RIP, Phantom 3A

Reaction score
My P3A met some asphalt after I was distracted while landing and clipped a tree branch. Expensive lesson learned!! What I've learned from this:

1. State Farm will have my business in the very near future for drone insurance.
2. The gimbal and camera design on the Phantom 3 series is very weak. Not only are they not protected, but that gimbal snapped off WAY too easily!
3. Don't let ANYthing distract you unless your safety is at risk!

Question:

1. What is the best way to protect the gimbal and camera? I'll be replacing it with a Phantom 3 Pro. Are gimbal protectors a gimmick or do they work?

Attachments

• IMG_20170520_135202.jpg
    IMG_20170520_135202.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 357
Sorry for your loss. I tried a gimbal protection bar a couple of times, but I wasn't convinced it'd be any use in the event of a collision and impact with the ground. However, I'm sure they'll be plenty of other pilots that'll give you positive reports.

hey i have the gimbal guard that attaches to the gimbal arm yes it works.as for the crappy gimbal guard the goes underneath well that will break too.plus adds 20gr of weight.

hey i have the gimbal guard that attaches to the gimbal arm yes it works.as for the crappy gimbal guard the goes underneath well that will break too.plus adds 20gr of weight.

Can you give me a link to what you have? I am interested in taking a look at it. Brand? Model? Website? Something? Thank you!

2. The gimbal and camera design on the Phantom 3 series is very weak. Not only are they not protected, but that gimbal snapped off WAY too easily!
There's no way around that. The gimbal has to be light weight to work as designed.
1. What is the best way to protect the gimbal and camera? I'll be replacing it with a Phantom 3 Pro.
It might sound silly but the most effective protection is to avoid crashing.
Develop a fear of trees and obstacles and don't fly close to them.

I fitted one of the plastic units to mine, its designed to capture the forward movement and stop the camera ripping off its arm

There's no way around that. The gimbal has to be light weight to work as designed.

It might sound silly but the most effective protection is to avoid crashing.
Develop a fear of trees and obstacles and don't fly close to them.

That's what always does... be very careful of your surroundings and try to do planning before flying your phantom.

The one I use will not break. It is pretty flexible. It has saved my gimbal a time or two. Well worth the $20.00.

Why wouldn't you be going for a P4? Much better all round apparently.

Agreed, that a P4 would be a great choice, all else being equal. However, when you have a friend that offers to sell you his nearly new P3P setup for $400, you go with a P3P. :)

Agreed, that a P4 would be a great choice, all else being equal. However, when you have a friend that offers to sell you his nearly new P3P setup for $400, you go with a P3P. :)
Agreed plus the P3P is still a strong machine and very capable to go far away. I am still thinking in upgrading my standard to the Advanced or Professional version. They are getting cheaper.

Agreed plus the P3P is still a strong machine and very capable to go far away. I am still thinking in upgrading my standard to the Advanced or Professional version. They are getting cheaper.

I started out with the Standard. Going to the Advanced was a HUGE difference!! I highly recommend it! The pro... unless you actually need the 4K camera, isn't probably worth it... but definitely upgrade to the Advanced if you are thinking about it. You won't regret it at all.

Reactions: macoman
I started out with the Standard. Going to the Advanced was a HUGE difference!! I highly recommend it! The pro... unless you actually need the 4K camera, isn't probably worth it... but definitely upgrade to the Advanced if you are thinking about it. You won't regret it at all.
Can't wait to do it soon!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie