RIP Flytrex Live

The Flytrex Live service died today.

I have one on my Phantom 2 as well as my Phantom 3 that I was still using.
Now they are bricks.

ec2583e704f4db15e950b3812879805d.jpg
I got the same song and dance. So now they want their customers to shell out even more money on a project that is still shaky at the very best. They must be kidding! Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me! Drone delivery might be possible, but practical application is probably years away. What could possibly go wrong there?

Isn't there a law in the US that part of the deal with doing business here is that support must be maintained for some number of years (the number 7 comes to mind)? I have several Live 3G's and sadly will now have to find another tracker to replace at least two of them. I also have a Trackimo but find it hard to rely on it because you can't quickly determine if it is even turned on much less working. The best possible setting has a one minute lag time and is terrible. I wouldn't call it a tracker, maybe locator might be a more appropriate description. I can live with the lag but not knowing for sure that it is actually working scares me a bit.

If anyone has a found a better solution I would love to hear it. There are so many new things being developed. I hope one of them is something similar to the Live (now dead) 3G.

Cheers,

John P.

Reactions: Brent10
What would you based the class action law suite on? You need to show defect or fraud against a group of people. I see no evidence that Flytrex did either.

Fytrec pivoted and pulled the plug for a product that probably was no longer generating enough income to warrant keep the service. It sucks for anyone who owns Flytrex hardware and Flytrex should have probably notified their users. That's not how you should handle the sunsetting of a service.

If there are enough Flytrex Live 3G users out there, you could get together and form a non-profit group to keep the service alive. The cost to run the service should be trivial. It's the support costs that Flytrex wanted to eliminate.

I have no idea how the Live 3G service works, but I'm assuming that the hardware sends a data packet to some server with the timestamp. location, and id of the drone. You would just need to control the DNS name that hardware is talking to. Perhaps that address can be even changed and you could run your own service. Worst case, it's hardcoded to something like "live3dlog.something.com". Then you just run a version of their code somewhere else, like AWS or Azure. Charge people a reasonable subscription to pay to keep the service running and open source the code. There's a fair amount of work to set this up, it would be easier to buy a different product.

I'm surely not a lawyer but I thought that part of doing business in the US involved a commitment to support products for so many years after production stops. Since they are still in business under the same name, wouldn't that appy?

Cheers,

John P.

I looked and looked and I finally settled on the Trackimo 3G, but only reluctantly. I haven't even tried it out yet. One good thing is you can hot-swap it between ACs, but that is about the only good thing. Some smart entrepreneur needs to come in and fill the gap left by hit-and-run Flytrex.

I looked and looked and I finally settled on the Trackimo 3G, but only reluctantly. I haven't even tried it out yet. One good thing is you can hot-swap it between ACs, but that is about the only good thing. Some smart entrepreneur needs to come in and fill the gap left by hit-and-run Flytrex.
I got the Trackimo pet tracker version so I could use it on the dog and the drone. The only difference is that it's round instead of rectangular.

I got the same song and dance. So now they want their customers to shell out even more money on a project that is still shaky at the very best. They must be kidding! Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me! Drone delivery might be possible, but practical application is probably years away. What could possibly go wrong there?

Isn't there a law in the US that part of the deal with doing business here is that support must be maintained for some number of years (the number 7 comes to mind)? I have several Live 3G's and sadly will now have to find another tracker to replace at least two of them. I also have a Trackimo but find it hard to rely on it because you can't quickly determine if it is even turned on much less working. The best possible setting has a one minute lag time and is terrible. I wouldn't call it a tracker, maybe locator might be a more appropriate description. I can live with the lag but not knowing for sure that it is actually working scares me a bit.

If anyone has a found a better solution I would love to hear it. There are so many new things being developed. I hope one of them is something similar to the Live (now dead) 3G.

Cheers,

John P.
To my knowledge, Flytrex is located in Israel. No sure how many U.S. laws would apply to an "out-of-country" business.

IMG_0837.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: culnara
Was Flytrex down again? anyone know if it is a temporary problem or they have deleted the website? there is another way to read .fpv file from Flytrex core 2?

I am currently working away from home, but yeah, I cannot connect to x.flytrex.com - think it's safe to assume the ******** have now deleted the site

Last edited by a moderator:
Hold the Bus, currently on my home PC and x.flytrex.com is indeed up and running

Good for the Core users. But they totally screwed the Live users.

Reactions: Brent10
Anybody know whats the status of this company / their services, are they up running and do they have the intention to continue doing so?

Also if i buy a second hand Flytrex 3G Live unit and its already registered to the previous owners account, can i register it to my account? If yes, how to do that?

By the way, can the Flytrex 3G live be used on the Phantom 4 ?

Last edited:
Don't waste your money M8, I don't think the fekers have any intention of getting the live up and running again, and that's a NO on the P4 they kinda stopped at the P3

Hi!, I know this is a old thread. But i bougth flytrax live 3g module with big pack of old drone parts. After reading this thread i know the module is a brick. So i open cover and figure, its very simple atmel328 chip and sim900 module, like arduino, so it is possible to write own firmware.
Anyone else interested in resurrecting this device?

I threw mine in the garbage a long time ago.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl