Robin Williams

freefall101 said:
sidebox said:
I fail to see how this relates to quadcopters. 200,000 people die every day. It is unfortunate that he decide to kill himself. Yes, his older stuff was very funny, as well. I still see no correlation to quads.

I can't stand people like your kind, are you sure you're human or are you so obsessed with your quadcopter, technology, the computer, internet forums, etc that you've forgotten what being human is? Get a grip!

I came to phantom pilots forum to talk about all of the items you mentioned. There are plenty of other forums/reddit to discuss other issues.

sidebox said:
freefall101 said:
sidebox said:
I fail to see how this relates to quadcopters. 200,000 people die every day. It is unfortunate that he decide to kill himself. Yes, his older stuff was very funny, as well. I still see no correlation to quads.

I can't stand people like your kind, are you sure you're human or are you so obsessed with your quadcopter, technology, the computer, internet forums, etc that you've forgotten what being human is? Get a grip!

I came to phantom pilots forum to talk about all of the items you mentioned. There are plenty of other forums/reddit to discuss other issues.

I see what your point is, but it's not like the forum is cluttered full of news, sports, and the like. Surely every now and then when a guy like this decides to end his life, and I am sure 99% of the forum will at least recognise him, and the vast majority have more than likely watched several movies he starred in, then it's at least worthy of a mention. He played such a diverse range of characters and has made tens of millions of people across the world laugh, cry and has been an inspiration for many - although of course it is sad that now it seems his work masked the demons the guy himself faced. I know he struggled with alcohol and drugs, and your point on other forums and places for tributes/discussion being out there is true, but this is a truly sad story considering who the guy was and the smiles he has brought to many of us at least one point in our lives whether it was through his movie roles, stand up appearances, or a funny interview you might have seen. Maybe we can at least acknowledge this story on the forum. ;)

phantomi said:
discv said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Its general discussion and I cant think of any better place to talk about such a lovely talent man who has taken his own life from depression and suicide. It goes to show it doesnt matter how rich or funny you are it can creep up on anyone. If anyone of you guys ever get so low that you think its the only way out, please try reach out and talk to someone, suicide is forever, depression doesnt have to be. Take care guys.
Every decent member of this forum will endorse this view.

+1

+2

Okay... Due to the name of this topic, it's pretty damned obvious what it's about. If you only wish to discuss multi-rotor issues on this forum, then... I have absolutely no idea why you'd click on this topic.

I don't understand the contention I'm seeing here, I really don't.

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Okay... Due to the name of this topic, it's pretty damned obvious what it's about. If you only wish to discuss multi-rotor issues on this forum, then... I have absolutely no idea why you'd click on this topic.

I don't understand the contention I'm seeing here, I really don't.

-slinger
Well put. If this topic doesn't interest you then move along to one that does.

Reactions: dirkclod
phantomi said:
Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Its general discussion and I cant think of any better place to talk about such a lovely talent man who has taken his own life from depression and suicide. It goes to show it doesnt matter how rich or funny you are it can creep up on anyone. If anyone of you guys ever get so low that you think its the only way out, please try reach out and talk to someone, suicide is forever, depression doesnt have to be. Take care guys.
Every decent member of this forum will endorse this view.

+3

Some people on here show no humanity or compassion. It's sad that such a great comedian and actor ended his life because of the suffering he was experiencing in his private life. I had a bout of depression a few years ago, and it's one of the most debilitating and sometimes misunderstood conditions to go through, and without the support of friends and family, I'm not sure I would have come through it. Robin Williams had a big influence on me, he was certainly NO *****, and he will be sadly missed. It's good to be able to express this even on a forum about quadcopters.

To the moderators:
You might want to consider adding a forum for "Off Topic" subjects. I have seen this work well for other websites that became cluttered up with posts about things not related to the site purpose.

syotr said:
To the moderators:
You might want to consider adding a forum for "Off Topic" subjects. I have seen this work well for other websites that became cluttered up with posts about things not related to the site purpose.

Indeed, and we've seen the same need as the site has grown to current levels. Mods don't have the capability to create sections here (that's Adam's purview), but I believe we may very well be seeing an Off-Topic section before long.

Question, just to play devils advocate... how many of you who have responded to or read this thread would've even visited an "off-topic" forum?

I'm all for an "off-topic" style section/forum. As more and more join we're going to see more posts like this and the geography question post about cnn using incorrect graphics. I'm sure I'll participate in that forum as well, I definitely do want to see a separation, though.

I have to say out of all the celebrities that have died over the years Robin Williams death caused the most amount of stir on my FB page. I dont think there was even this reaction when Michael Jackson died.
(Although that might have something to do with me deleting anyone who posted anything about Michael Jackson ;) )

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
I have to say out of all the celebrities that have died over the years Robin Williams death caused the most amount of stir on my FB page. I dont think there was even this reaction when Michael Jackson died.
(Although that might have something to do with me deleting anyone who posted anything about Michael Jackson ;) )

so... I completely misread that... and said out loud to my wife "Holy ****, Michael Jordan died now!"... then I re-read...

No but Lauren Bacall reportedly died.
MSNBC’s Thomas Roberts is reporting on Twitter that actress Lauren Bacall has passed away at the age of 89. He cited a source connected to Bacall’s friends and family. TMZ confirmed the story 30 minutes later, saying a family member of Bacall’s confirmed to the site that she suffered a stroke Tuesday morning at her home.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Its general discussion and I cant think of any better place to talk about such a lovely talented man who has taken his own life from depression and suicide. It goes to show it doesnt matter how rich or funny you are it can creep up on anyone. If anyone of you guys ever get so low that you think its the only way out, please try reach out and talk to someone, suicide is forever, depression doesnt have to be. Take care guys.

I can think of many better places to talk about the death of a coke fiend... Yes, this is general discussion in relation to Phantoms... Not the recently departed.

sidebox said:
dirkclod said:
Not funny dude . He was a very funny man and helped a lot of homeless folks. Sad day and I hope nothing ever happens to you or yours like that :!:

Robin Williams wouldn't have been as uptight as you, and he wouldn't have resorted to personal attacks, as you have. Other people were able to give their opposing opinions regarding this view without resorting to personal attacks. Clearly, you are unable to. I'm not going to get into an argument with you over this. I'll just avoid your comments on this forum. I respect his work and will miss seeing it just as much as the next person, I simply do not see any other comments that relate to other topics on this forum, so it felt out of place here.
+1000

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattnn