Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Wow, I really like the way the new FC200 enclosure just clicks in place! In fact I like it so much, I implemented it in my design on june 14 :)
Enclosure_v13_preview_featured.jpg

I also really like that RotorPixel has overcome the dreaded honeycomb problem by using injection molding. Another way is to tick the option "solid infill every 1 layers" in slic3r (3D printing software)... and while you are at it, set the layer height to 0.1 to minimize the visible lines in the print.

But REALLY nice to get some updates from RotorPixel! Thank you Keri, keep the information flowing. If you need to implement a GoPro add on to your design, it can be found at Thingiverse, it is Creative Commons, so feel free to use it to satisfy your customers! (add a pinhole to turn Wifi on and off, if you get the design, before I update it :)
GoPro_enclosure_v3_preview_featured.jpg

Great...Finally an update.

All we need to know now, is when will "UPGRADE KITS" be available for existing customers?

I know he still needs to get back up to production speed for all outstanding orders, but an Upgrade Kit wont set his time line back any if he has the parts procured.

Thanks for the Update.

The Rookie.

DKDarkness said:
Wow, I really like the way the new FC200 enclosure just clicks in place! In fact I like it so much, I implemented it in my design on june 14 :)
Enclosure_v13_preview_featured.jpg

I also really like that RotorPixel has overcome the dreaded honeycomb problem by using injection molding. Another way is to tick the option "solid infill every 1 layers" in slic3r (3D printing software)... and while you are at it, set the layer height to 0.1 to minimize the visible lines in the print.

But REALLY nice to get some updates from RotorPixel! Thank you Keri, keep the information flowing. If you need to implement a GoPro add on to your design, it can be found at Thingiverse, it is Creative Commons, so feel free to use it to satisfy your customers! (add a pinhole to turn Wifi on and off, if you get the design, before I update it :)
GoPro_enclosure_v3_preview_featured.jpg

Now, now! Bearing in mind you "borrowed heavily" from their logo and name, it only seems fair to borrow something back, no?! ;)

Also the problem they reported having wasn't quality of the 3D print (I have no complaints at all with mine) it was the length of time it was taking. Adding more infill and even higher resolution would have slowed production even further, surely? Part of me also wonders if having a camera holder that will sacrifice itself under higher loads and won't transfer the whole energy into the camera might be a good thing in the event of a very unexpected landing...?

It's been said before, but I'll say it again - the Rotorpixel is a good gimbal. It's not buggy, it worked out of the box for me and will survive a lot more crash damage than the Vision Plus gimbal ever could, for example. However Rotorpixel the company is run by engineers who want to do good engineering, and too many engineers and not enough "front of house" types is not a recipe for good communications. There's no conspiracy there, no scam, and I genuinely believe they want to give people the best product possible - they are just useless at the touchy-feely stuff.

Still, I like this bit of the post: "We've got more exciting announcements coming soon, which we think you'll agree will make our gimbals a very worthwhile investment..." What shall we speculate that's about? GoPro mount? RX100 mount? Third axis kit? :)

as of today it has been 4 months since I ordered at a total cost of $513.16 AUD it had better be worth it. just when I think about getting a refund they dangle the update carrot. :?:

Pull_Up said:
Now, now! Bearing in mind you "borrowed heavily" from their logo and name, it only seems fair to borrow something back, no?! ;)

Also the problem they reported having wasn't quality of the 3D print (I have no complaints at all with mine) it was the length of time it was taking. Adding more infill and even higher resolution would have slowed production even further, surely? Part of me also wonders if having a camera holder that will sacrifice itself under higher loads and won't transfer the whole energy into the camera might be a good thing in the event of a very unexpected landing...?

It's been said before, but I'll say it again - the Rotorpixel is a good gimbal. It's not buggy, it worked out of the box for me and will survive a lot more crash damage than the Vision Plus gimbal ever could, for example. However Rotorpixel the company is run by engineers who want to do good engineering, and too many engineers and not enough "front of house" types is not a recipe for good communications. There's no conspiracy there, no scam, and I genuinely believe they want to give people the best product possible - they are just useless at the touchy-feely stuff.

Still, I like this bit of the post: "We've got more exciting announcements coming soon, which we think you'll agree will make our gimbals a very worthwhile investment..." What shall we speculate that's about? GoPro mount? RX100 mount? Third axis kit? :)

Hi Simon, I agree that the project MotorPixie borrowed heavily when naming it self. That was kind of the point :) I VERY MUCH encourage RotorPixel to borrow / get inspired by the open source project MotorPixie and other open source projects as possible. That is the whole idea of open source: Share ideas.

Regarding the weight of a "solid" FC200 holder. I agree that the weight is increased by about 10% when printing it solid. But since the increase is the difference between 10.2g for a 25% infill and 11.0g for a solid print, the extra weight is worth it :) And yes, 3D printing is slow. Keri mentioned something about "professional" 3D printers back in the day, but injection molding is definitely the way to go. It just seems as the R&D is very slow at RotorPixel. Also the engineering background seems to hold them back. They started the RotorPixel gimbal for the FC200 with spare parts they had lying around from their previous gimbal, and stuck with the parts for far too long. Now they introduce new parts, which is really great, but they are still stuck with the rod design on their gimbal motors, making them way wider than they need to be. If it was to make the interchange of the FC200 mount and the GoPro mount as hassle free as possible, well that ship has long sailed? Are they going to switch the baseplate from aluminium to carbon? Not until they have used up their supply of aluminium baseplates. Are they going to offer the RotorPixel mrk. I at a reduced price, once the mrk. II is available? Probably not (since the most costly parts are the motors and BaseCam controller, and the most buggy parts to manufacture is the DJI plug, the DJI jack and soldering). Are they going to offer the new parts as a upgrade kit, since the sales pitch in the first place was: With the original BaseCam board, the gimbal is easily upgradable? Probably not. BUT I WOULD LOVE FOR KERI TO PROOVE ME WRONG! :)

I sent the following email to RotorPixel from their website yesterday and received a reply from Keri in under 45 minutes...

-slinger

Subject: Shipping... availability... backorders...
Message: Is this product still available? Is there an ETA for delivery?

Yes, it's still available, and we're still taking more and more orders
every day! We're about to resume shipping units, most likely starting
next week, but we need to clear through the backorders first, which
could take a couple of weeks. The sooner that you place your order,
the sooner you'll receive it!

Thanks,

Keri

I'll give him time to get caught up. Hopefully some options will appear on his website soon.

I'm interested in the smaller motors and shorter frame.
Perhaps a 3rd axis too at some point.

So with the new injection moulded parts does anyone have any idea of eta? I know it's the $6M question. Seems like this forum can answer better than Keri.

Geert said:
Walksalot said:
So with the new injection moulded parts does anyone have any idea of eta? I know it's the $6M question. Seems like this forum can answer better than Keri.

I did send several emails to Keri , no answer is coming my way.

Geert./.
Thanks don't know if I have the patience to wait. Any thoughts on the next best gimbal

Getting back to the matter at hand...

My order is number #******3270. Any idea what numbers RP are up to? Placed my order on 15 May.

ronofcam said:

My order is number #******3270. Any idea what numbers RP are up to? Placed my order on 15 May.

Read the past 2 or 3 pages... Keri is back up and running with new injection molded parts.

Geert said:
Hi guys,

Yesterday I received an update from Keri.
They are now on the absolute verge of finally having the capacity to catch up with orders.
I won't be long now before the get through the backorders list. Lets hope that the 3 axis is next on the list.

Geert./.

Well it nice to see he is al least trying to reach out to the people who have been staunch supporters like you Geert to try and patch the lack of business communication savey they seem to be desperately lacking. Hopefully he is spending zero time on the 3 axis untill he has fullfilled all of the existing pre-orders and is on the assembly line with the others or stuffing packages to get caught up, the pre-paid customers deserve that at a minimum. I believe the wait has been worth it to us all but his competition will be catching up real soon then the ship jumping will be an epidemic if his product is not out there by then.

ronofcam said:

My order number is 682. I'll post when I get a shipment notification.

RotorPixel 3D gimbal comming up?

I know that I probably stir the pot by adding a post containing the magic words "RotorPixel"...

Anyway, since there is no concurrent flow of information from RotorPixel, lets do what we have been doing with Apple products for years: Wild speculation! :)

RotorPixel recently announced that they were switching from 3D printed parts to injection molded ones. They stated the reason being the injection molded ones would be much stronger. Fact is, there isn't much issue with strength of the existing parts, I for one have never seen a post complaining about broken RotorPixel parts (Way to go RotorPixel!). There are however 2 main reasons to switch from 3D printed parts to injection molded ones: Weight and a lower profile (they don't have to be as thick).

RotorPixel also announced a switch to lighter thinner motors. The motors have a bigger diameter, so they would block more wifi signal. So why switch to a thinner motor type? Space.

So RotorPixel are loosing weight and gaining space by their switch. What do you need weight loss and space for? A YAW motor and 3rd axis extension board for the BaseCam controller (provided they don't ship the 3D version with the 32 bit tiny 3-Axis BaseCam contoller)

So my theory is, that there will in fact, in due time, be released a 3D gimbal from RotorPixel, that will include a new mounting plate for the P2V and 25-30mm leg extensions. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYDiPizDIs[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl