Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Rotorpixel said:
This is textbook "jello", Geert, and is specifically why we used variable tightness thumbscrews in each of the vibration dampers. No two P2V systems were created equal when it comes to vibration frequency and amplitude, so everyone will require a slightly different amount of tightening/loosening of the white thumbscrews in order to eliminate vibrations. Be careful that the screws are not tightened so far that the pitch control cable (coming from the underside of the P2V) becomes pinched between the gimbal and the P2V body. Also be careful not to tighten them so much that the gimbal frame contacts the underside of the P2V directly - when such contact occurs, the P2V motor vibrations are essentially transferred directly to the camera... which is not a good thing!

Keri

Keri, can you comment on some posts mentioning reducing power to the motors as a way of reducing their vibration, as I find it a little odd to have to do something like that, especially given the reduction of vibration and jello by the correct twiddling of the thumbscrews ? This reduced power option seems a little extreme to me and something which you would no doubt have recognised when you tried the slightly less powerful motors ? Is it fair to say that really the vast majority of people would expect just to use the damper setting as a means of reducing vibration and jello ? The less tinkering with settings the better as far as I am concerned.

MikeySoft said:
MikeySoft said:
jadebox said:
EricT said:
The Z-axis I do not really understand other than perhaps minor fluctuations in the yaw might be eliminated from the camera's perspective.

That's it. It's not as major an upgrade as adding the second axis, but will be nice.

-- Roger
I've seen a video of a phantom with a 3rd axes for yaw. I'm not sure if it was posted on the forum or I just came across it on YouTube but can't find it now.

Anyway, the problem I see with that video is the the yaw of the camera is delayed to stabilize it. Thus the feet of the phantom are often in the video as the pilot yaws it.

I found the video with the 3d gimbal. You can see the phantom's feet around 1:15, 1:40 and 2:22.

World's First DJI Zenmuse H3-3D Stability Demo: http://youtu.be/Trw9aS22w9s

As the description says, they were doing deliberately fast moves to show the capabilities. If you fly more normally and use the correct gimbal settings, you can avoid legs in shot. Although of course the pro rigs with a third axis that can pan the camera independently all have retracts. That might be a mod too far for a Vision.

MikeySoft said:
MikeySoft said:
jadebox said:
EricT said:
The Z-axis I do not really understand other than perhaps minor fluctuations in the yaw might be eliminated from the camera's perspective.

That's it. It's not as major an upgrade as adding the second axis, but will be nice.

-- Roger
I've seen a video of a phantom with a 3rd axes for yaw. I'm not sure if it was posted on the forum or I just came across it on YouTube but can't find it now.

Anyway, the problem I see with that video is the the yaw of the camera is delayed to stabilize it. Thus the feet of the phantom are often in the video as the pilot yaws it.

I found the video with the 3d gimbal. You can see the phantom's feet around 1:15, 1:40 and 2:22.

World's First DJI Zenmuse H3-3D Stability Demo: http://youtu.be/Trw9aS22w9s

As the description says, they were doing deliberately fast moves to show the capabilities. If you fly more normally and use the correct gimbal settings, you can avoid legs in shot. Although of course the pro rigs with a third axis that can pan the camera independently all have retracts. That might be a mod too far for a Vision!

As I understand the RP gimbal has been moved forward so there is a good chance that you may not see any legs or props appearing in your shot. We'll have to wait till the 3rd axis add-on becomes available.

In regards to props appearing in shots, could one of the lucky RP gimbal owners please do a test flying forward at speed and banking left and right whilst moving forward to see if any of the props appear in the shot. 3rd axis may be slightly different but we'll have to wait for that option.

May your Phantom take you on adventures!!

Vicromo, awesome video testimonial of both Vision & RP. You'd never know it was that windy were it not for seeing the palms flailing in the breeze of that calm picture.

Geert & All, because MOS imagers are read out to file "live" line-by-line instead of "frozen" first then flash-read out of the imager as an entire frame to file as CCD imagers do, any horizontal movement transpiring between reading consecutive lines will be offset in picture from where the previous line was acquired, hence a fast pan of a telephone pole will appear slanted or skewed and if there is counter movement such as from vibration the pole will appear "wiggly".

"Jello" worsens with fast horizontal motion in one direction (like a fast pan, or objects zipping past the camera that have pronounced vertical edges) and doubles or multiplies (wiggles) with fast horizontal motion in both directions (such as caused by vibrations along the horizontal axis).

So any excess horizontal vibration from prop imbalance, worn motor bearings, excessive gimbal X axis gain (shaking), loose or stiff dampers inducing oscillations fighting vibration & wind, stiff umbilical cables, etc will only aggravate "jello".

In 720 60p a frame is read out of the imager twice as fast, and requires 360 lines less than shooting in 1080 30p, the camera is better able to keep up with fast movement and jello is less prevalent.

Minimize/eliminate vibration & fine tune the gimbal's suspension to tune-out any odd harmonics and you'll get what you're trying to achieve.

iDrone :ugeek:

iDrone said:
Vicromo, awesome video testimonial of both Vision & RP. You'd never know it was that windy were it not for seeing the palms flailing in the breeze of that calm picture.

Geert & All, because MOS imagers are read out to file "live" line-by-line instead of "frozen" first then flash-read out of the imager as an entire frame to file as CCD imagers do, any horizontal movement transpiring between reading consecutive lines will be offset in picture from where the previous line was acquired, hence a fast pan of a telephone pole will appear slanted or skewed and if there is counter movement such as from vibration the pole will appear "wiggly".

"Jello" worsens with fast horizontal motion in one direction (like a fast pan, or objects zipping past the camera that have pronounced vertical edges) and doubles or multiplies (wiggles) with fast horizontal motion in both directions (such as caused by vibrations along the horizontal axis).

So any excess horizontal vibration from prop imbalance, worn motor bearings, excessive gimbal X axis gain (shaking), loose or stiff dampers inducing oscillations fighting vibration & wind, stiff umbilical cables, etc will only aggravate "jello".

In 720 60p a frame is read out of the imager twice as fast, and requires 360 lines less than shooting in 1080 30p, the camera is better able to keep up with fast movement and jello is less prevalent.

Minimize/eliminate vibration & fine tune the gimbal's suspension to tune-out any odd harmonics and you'll get what you're trying to achieve.

iDrone :ugeek:
Good Info!

Xcopter said:
As I understand the RP gimbal has been moved forward so there is a good chance that you may not see any legs or props appearing in your shot. We'll have to wait till the 3rd axis add-on becomes available.

In regards to props appearing in shots, could one of the lucky RP gimbal owners please do a test flying forward at speed and banking left and right whilst moving forward to see if any of the props appear in the shot. 3rd axis may be slightly different but we'll have to wait for that option.
I've seen multicopter videos with retractable landing gear. While it looked cool, I never understood why until now.

Does the forward mounting of the camera change the CG so the forward props need more power to keep it level? I've notice the RP gimbal's control board is mounted back. Does this keep the cg in the center?

Thank you early adopters... For us, who are further down the line and waiting for our gimbals. You guys are doing all the testing, therby making our gimbals ready to fly with most of the bugs already worked out.
As much as i'd like to contribute, its nice knowing these issues will be identifed or resolved by the time my gimbal arrives. So a big "thank you" to the first recipients of the RP Gimbal.

The Rookie

What was so special about that 3D gimbal over a standard one, sorry for noob question and to keep it on topic when will Rotorpixel implement it ;-)

Geert said:
Vicrimo said:
After about a week trying to figure out what was causing a lot of gimbal shake, I finally got it fixed and took it out for a spin on this nice windy day. What better way to test the gimbal in action :D

http://youtu.be/spfmzXSasvs

Nice video, also awesome spot.

So , what did you find out about the video shaking ?

Geert.

Geert,

The shaking in my videos was caused by the power output going to the motors, it was set too high. I had to download simplebgc 2.2b2 GUI to adjust power output.

I had reached out to Keri before I tried anything. He told me the shake might be caused by 2 things.
1. The solder points on the motors or going to the motors not being solder properly or having solder flux runoff and coming into contact with another solder point.
2. The power output going to the motors

Luckily for me it was #2 and it was an easy fix

-- Roger[/quote]

Anyway, the problem I see with that video is the the yaw of the camera is delayed to stabilize it. Thus the feet of the phantom are often in the video as the pilot yaws it.[/quote]

World's First DJI Zenmuse H3-3D Stability Demo: http://youtu.be/Trw9aS22w9s[/quote]

you can see the feet only because they pushed it really hard to test it, but usually you'd not film with so drastic moves.

MikeySoft said:
Xcopter said:

I've seen multicopter videos with retractable landing gear. While it looked cool, I never understood why until now.

Does the forward mounting of the camera change the CG so the forward props need more power to keep it level? I've notice the RP gimbal's control board is mounted back. Does this keep the cg in the center?

I can't answer your query as I am waiting for my order. It might be that the control board on the back helps to balance out the gimbal to the quad. Once I get my gimbal I will be able to contribute to this post and let you know. ;)

RCRookie said:
Thank you early adopters... For us, who are further down the line and waiting for our gimbals. You guys are doing all the testing, therby making our gimbals ready to fly with most of the bugs already worked out.
As much as i'd like to contribute, its nice knowing these issues will be indentifed or resolved by the time my gimbal arrives. So a big "thank you" to the first recipients of the RP Gimbal.

The Rookie

+1

Great guide. A question, do you recived a tracking number of the gimbal when was sended, or how Keri do?[/quote]

I ordered mine on 29/03 and so far just have an confirmation of order and order number, I believe you get another email when it's shipped , "Pull Up" will know ,he has his fitted ,

Scottrod said:
flyNfrank said:
Bigvern said:
I paid with a Visa debit card !
If that's any help.

Now I know you teasing. That's exactly what I tried using, and she also explained by email that their system does not except Debit Cards. Maybe I will drive there as it is just a 12hr drive. NOT!

Actually Keri mentioned they will get it sorted out.

Frank I actually used a debit card too. I too stopped using credit cards many years ago and I'm OCD about it. I did get an extra $7-10 charge for it being an out of country charge but mine worked.

Well I don't know if it was my bank, or the RotorPixel crew that post here and don't respond to their emails. But anyway the debit card finally worked last evening and I'm now on the list. I must say that rejected feeling from my card showing as declined doesn't sit well me. First thing that goes through your mind is your account is empty. So while nervously racing to your online bank account things are flashing in your memory, did I buy from someone crooked that stole your identity and drain my account? Do I really not know how to manage my money? And then....the page opens up and you see everything is as it should in your account and a huge relief warms over you. Then you go back to where it all began and run your info again thinking you probably just entered your info wrong, but soon find out that one again it's a no-go. No matter how you flip it, it's just part of life. Maybe the wait time wont be as long?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl