RotorPixel Gimbal Technical Discussion

Yes FCC mode selected in the controller assistant and the pot on the back of the controller turned all the way to the right. I'm not sure about the actual rating or it's accuracy if there's one out there.

Similarly I have reached 2400ft with solid WiFi at highest preview settings with a Rotorpixel attached and in all orientations, but in my case I chose an antenna supplier more local to me in Horizon FPV Antennas and fitted their 9db Blackhawk 2.4 helical only to my range extender, no mods to the aircraft at all. I could well have gone further but ran out of control signal! I have a 12db 5.8 Blackhawk on the way to see how far i can actually take the wifi signal... http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... hcp-white/

They have other various antennas for adding to the aircraft as well if you want to get into trying for some extreme ranges, as well as other gain options, etc.

gfredrone said:
I don't know what's expensive to you but I have the FPVLR half sphere and have done 4000' ft with RP on board. Depending on the location 2500'-3500' can be expected reliably.

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=54

Wow Thats some distance! I would be happy with much less. I'm probably looking for something like what pull up has range wise. The cost still isn't bad though. Thank you very much for the help gentleman. Ill have to crack open the wifi extender and see what I need to do there.

and now to search for some "how to's" on youtube.....

James :D

With keen anticipation of getting my email from RP (#588) I find myself wondering about a few technical questions. So I thought I'd ask you learned gentleman for your input. The way I understand some of the improvements on the Phantom 2 Vision +, the Wi-Fi Range Extender has been improved to give you greater distance. Since there is no hardwire connection between the Extender and the Controller,do you think it's possible to replace our existing Phantom 2 Vision Extender with without any exotic modifications? I couldn't get a straight answer from DJI even though it appears possible. If the new Extender pairs with the Phantom Airframe along with the Controller, then we can use any new improvements in their Extender technology.

Firestat said:
Not to change the subject, but did we find out where the new Android app to fix the freezing is?

Thanks

New app update 1.0.40 seems to have cured it for me, although I still have not updated my aircraft yet so will be interesting to see if it still works on an updated aircraft, but had 2 20min flights yesterday and all was OK.

:)

JustJames said:
gfredrone said:
I don't know what's expensive to you but I have the FPVLR half sphere and have done 4000' ft with RP on board. Depending on the location 2500'-3500' can be expected reliably.

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=54

Wow Thats some distance! I would be happy with much less. I'm probably looking for something like what pull up has range wise. The cost still isn't bad though. Thank you very much for the help gentleman. Ill have to crack open the wifi extender and see what I need to do there.

and now to search for some "how to's" on youtube.....

James :D

There are a few good ones. In not at all technical but took the plunge and it was pretty straightforward and I didn't kill anything. I did a video or two covering my installation and reviewing the antennas I used... http://www.youtube.com/user/Nomisnotwen

Is a bit tricky to get the range extender case off, but after that it's straightforward - I didn't need to do any soldering, just a bit of light drilling! Once you've done the mod you can fit any antennas you like and test things out.

I have had an instance when a first flight of the day with battery @ 45% took off, changed to 4% and immediately auto-landed. Repeated twice before switching to the fully charged one. Sadly I didn't have Rec. running on my phone to capture this.

Point being was I intended to fly over water, but I always take off, hover and check it's responding ok before setting off, but potentially I might have had my Phantom sleep with the fishes. :?

It does seem that low battery + RP comes with issues, and I think my first change is 30% battery alarm = time to land (normally when I bring her closer to me if distant) with the prospect of altering the alarm to 40% if this turns out to be the case.

Just for reference, my flight log currently shows:

Code:
Summary	        Phantom	Battery 1	Battery 2
Total Flights	  40	     20	       20
Total Flight Time 08:19	  03:59	    04:20
so neither battery should be having issues.

Of course the continual rain makes this hard to test, but I though I would give fair warning.

Thanks for the information on the Android App update. Previously, it updated automatically, so I don't know why it didn't do it this time. I, also, have not updated the firmware to 3 and hope the app works ok.

Chuck

Firestat said:
Thanks for the information on the Android App update. Previously, it updated automatically, so I don't know why it didn't do it this time. I, also, have not updated the firmware to 3 and hope the app works ok.

Chuck

I turned off the auto update feature on my samsung, and like you I have not upgraded to firmware 3 either and the app 1.0.40 works OK !

;)

Seahorse said:
I have had an instance when a first flight of the day with battery @ 45% took off, changed to 4% and immediately auto-landed. Repeated twice before switching to the fully charged one. Sadly I didn't have Rec. running on my phone to capture this.

Point being was I intended to fly over water, but I always take off, hover and check it's responding ok before setting off, but potentially I might have had my Phantom sleep with the fishes. :?

It does seem that low battery + RP comes with issues, and I think my first change is 30% battery alarm = time to land (normally when I bring her closer to me if distant) with the prospect of altering the alarm to 40% if this turns out to be the case.

Just for reference, my flight log currently shows:

Code:
Summary	        Phantom	Battery 1	Battery 2
Total Flights	  40	     20	       20
Total Flight Time 08:19	  03:59	    04:20
so neither battery should be having issues.

Of course the continual rain makes this hard to test, but I though I would give fair warning.

Not just with the gimbal either. In the cold weather, before I had the gimbal, I was finding that giving strong stick inputs from around the 48% mark down would cause a low power warning - the voltage drop was enough for the controller to read it as empty and begin autoland. Backing off the sticks a little would stop it and control would be regained.

Check the individual cell voltages on that battery. If one is lower than the others then that might imply a weak cell which, coupled with the extra load on the motors from the gimbal, could trigger autoland. Have you done the deep discharge at 20 flights, as recommended by DJI? If so, and you do have a dodgy cell then talk to your dealer. After only 20 flights you're due an exchange if you ask me...

Voltages are fine, I'll discharge the pair this weekend, seeing as it looks like another wet weekend... :evil:

Modified my log to include a warning @ multiples of 20, blank the rest of the time... :ugeek:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 478

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl