Revoking 336 Hobby Rules

There’s not many idiots in the UK flying drones which is good. I think it’s a bad idea revoking something as simple as low altitude airspace freedom. Common sense should prevail and revoking a rule won’t do jack apart from reduce the number of people who might want to get into the hobby. It’ll also keep the CAA approved or part 107 owners a market for their aerial media - perhaps that’s more of an issue?

Last time I checked, across the world we all now have to pass a driving test to gain a license. That does little to stop those who are hell bent on drink driving, driving while on their phone, drug driving, using vehicles for other illegal activities etc.

Perhaps the polices of the drone code should simply be penalty enforced? After all if you’re caught speeding, you pay a fine. Fly 50m from a crowded or public place, you get an on the spot fine. [emoji106]

There’s not many idiots in the UK flying drones which is good. I think it’s a bad idea revoking something as simple as low altitude airspace freedom. Common sense should prevail and revoking a rule won’t do jack apart from reduce the number of people who might want to get into the hobby. It’ll also keep the CAA approved or part 107 owners a market for their aerial media - perhaps that’s more of an issue?

Last time I checked, across the world we all now have to pass a driving test to gain a license. That does little to stop those who are hell bent on drink driving, driving while on their phone, drug driving, using vehicles for other illegal activities etc.

Perhaps the polices of the drone code should simply be penalty enforced? After all if you’re caught speeding, you pay a fine. Fly 50m from a crowded or public place, you get an on the spot fine. [emoji106]

Are you proposing that driving tests should be abolished?

I’m okay with it as long as I can fly above 400’. I’m sure there are other things I would want that only licensed pilots can currently do. Like delivering packages, lol.

I'm not sure I agree. In your vehicle license example it's two completely different classes of vehicle - hence the different licensing requirements. With UAVs the hobbyists and commercial users are flying the same aircraft.

First off I have no issues with revoking 336 and my comment is simply for dialog, not arguing. I "would" have to consider two tier licensing though. The fellow flying out to check on his cattle's feed rack or to see if John doe is really "setting out" shade trees instead of "setting under" them, should certainly share the same requirements as the commercial pilot regarding rules, regs, safety and knowledge of air space. However does he really need to know the ins and outs of commercial or for hire rules? The other thing would be pricing. Would the farmer, hobbyist have to pay the $150 a pop? I think the $150 a pop price may keep some really safety conscious, educated operators who could add to the hobby out of the game. Thinking now the price of licensing could be the hardest issue to overcome.

Reactions: PhantomHero
First off I have no issues with revoking 336 and my comment is simply for dialog, not arguing. I "would" have to consider two tier licensing though. The fellow flying out to check on his cattle's feed rack or to see if John doe is really "setting out" shade trees instead of "setting under" them, should certainly share the same requirements as the commercial pilot regarding rules, regs, safety and knowledge of air space. However does he really need to know the ins and outs of commercial or for hire rules? The other thing would be pricing. Would the farmer, hobbyist have to pay the $150 a pop? I think the $150 a pop price may keep some really safety conscious, educated operators who could add to the hobby out of the game. Thinking now the price of licensing could be the hardest issue to overcome.

Perhaps. But Part 107 contains nothing specifically about commercial operations. It's entirely flight safety, which is arguably directly applicable to anyone venturing into the NAS.

Agreed. But going back to the other poster's analogy about driving our vehicles. Everyone has to pass the written and driving part. We all drive on the same highways (airspace). But all drivers don't need to know all the ICC/FHC requirements. I would also agree that whatever new licensing/registering that evolves should require some sort of retest or evaluation on renewing. With todays technology and advanced UAV capabilities it's going to get crowded and heated.
I'm not a Litchi user but that form of flying (well out of VLOS) mnay also take a beating.
Me thinks sar104 is right- I too can hear those screams of horror and outrage.

Reactions: Hounddog
I just got an email from the AMA. Seems the 336 will affect all RC aircraft even at their flying fields. No more community based rules like night flying at some AMA fields, etc. if enacted. Some of their fields are close to airports too, under the 5 mile radius.

Friday, April 13, 2018

Dear members,

We need your help.

There is talk that the next reauthorization bill for the Federal Aviation Administration will eliminate the Special Rule for Model Aircraft – also known as Section 336 – which has allowed AMA to manage our members and fly safely and responsibly, as we have for over 80 years. Losing the Special Rule would be a devastating blow to our hobby.

Please send a letter to your elected representatives in support of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.

This is a critical moment to let your elected representatives know the importance of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and the role of community-based organizations such as AMA.

Our community has operated safely for decades – long before the recent advent of drones. Model aviation has played a critical role in the innovations of new technology and encouraging young people to pursue an interest in science and technology fields. More than that, this long-standing hobby has been passed down from generation to generation and is a tradition for many American families.

We need your help to demonstrate the value of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft not only for our community, but everyone. Please make your voices heard by contacting your elected representatives today.

Sincerely,
AMA Government Relations

P.S. When you've finished sending the letter, you will also have an opportunity to call your representatives. We encourage you to take the time for this as well. Thank you.

This email was sent by: Academy of Model Aeronautics
5161 E. Memorial Dr. Muncie, IN 47302 USA

I’d sooner see DJI to lock beginner mode until X amount of flights or until you score a 90 or better on that lil quiz of theirs. Maybe both. Have a pre set number of flights say 25without crashes then unlock the quiz. And with a score of 90 or better you unlock normal mode (no flight plan, no atti, no follow me, no POI) until 50 crash free flights then every option will now be unlocked.

Any thoughts ??
That would get hacked so fast.

This means millions of dollars for the AMA. Too bad that there are enough morons hiding behind their rules to bring them to this point. And also too bad that the AMA just used drones as a money grab, by making it look like you had to be a member to fly 336. Greed.

I believe you speak for yourself exclusively or other individuals you know?

I never believed I needed to be an AMA member to enjoy Congress’ special rule(s).

Can you cite any stats to support your claim(s)?

I believe you speak for yourself exclusively or other individuals you know?

I never believed I needed to be an AMA member to enjoy Congress’ special rule(s).

Can you cite any stats to support your claim(s)?
Good for you, you pay attention more than many others. I only need to site the increase in income revenue in the past 3 years for memberships.

This means millions of dollars for the AMA. Too bad that there are enough morons hiding behind their rules to bring them to this point. And also too bad that the AMA just used drones as a money grab, by making it look like you had to be a member to fly 336. Greed.
The AMA is the sole voice of the hobbyist that the government listens too. Without them we would have less than we have now. You better hope their influence helps to keep the 336 alive. I have no problem sending them my dues every year as aside from them fighting for me I also enjoy the insurance coverage.

The AMA is the sole voice of the hobbyist that the government listens too. Without them we would have less than we have now. You better hope their influence helps to keep the 336 alive. I have no problem sending them my dues every year as aside from them fighting for me I also enjoy the insurance coverage.
I am glad that you are happy with the AMA, and consider them a valuable asset to the hobby. My experience with their clubs tells me that their membership is against drones.

I am glad that you are happy with the AMA, and consider them a valuable asset to the hobby. My experience with their clubs tells me that their membership is against drones.
There is some resistance, but that is fading away as they see we are all in the same boat. I honestly don't blame them as they came up the hard way in the hobby, when you built your aircraft and fought for airfields to use and then one day anyone with a few bucks in their pocket could just pop a box open and they’re flying hands-free any & everywhere, then the public starts calling for regulation overnight. So it has taken some time for them to warm up to the idea of multi-rotors.

There is some resistance, but that is fading away as they see we are all in the same boat. I honestly don't blame them as they came up the hard way in the hobby, when you built your aircraft and fought for airfields to use and then one day anyone with a few bucks in their pocket could just pop a box open and their flying hands-free any & everywhere, then the public starts calling for regulation overnight. So it has taken some time for them to warm up to the idea of multi-rotors.
So you do recognize the fact that they do not accept us. And we can all recognize the fact that drone drivers don't want to go to a AMA field and fly around in a half circle over their landing strip, with a AMA instructor attached to their hip. So lets just go our separate ways, with the AMA doing what they have always done and admit they want nothing to do with drones or drone drivers. The sooner the AMA admits they don't want us (or our money) to be part of THEIR club, the better of we will all be.
The AMA has been wonderful for the hobby of model aircraft. Drones are not a model of any aircraft. They are a new form of aircraft and are not part of the 'fly in a circle' mentality of the AMA. We do not fit into the AMA mold, and the AMA mold is not going to change (nor should it). Model aviation should stay with the AMA, and drones should be regulated by FAA aviation rules.

So you do recognize the fact that they do not accept us. And we can all recognize the fact that drone drivers don't want to go to a AMA field and fly around in a half circle over their landing strip, with a AMA instructor attached to their hip. So lets just go our separate ways, with the AMA doing what they have always done and admit they want nothing to do with drones or drone drivers. The sooner the AMA admits they don't want us (or our money) to be part of THEIR club, the better of we will all be.
The AMA has been wonderful for the hobby of model aircraft. Drones are not a model of any aircraft. They are a new form of aircraft and are not part of the 'fly in a circle' mentality of the AMA. We do not fit into the AMA mold, and the AMA mold is not going to change (nor should it). Model aviation should stay with the AMA, and drones should be regulated by FAA aviation rules.
Then maybe somebody should start a drone Association of some type. Sounds like plenty of people would be on board with that. And yes I have seen the negativity towards drone flyers from the AMA but yet keep my membership there. Again the insurance part is a plus. Most likely and hopefully I will never need to consider using that. But we do need some voice out there representing drones and their pilots to the government.
So the other point that I'm not seeing represented too much here is the difference in the types of drones out there. The fpv racing drones and the aerial photography type drones are totally two different classes without a doubt. So I believe some of these rules should be divided accordingly for these different types. I can see how they want to control the aerial photography drones like the DJI line that have all this built-in intelligence that makes them a safer craft to begin with but nothing Stops all these other ones from being controlled.

Then maybe somebody should start a drone Association of some type. Sounds like plenty of people would be on board with that. And yes I have seen the negativity towards drone flyers from the AMA but yet keep my membership there. Again the insurance part is a plus. Most likely and hopefully I will never need to consider using that. But we do need some voice out there representing drones and their pilots to the government.
So the other point that I'm not seeing represented too much here is the difference in the types of drones out there. The fpv racing drones and the aerial photography type drones are totally two different classes without a doubt. So I believe some of these rules should be divided accordingly for these different types. I can see how they want to control the aerial photography drones like the DJI line that have all this built-in intelligence that makes them a safer craft to begin with but nothing Stops all these other ones from being controlled.

You may have seen negativity from other flyers but from the AMA proper?

This article seems to be on conflict with your statement....

AMA Asks Public “Not to Jump to Conclusions” About Helicopter Crash

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94