RotorPixel Gimbal Technical Discussion

Pull_Up said:
JustJames said:
gfredrone said:
I don't know what's expensive to you but I have the FPVLR half sphere and have done 4000' ft with RP on board. Depending on the location 2500'-3500' can be expected reliably.

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=54

Wow Thats some distance! I would be happy with much less. I'm probably looking for something like what pull up has range wise. The cost still isn't bad though. Thank you very much for the help gentleman. Ill have to crack open the wifi extender and see what I need to do there.

and now to search for some "how to's" on youtube.....

James :D

There are a few good ones. In not at all technical but took the plunge and it was pretty straightforward and I didn't kill anything. I did a video or two covering my installation and reviewing the antennas I used... http://www.youtube.com/user/Nomisnotwen

Is a bit tricky to get the range extender case off, but after that it's straightforward - I didn't need to do any soldering, just a bit of light drilling! Once you've done the mod you can fit any antennas you like and test things out.

Copy that Pull_up. I watched your video and a couple others. I like the small circular that was posted. Im going to go that route. Small, clean. I'll set it up to be removable for packing in the case. Only issue seems to be finding a supplier on my side of the pond. There don't seem to be many of that type of antenna out there.

Thx for the help.

James

Update on my Vision with RP Gimbal..
The video is great! BUT...I lost a ton of flight time.15 min max. Quite a drop from before. Not real happy about that. Maybe acceptable but not super pleased with it. Even worse it caught me off guard and auto landed at 30% battery. Luckily I had it right in front of me and no harm came or issues but it surprised me. It hadn't done that before and I assume it was because it was windy and fighting to stay in position. STILL...not very happy with my set up at the moment. Seriously considering selling it even at a loss. I may sell with the RP gimbal or I may sell separate. I really like the Vision but I think I would prefer the Vision plus.

James.... :(

I'm getting 17 mins running from 100% to 19% in standard conditions (not windy, not hooning it around - just a normal video sortie). That's better than I was expecting when I ordered it. Anything like windy conditions, speed runs, altitude records, etc, will drop the time just as it does with a stock Vision, P2 or Vision+.

The + will give you more flight time as they've kept the weight more or less the same as the stock Vision by hanging a very lightweight lens and sensor on a lightweight gimbal, moving the wifi and other electronics up to the aircraft and the gimbal base. With the RP you're trading flight time for robustness, future portability and flexibility - if you ever intend to add other non-RTF aircraft to your "fleet" then the Rotorpixel will work with them and a GoPro/RX100/other camera. If you ever want to hang a GoPro on your Vision for some non-FPV work then with a change on the gimbal stored settings you can. Either of those choices isn't there with the Vision+.

Time will tell how crash-resistant that three-axis gimbal is.

The frustrating thing is if you wait a bit longer to make your mind up DJI will probably have thrown a Phantom 3 into the mix just to wind us all up anyway - Christmas is coming! ;)

Maybe some battery improvements will change the game for this gimbal.

It seems thats the only real issue facing the RP. Wouldnt it be great if they could double battery performance.

Just wishing out loud.

Yeah I ended up deciding to buy the plus just for the extended flight time mostly. As mentioned I'm sure DJI will introduce something new by the end of the year so I still think that the rotor pixel gimbal is a really good investment.

Time will tell how crash-resistant that three-axis gimbal is.

I have heard one report of the gimbal on a + being destroyed when crashed. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Received my Rotorpixel last Friday..#502 Installed it.. everything went smooth; happy customer; anxiety on waiting for it, installing it, using it is gone..

Only issue were the following:
Per instructions to set the pitch setting via Assistant: I had to upgrade my firmware to 2.0 from 1.08 (yes, I tend to belive in "if it ain't broken, don't fix it"), I ran into the famous "MC: Invalid Battery Error".

I freaked thinking it was something I did, nicked the wires, etc.. thought it might be the center pin the goes thru that middle hole, (make sure you have it go thru, since it's so close to the battery when inserted, if not, it will stop the battery from being inserted).
Long story short, it wasn't anything I did.. I just continued with the firmware update, including the Controller Board firmware update) and went to firmware version 3.0.. and after it updated the CB board to .27, the MC Battery error message went away..

Another recommendation is: From all the installation videos on youtube,etc, I didn't notice the small white block piece that you have to remove to get the camera to snap in the the Rotorpixel holder... I must have missed the part where that white piece slotted just slides off, I was trying to get the white gear thingy out of one of the holes..which is part of that white slotted piece..

Did a test run with 10 half turns on the damper adjust, it it was close to perfect.. Video was obviously better in ATTI Mode versus GPS Mode..

That's another thing, I can't believe I was not using NAZA mode the whole time! Home Lock with the Gimble for some sideways filming is just awesome!

Anyone experience the dropping effect when the battery get to around 19, 17 percent? I think this was introduced with Firmware 3.0.. CB Firmware .27..

Anyway I can downgrade to Firmware 2.0? I tried and it did downgrade the Main Firmware to 2.0 but I couldn't get it to downgrade the CB Firmware from .27 to .25..

Hope to post some of my video footage soon..

ps. I'm waiting form my Vision+ (Amazon backordered).. and will have some comparison videos.
Also, it's quite painful to watch all my old video footage without the gimble, no turning back now..

Max weight capacity of RotorPixel Gimbal?

I think I read somewhere that when the universal mount is available for the RP gimbal, it will be useable for up to some camera weight. Can anyone confirm?

I want to use a Sony RX100 with it, even if I have to give up FVP. Should work, right? I think the original RX100 is about 220 grams.

RX100 will work. Rotorpixel put oversize motors on the gimbal to give it the power to handle it. Keri had said he has GoPro and universal mounts in advanced prototyping - just needs to get the pre-order backlog down before he can release an industrial 3d printer to get on with it apparently. I can't remember the exact max weight but I know they ran an RX100 on their original non-Vision gimbal and that uses the same motors...

Thanks, good to know. I have a correction on the Sony weight. It's 240 grams with card and battery (my preferred configuration).

Any tips to prevent the wires from snagging? I think I've moved them all out of the way, but one of them still gets caught once in a while - usually when tilting the camera straight down, it seems to catch on something. Is there some method of fastening the wires somewhere to ensure this doesn't happen? Thanks.

jimre said:
Any tips to prevent the wires from snagging? I think I've moved them all out of the way, but one of them still gets caught once in a while - usually when tilting the camera straight down, it seems to catch on something. Is there some method of fastening the wires somewhere to ensure this doesn't happen? Thanks.
If you mean the camera end, I put a tiny piece of tape towards the rear of the camera. :)

Loosening suspension nuts: RotorPixel Gimbal Technical

My first flights with the RP gimbal had the plastic nuts a bit too loose. Once I tightened them to just about two and half turns from fully tight, I started getting very good video, sans jello. But they don't seem to stay at that tightness very reliably, and yesterday after some hard flying, I saw that one had completely loosened (fortunately nothing lost). So I was thinking about ways to adjust the thread friction so that it remains adjustable but resistant to moving from vibration.

What about using some teflon tape, the kind plumbers use on pipe threads? It is very thin, cheap, and acts like a lubricant, sort of, while tightening up the thread space, and has no destructive chemical properties.

Well I'm getting used to the gimbal and how it affects the Vision.

Pros are obvious:
Video is amazingly smooth
Looks cool (More sci fi and mechanical)

Cons for me:
Getting used to the effects of added weight
Flys and maneuvers like an SUV now
Really Really have to watch the battery (I've seen as little as 12 min)
Have to add a slight extension to the legs (I uses two foam tubes added to the skids that I can take on and off to put back in the back pack..snug fit)
Have to make sure wires are sorted out before flying. The main power cord (white) got caught on thumb screw one (important) flight and kept me from being able to pan down.
Is going to make me spend MORE money. Need wifi extender now..another battery....etc etc

I used it at work for some really cool footage. I climbed our 100' aerial ladder while we were training some rookies and got a unique pictures (of me). I also filmed the rookie graduation and firefighter demo ..multiple simulations with cars on fire, a building exercise, ladder work, etc and ending with repelling off a 5 story building. The view from the top of the building looking down on them repelling was great. All in all great footage. I also had a static video camera and a guy taking pictures so I could mix it all into a nice graduation video for the guys and their families.

~James~

Nice usage cases for the gimbal there James, and I think your points are fair, although I've never got lower than 16 mins and normally 17. Are you doing lots of hover? That will use more power than more general flying. The wires can be tricky but I've done a mix of turning the camera plug and pulling some excess back through the cable tie and got a sweet spot.

In terms of increasing WiFi range I'm getting great results using a directional helical antenna modded to the range extender and no need to mess with the aircraft. My WiFi range has gone from 1000ft to almost 2500ft (probably more, but I've run out of 5.8 range and don't need more than that anyway). I'm using a Horizon FPV antenna and at that range the signal is clear even with the Rotorpixel and in any orientation. Other manufacturers are available but I haven't tried them out.

If you use an external higher power repeater you don't need to mod anything -- no need to add connectors to your stock repeater, and you have the advantage of not using directional antennas - no need to point accurately. I have mine on a lightweight folding tripod, and I can set it down pointed in the general direction of flight and the wander up where I like with the rc transmitter.

I am timing flights to see if I can extract some trends but currently my concern is autolanding when under 45% battery due to current drain, this clearly means bringing her in close way too early in a flight for my taste.

Power use is horrendous, and this is not helped by the later stages of your flight being carried out under autolanding as the battery is alarming (even though percentage is good). It also appears that the drop off is not linear.

I am also experience very poor wifi and telemetry since fitting. I am looking at Tx end mods, but I want to resolve the falling out of the sky issue before investing another addon that would appear to be obsolete in the face of P2V+

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20