Rotopixel Gimbal thoughts

Reaction score
Hi I know this topic has been hashed about a thousand times but gonna ask again, I havent had my Phantom vision 2 for very long yet but just seen the new one the vision 3 that came out and really wanted to get it but just cant seem to justify the money spent on it, would like to get steadier shots and I guess the only way to do that is with a gimbal, been looking at the rotopixel gimbal but have read alot of horror stories so far about the compass not calibrating and crashes after installing it, just basicly all kinds of horror stories, so I guess my question is do I just go out a nd buy it, I just dont want to have more problems after installing it then I have now, aslo dont want it to end up as a 500 dollar paper weight, sorry 500 bucks is a great deal of cash, and after installing it does the camera really hit on the ground like everyones been saying after install, help me make up my mind on weather to purchase it or not, any feedback would help Thanks

Is there still a long line? I remember at one point, there was a 2-4 month wait.

I've installed two and no problems with either. I had the original version and installed it last year. That bird is still in use with my son. My new bird has the new version RP gimbal and it works perfectly. I have not updated to the latest software but have the previous version. Seems that's when this started happening.

There is currently no wait. It come from Canada and I had it within 10 days here in the US.

Geo

I've installed two and no problems with either. I had the original version and installed it last year. That bird is still in use with my son. My new bird has the new version RP gimbal and it works perfectly. I have not updated to the latest software but have the previous version. Seems that's when this started happening.

There is currently no wait. It come from Canada and I had it within 10 days here in the US.

Geo
what version software are you running Geo?

I believe I'm on 3.12. The first bird I installed the extended and wider legs. On the second one I bought the legs for the vision plus which are very similar to the stock ones but slightly longer. It looks better to me this way. I also have the filter kit and it all fits fine.

Geo

Thanks Geo thats the version software I believe I have as well, this gives me some reassurance then think Im going to place an order for one then.....Thanks again for the info

Oops, I just checked and I'm on 3.08. I thought I had heard there was a problem with subsequent updates.Is 3.12 cool to run with?

Geo

Thats what I was wondering as well have heard some where that they were having problems with that version of software, thats the version I have, just hate to spend the 500 bucks and it doesnt work properly

Thats what I was wondering as well have heard some where that they were having problems with that version of software, thats the version I have, just hate to spend the 500 bucks and it doesnt work properly
I have had compass calibration issues since updating to firmware v3.12.
The compass calibration fails to complete successfully unless I first unplug the Rotorpixel gimbal. It seems that the newest firmware is more sensitive and the RP gimbal is causing interference.

Mine worked with no problems on 3.12 and there's no back up now on orders . Looked last nite .
Also have not had any issues with calibrating the compass with it .
Do have the shielded compass though .
or did and will again shortly :)

You will again shortly? You getting another Vision or your one fixed (if it can)?

You will again shortly? You getting another Vision or your one fixed (if it can)?
Another from a member here . There's no fixing that one !!!!!!!
Well if ya got new shell. Main board several motor's and other things yea ya could but not worth it .

I have had compass calibration issues since updating to firmware v3.12.
The compass calibration fails to complete successfully unless I first unplug the Rotorpixel gimbal. It seems that the newest firmware is more sensitive and the RP gimbal is causing interference.

BManCan,

I just installed the China gimbal a week ago. It works great, after some minor software adjustments. (Another thread). And I too had compass calibration issues right away. The way I was able to fix it was to "arrest" the Gimbal, or hold it in place with a home made guard while calibrating. I guess the movement or flopping around bothered the compass.

Maybe that could help here...

Take care.

Last edited:
Hi I know this topic has been hashed about a thousand times but gonna ask again, I havent had my Phantom vision 2 for very long yet but just seen the new one the vision 3 that came out and really wanted to get it but just cant seem to justify the money spent on it, would like to get steadier shots and I guess the only way to do that is with a gimbal, been looking at the rotopixel gimbal but have read alot of horror stories so far about the

Squiddley,

To me the steadier shots after upgrading to the $91 china gimbal was well worth it. Had some minor issues, but nothing the guys and gals here on the board couldn't figure out.

It's a day and night difference. As to the higher landing gear, I opted for the PVC pipe ring solution to keep the fit into the case when not flying. May not be the prettiest modification, but it works very well.

I have not regretted the upgrade one second. Also this gimbal comes with a 12 month warranty. Let's hope I never need to make a claim...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic