Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

bobbo984 said:
To everyone waiting - You've all just got one step closer... #420 cancelled today!

Sold my vision so no longer needed the gimbal. Definitely think it's still the best on the market for the Vision..

Keri replied to me very quickly and had no problem with the refund.

make that 2 steps closer.. Cancelled mine as well.

tizzl10 said:
bobbo984 said:
To everyone waiting - You've all just got one step closer... #420 cancelled today!

Sold my vision so no longer needed the gimbal. Definitely think it's still the best on the market for the Vision..

Are you guys picking up some information that the rest of us aren't aware of ...?
Like maybe something from DJI ...

bobomet said:
tizzl10 said:
bobbo984 said:

Are you guys picking up some information that the rest of us aren't aware of ...?
Like maybe something from DJI ...

that and coupled with rotorpixel's consistent failure to communicate with what's going on with production. Competition is getting fiercer by the day and the natives are restless. With my order number and at the current rate of production, the phantom 4 will be out before I get this gimbal...but I digress..not going to start with my rants.

that and coupled with rotorpixel's consistent failure to communicate with what's going on with production. Competition is getting fiercer by the day and the natives are restless. With my order number and at the current rate of production, the phantom 4 will be out before I get this gimbal...but I digress..not going to start with my rants.[/quote]

I understand m8.
My issue is I cannot plan my projects for June-September because I'm not sure what my capability might be.
I'm staying in line for now, but the first news from DJI will probably change all that.

bobomet said:
that and coupled with rotorpixel's consistent failure to communicate with what's going on with production. Competition is getting fiercer by the day and the natives are restless. With my order number and at the current rate of production, the phantom 4 will be out before I get this gimbal...but I digress..not going to start with my rants.

I understand m8.
My issue is I cannot plan my projects for June-September because I'm not sure what my capability might be.
I'm staying in line for now, but the first news from DJI will probably change all that.[/quote]

there are other options available. what part of VA are you?

I'm going down the phantom 2, Zen and gopro.
Can't hold off any longer.. already have a gopro, so the change isn't costing me much now that the vision is sold!

both setups have their own pros and cons... really depends on the user!

[/quote]

Like maybe something from DJI ...[/quote]

I've had several dealers say they couldn't share specifics but at the NAB convention some new things announced, and yes, for the Vision. Basically they said to hold off until mid April to order a gimbal if I haven't already. It is speculation but pretty good as NAB is where they announce a lot of new photography technology and DJI has a large booth at the convention http://nab14.mapyourshow.com/5_0/exhibi ... ?exhid=838. At Rotorpixel's rate of production, I'm keeping my order placed and if something is announced by then and I haven't received my Rotorpixel order, I will cancel at that time.

bobbo984 said:
I'm going down the phantom 2, Zen and gopro.
Can't hold off any longer.. already have a gopro, so the change isn't costing me much now that the vision is sold!

both setups have their own pros and cons... really depends on the user!
Good move really!
I may be close behind.

Although many other factors could be compared between these two prototype procedures, the outcome is already clear. While 3D printing is extremely useful in the early stages of a product, injection molding is absolutely the best path to take when creating a more formalized and finalized prototype.

read the entire article here.
https://www.thalmic.com/blog/3d-printin ... lmic-labs/
:D

Been patiently watching and reading this post. I feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Very heated group/subject. I myself have gone up and down and was pulled different ways especially with the announcement of the 3axis gimbal from DJI and a package P2 setup. Very very tempting.

However I "think" i've decided to hang on for this RP gimbal. I think Kerri seems like a solid guy and I think you would be hard pressed to get this kind of communication and feedback from DJI. Also since buying the new GoPro3+blk..the idea of swapping cameras at will and an eventual 3rd axis upgrade.. I'm sold. Not to mention I know my rig well now. It's been reliable. I have been inside and out of it and I have grown attached. Who knew that would happen.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I will have it before my vacation in 10 days...not even remotely close (#138) but there will be other trips. The foliage in Vermont in September ought to make for some great footage.

JJ

WeaponsHot said:
Although many other factors could be compared between these two prototype procedures, the outcome is already clear. While 3D printing is extremely useful in the early stages of a product, injection molding is absolutely the best path to take when creating a more formalized and finalized prototype.

I worked in a molding department while in my late teens and early twenties. It's very difficult to beat the speed, repeatability and choice of materials that injection molding gives you.

There's also a substantial start up cost. The machinery is expensive, creates a lot of heat, requires a lot of maintenance and requires precision tooling. It would take a thorough cost/benefit analysis to figure out where the lines intersect. It absolutely depends on how many units you plan on manufacturing over a fairly long period of time.

There are also secondary operations when injection molding a part. De-gating for instance.

If you're fairly sure you're going to manufacture the product over, for instance, a ten year span and the forecast is for thousands of units per month... you might want to consider injection molding. If, on the other hand, you're forecasting (after the initial rush) only a few hundred a month over a period of just a couple of years... There's no way you'd go with injection molding...

Of course there are a lot of other factors that play into this. Are there other items you could injection mold? Do you plan on being in the manufacturing business for the long haul, and feel you'll have other items that might make injection molding more attractive, etc...

-slinger

Pull_Up said:
MikeySoft said:
Is that USD or Canadian dollars? :D

Actually, to be honest...

nynaryza.jpg

EDIT: **** you Tapatalk image attachment handling, **** you to hell...
You or Daisy?

gunslinger said:
WeaponsHot said:

Of course there are a lot of other factors that play into this. Are there other items you could injection mold? Do you plan on being in the manufacturing business for the long haul, and feel you'll have other items that might make injection molding more attractive, etc...

-slinger

Roger That, that is why you use a contract manufacturer and amortize (the piece price is increased by some percent to cover the tooling) the tooling over the production run, so you don't have to be in that business. And the electronics also lend themselves to Electronics Manufacturing Services (EMS). Spent 15 years in that business.
But it all depends on lot sizes, the more you build the cheeper it is, your quality and repeatability goes up as well as your profit margin. You can do the final integration and testing or the EMS company can do that for you as well called "turn key". With 30 day payment terms you don't have to pay them until 30 days later after the product ships. Great if you have a backlog, bad if your product is not on the market yet. This Enables you to focus on the next design, customer service and marketing. Without expanding those things-no sales. Its a very familiar do loop. The Brains of the outfit gets caught up in manufacturing of the product and is not allowed to be the brains he/she becomes the fixer. Myself I love being on the manufacturing floor, I miss it.

iResq said:
streetcreep said:
Do I have have my gimbal yet ??!! funny .. of course not . I was just reading that and says adjust need to be made around pitch and roll. I assumed you would have had to adjust something inside the control board for this thing .. guess not

I wasn't trying to be funny, I hope you didn't take offense. Once you get it, it will be obvious.

nope no offence at all :D Cheers

JustJames said:
Been patiently watching and reading this post. I feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Very heated group/subject. I myself have gone up and down and was pulled different ways especially with the announcement of the 3axis gimbal from DJI and a package P2 setup. Very very tempting.

However I "think" i've decided to hang on for this RP gimbal. I think Kerri seems like a solid guy and I think you would be hard pressed to get this kind of communication and feedback from DJI. Also since buying the new GoPro3+blk..the idea of swapping cameras at will and an eventual 3rd axis upgrade.. I'm sold. Not to mention I know my rig well now. It's been reliable. I have been inside and out of it and I have grown attached. Who knew that would happen.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I will have it before my vacation in 10 days...not even remotely close (#138) but there will be other trips. The foliage in Vermont in September ought to make for some great footage.

JJ

Or SNOW in November :D

autolux said:
bobonet said:
Yeah, you have to be careful with your rants or else the ultimate fanboy iDrone will have a hissy fit. Apparently you aren't allowed to complain about anything in here. :)

Autolux, no one's stopping you from posting a concern or question that hasn't already been expressed asked before, but it would be naive to think you'd get by unscathed blindly parroting without reading what's already been expressed here by others ten too many times over the threshold of pain, unless you like seared earlobes and enjoy coming off like a whiny wet-blanket. If you're going to complain, bring something new to the table we haven't already heard before, and if you have any suggestions on how to fix things for god sakes share those too... for all we know you could be a biz genius holding back... is Ted Turner on the floor?

Keri,
An idea that might be worth offering... It won't slow down existing production & could easily take care of a few folks who want their gimbals right away: As its basically offline anyway, consider lighting up the 2nd printer for an afternoon to crank out 25-75pcs at .3mm layer, 20% Density (you get the idea) and offer them to those who can't wait and are willing to accept a "proto" carriage. Offer it as an inexpensive option for those who are willing to accept the "proto" carriage now, and ship the final carriage later when regular production is up to speed.

So long as they don't crash it should be good enough until their final carriage is ready. Not sure how many people would be interested to go that route, but if it gets them a fully functioning gimbal quicker & the final carriage in the mail later I don't see a downside to this. $25-$75 for the extra ABS, labor, & S&H should more than cover, meanwhile your regular production basically continues unhindered. Food for thought.

iDrone :idea:

I'm order 962. Why have I not got shipment notification yet??? Geez! It's been a whole 5 hours since I placed the order!! :lol: :lol:

I'm guessing the new Ground Station capabilities will fuel a new interest in solutions where you can use the FC200 as opposed to a GoPro 3 and the brand new ZenMuse H3-3D. Nice break for Keri :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT