Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Nice flying matt I wouldn't even do it if the trees were 50' apart lol !!

:lol:

MattOlieman said:
Took my P2V/RotorPixel to the park on a slight breeze day. Nothing special or anything fancy.
I got the screws adjusted just right, no jello or any vibrations, perfect. Except for the pilot ;)

I love my RotorPixel :)

Nice Video, in spite of getting tubed:) Keep up the good work.

I'm having some trouble with the 7th channel hack.

I have the Rotorpixel gimbal installed.
I've done the latest firmware update.
I've updated the Software Assistant to 2.0

I've run the software to do the 7th channel hack. After I do the hack the lever on the back of the Tx does move the camera but just a little. I'm not getting much travel (it mainly points horizontally and but only moves down just a little).

Has anyone had any success getting the 7th channel to work with the Rotorpixel gimbal and getting the full travel expected with the camera?

Note, I'm using Vision mode - haven't switched to NAZA yet. Is that a requirement for the hack to fully work?

Thanks.

MattOlieman said:
Took my P2V/RotorPixel to the park on a slight breeze day. Nothing special or anything fancy.
I got the screws adjusted just right, no jello or any vibrations, perfect. Except for the pilot ;)

I love my RotorPixel :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbQkNOEkRM[/youtube]

I uploaded it 1080p but I get this awful quality :(

Love the Video, can you speed the footage up, now that would be impressive ;)

Glad the RP worked out for you

Ian

I just helped the que, pulled the plug on my order. Requested cancel and refund and was acknowledged by Keri in about 5 minutes! On to other projects!

mr_3_0_5 said:
Keri was just on vacation
Claims that production will ramp up shortly
I don't know if I could take a vacation knowing all these people are waiting on me

Thanks for the update. And I agree, there is no way I would take a vacation after having created a product that immediately generated such interest and so many orders. But if the two week gap was due to vacation I'm still glad to know.

RickF said:
mr_3_0_5 said:
I don't know if I could take a vacation knowing all these people are waiting on me

Thanks for the update. And I agree, there is no way I would take a vacation after having created a product that immediately generated such interest and so many orders. But if the two week gap was due to vacation I'm still glad to know.

Gah! This is as bad as the "mainstream media", so much misinformation and unfounded rumors. People, get a grip and read back through this thread for the facts before reposting misinformation over and over and over...

wp6529 said:
mr_3_0_5 said:

I don't believe he was actually on vacation, I believe it was a day-job research trip that had been a year plus in planning.

There was a QC / power issue on the assembly line, which is why shipments (not assembly) was halted until Keri got back to sort things out, and it appears he ordered more QC test equipment while in transit back to Canada to ensure the issue was put to rest.

This should mean there is a large pile of assembled and ready to ship gimbals that will ship once they receive the enhanced QC checks, thus we should see a large number of shipments in the next week or two. Perhaps a few weeks after that the pre-order backlog will have been cleared and the site will go to regular orders with minimal lead time to shipment.

More details on the reasons behind the slow shipping. Thank you! I'm both patient, regarding getting my RP, and appreciative of the insight you have provided.

Maybe I'm wrong guys I don't know what the man does for a living
I assumed he was on a vacation but apparently he has a really cool job
Sorry if I was wrong

I was not on vacation, but it's easy to make that mistake given that I was in the Caribbean for a month!

I was stationed in Dominica leading two consecutive marine mammal research groups, focused mainly on photographically documenting the resident sperm whale population. This was done under strict government permit, which is not available simply to vacationers. Attached is a copy of one of the permits.

Very bad timing, I know - but my hands were tied. Anyway, we're past that now, and the manufacturing/assembly issues have been resolved, so now were pushing forward faster than ever.

Keri

Attachments

• March 11 Permit (1)-2.jpg
    March 11 Permit (1)-2.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 469
  • March 11 Permit (1)-1.jpg
    March 11 Permit (1)-1.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 438
I'm having problems with my gimbal when pointed straight down it seems to shake a bit. Enought that it noticabily shows up in the video. Any ideas on how to fix this?

wfilleman said:
Maybe 1 of you with the RP gimbal can help me out.

I've notice in my videos I get a lot of jello affect.
I have tighten the thumb screws all the way and loosen them up and inbetween. But I still get jello affect.

Today I was showing off the gimbal to my friend. I had the phantom powered on and started to show him how it works. When I tilted the phantom forward slowly I notice the gimbal started shaking. I believe this is the cause of my videos having jello affect.

Now my question is, do any of you know what might be causing the gimbal to shake like that?
I've reached out to Keri but haven't heard from him yet.

I had the same issues and finally had the time tonight to sit down with the BaseCam software to dig into the SimpleBGC board settings. The good news is I figured it out for my scenario and hope this info helps for others with this same issue. I will preface this with a big "do at your own risk". I have no insider knowledge of the settings nor have received advanced instructions from RotorPixel. Just felt like taking a risk tonight on my own to dig in and tweak.

The problem seems to be that the power output set for the motors is too high. At least in my case. When you bring up the BaseCam SimpleBGC GUI 2.2b software and connect it to your gimbal board through USB, take a look at the right gauges. If you see the blue arrows shaking back and forth around the zero point, that would be symptomatic of the same issue I saw.

I think what's happening here is the motors are fighting a little similar to when you tense your muscles up in your arm and your arm starts shaking. The solution is to back off the power to the motors until you find where you can physically tap the camera and watch the gimbal level back out to where the blue arrows no longer shake back and forth. Also, if you take the vision in your hands and manipulate it around you shouldn't see that blue arrow ever shaking/vibrating around the zero point.

The fix is this: I ended up dropping the power output to both motors to around 65 down from what was set at 80 roll/95 pitch. With these settings I no longer get the camera shakes. If you go too low, there's not enough power to the motor to handle abrupt changes in pitch/roll, so you'll likely need to play with these power settings a bit to fine tune it for your environment. My guess is each individual gimbal may have slightly different numbers and especially with the filter attached. I suspect that those with the filter don't see this shaking because the added weight would match the power output from the motors pretty well.

Anyways, hope this helps.

Wes

Thanks for the info Wes. Brought the power outputs on both motors down and everything is smooth now.

autolux said:
AresSK said:
I'm having some trouble with the 7th channel hack.

I have the Rotorpixel gimbal installed.
I've done the latest firmware update.
I've updated the Software Assistant to 2.0

I've run the software to do the 7th channel hack. After I do the hack the lever on the back of the Tx does move the camera but just a little. I'm not getting much travel (it mainly points horizontally and but only moves down just a little).

Has anyone had any success getting the 7th channel to work with the Rotorpixel gimbal and getting the full travel expected with the camera?

Note, I'm using Vision mode - haven't switched to NAZA yet. Is that a requirement for the hack to fully work?

Thanks.

I had a similar issue with this hack, even though I don't have the Rotorwaitsel Gimbal yet. Im number 900 so I think Im slated to get mine in June of 2134. :) I upgraded to 2.0, did the hack, and was left with a lever that only moved my camera a few degrees AND suddenly I couldn't calibrate my compass and the Phantom just flipped over on its back on takeoff. I don't have the time or desire to figure out whats wrong with this thing, but I do know how to ship packages, so I'm sending it back to the dealer I bought it from who also services Phantoms. If you guys haven't checked out Aces Deals you should. Peter that runs the site is a super cool guy and i buy everything Phantom from him.

I'm really hoping DJI would just sell the lever, or release its own hack so the gimbal settings wouldn't disable. Right now, that lever isn't doing anything for me.

I think the issue might be the latest upgrade - it should have been done before you upgraded the firmware then you would have been OK as a few people have noticed it doesnt work after this latest one

Pull_Up said:
flyNfrank said:
In a situation like this the better option is to purchase what the majority are doing as well. Now, in saying that, I meant to order this several weeks ago before becoming swamped with other things. But now I'm in an even more of a predicament. My card was declined and I think it is because Toronto Canada is considered a International purchase, and the other mostly reason is I'm using a visa debit card and not an actual credit card. I stopped using credit cards many years ago and never had an issue until now.

I'm positive I can get this straightened out with a call to my bank on Monday.

Frank if you drop Rotorpixel a line I'm sure they can process a payment for you outside the online store using PayPal or other service or give details about doing a bank transfer or something if you still can't proceed.

From what I have learned they do not except using debit cards. I'm waiting on a response now about other payment options.

flyNfrank said:
Pull_Up said:
flyNfrank said:
In a situation like this the better option is to purchase what the majority are doing as well. Now, in saying that, I meant to order this several weeks ago before becoming swamped with other things. But now I'm in an even more of a predicament. My card was declined and I think it is because Toronto Canada is considered a International purchase, and the other mostly reason is I'm using a visa debit card and not an actual credit card. I stopped using credit cards many years ago and never had an issue until now.

I'm positive I can get this straightened out with a call to my bank on Monday.

Frank if you drop Rotorpixel a line I'm sure they can process a payment for you outside the online store using PayPal or other service or give details about doing a bank transfer or something if you still can't proceed.

From what I have learned they do not except using debit cards. I'm waiting on a response now about other payment options.
I paid with a Visa debit card !
If that's any help.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor