very sensitive (i.e. easy to move to either the left or right) and my motor skills aren't what they used to be in my younger years.

Re: Quick update on my RP situation and kudos to Keri

drjay32 said:
I was able to determine that for as of yet unknown reasons, my RP Gimbal was (apparently) drawing too much current from my system, which was the cause of my uncontrolled descents. Without getting into too many details, I'll just say that my P2V was able to fly at 15% charge with the RP/camera attached and the gimbal power cable unplugged. Plugging in the power cable prevented the motors from spooling up fast enough to take off once I was below 30% battery, and appears to be the source of my unexpected loss of thrust while flying.

I just wanted to pass along what I hope will be a positive experience with Rotorpixel support.
Upon completing my tests, I sent an email to Keri via the RP contact form. Within 10 minutes, I received a reply from Keri. I am a professional photographer and I happen to be leaving for a two-week photo safari on Saturday, and I mentioned this to him. He not only is sending me a replacement gimbal, but he is shipping via expedited 2-day post to ensure (customs notwithstanding) that I receive it in time for my trip.

My hope, of course, is that I simply had a defective unit. Considering that most people here are pleased with their setup, I'm optimistic.

So thank you to Keri for being so responsive to your customer.

-Jason

Hoping for a similar good experience and resolution. I have had an issue since day one as well with the battery going into the red and auto landing waaay too early. The first time I flew it hit at 40%! I have to fly SUPER gingerly not to throw it into low battery warning. Today I was ascending at a normal rate and it threw a warning at 64%!! Im not happy with the set up right now. I feel like I can't trust it. I wrote Keri on FB private message today. I hope to hear from him soon.

JJ

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1