Revoking 336 Hobby Rules

Not sure how they plan to identify drones or cost for the drone owners to comply for tracking but most is just common sense there really should be some way to make sure the new drone operator knows what to do & what not to do for safety sake's

Many of us have seen the "Writing on the wall" for 336 for a good while now. It was a mistake to begin with and that mistake needs correcting... YESTERDAY!

I fail to understand how any of this would prevent terrorist attacks with drones or prevent some moron from building his own sUAS and flying it recklessly.

I fail to understand how any of this would prevent terrorist attacks with drones or prevent some moron from building his own sUAS and flying it recklessly.

It wouldn't. Nor would it prevent paper cuts. It would reduce the number of uneducated and reckless hobby flights, which would be its actual intent.

Reactions: V tail and BigAl07

Last time I checked terrorists don't follow any laws/rules so this has nothing to do with them what so ever.

There is no way to stop everyone from breaking laws but this can help EDUCATE and create some degree of accountability for those who chose to play in this arena. It won't do anything to "stop" someone who is intent on breaking the law but it would remove the silly "Hobby Loophole" for those who don't know any better or who simply want to "skirt around the system".

If you want to be a big boy and play in the big boy sandbox then you need to step up and abide by some big boy rules.

Right now the hobbyist gets a "Free Pass" on most of the laws which are there to help increase safety in the NAS. There is no reason for a hobbyist to get less rules/regulations than a Commercial Operator who is operating the same aircraft in the same airspace. The mere idea of that is completely illogical.

@Cellblock776 you have your Part 107 so you should fully understand why it's illogical for someone without any training/education/testing should have more flight freedoms than you do if flying in the exact same manner/space.

I would have been strongly against this a in the past, but after joining these drone pilot forums, I am strongly in favor of it.
The total disregard for safe flying practices expressed by members of these forums tells me that there are way too many idiots with drones in this country.

I would have been strongly against this a in the past, but after joining these drone pilot forums, I am strongly in favor of it.
The total disregard for safe flying practices expressed by members of these forums tells me that there are way too many idiots with drones in this country.

I've been fortunate to be able to travel to many places in the US to teach & fly "sUAS" operations and I can tell you without a doubt that the forums are only a small "sliver" of whats happening in the real world right now. Keep in mind that most people "originally" come here (or any other forums) looking for help with a problem and fortunately many stay and contribute. Think about all the people that "Buy & Fly" that have no desire to get on the forums to learn more, share more, or interact with like-minded others.

But you're exactly right. It's mind numbing to see such a disregard for safe practices across the board which only solidifies, IMHO the need for more regulation even if that adds some hurdles to those of us trying to do everything by the book.

I agree with being a safe and responsible pilot. I believe that common sense should be every pilots first obligation. As long as they don’t try to exploit it for monetary purposes then it should be a good idea. The problem is, what are they going to deem fit as a knowledgeable pilot? What’s the cost incurred ? If they decide it’s a $250 licensing fee will everyone still be on board? Will it need to be renewed every year, two , four?
There has to be more information given before I’m willing to jump on the license bandwagon.
Offer training for free, free licensing if it truly IS in the interest of safety alone.

Reactions: ba9780m1
The problem is that we have the marvelous electronic ability called FPV, and if we fully exercise the ability that is not only literally in the palm of our hands, but exceedingly pleasurable, we are breaking some serious laws.
If certified collision avoidance had been invented before FPV was, we would be flying all over the place, but that is not the case. We have FPV now, and certified collision avoidance is still maybe 3 years out, according to what I have been reading.
FPV is going to get used, and my concern is that there won't be enough pilots who exercise good judgment in picking the time and the place to exercise that.
In general, the technology is way out in front of our ability to control it. It's like having a "muscle car" in a 25 mph speed zone.
I will follow the rules and wait. I will enjoy my time in the middle of nowhere to some extent, but I will fly safe.

I’d sooner see DJI to lock beginner mode until X amount of flights or until you score a 90 or better on that lil quiz of theirs. Maybe both. Have a pre set number of flights say 25without crashes then unlock the quiz. And with a score of 90 or better you unlock normal mode (no flight plan, no atti, no follow me, no POI) until 50 crash free flights then every option will now be unlocked.

Any thoughts ??

I’d sooner see DJI to lock beginner mode until X amount of flights or until you score a 90 or better on that lil quiz of theirs. Maybe both. Have a pre set number of flights say 25without crashes then unlock the quiz. And with a score of 90 or better you unlock normal mode (no flight plan, no atti, no follow me, no POI) until 50 crash free flights then every option will now be unlocked.

Any thoughts ??

Thoughts? Yes - I think I hear screams of horror and outrage.

Reactions: WetDog

Any thoughts ??

This whole sUAS problem is so much larger than a "DJI" issue so the mere notion of the vendor deciding if you're "Legal" or not is a bit worrisome at least to me.

This whole sUAS problem is so much larger than a "DJI" issue so the mere notion of the vendor deciding if you're "Legal" or not is a bit worrisome at least to me.

I tend to agree. I don’t think DJI wants to get into the legalities and parameters of who is ‘qualified’ and who is not, based on a scoring system. Way too much gray area that would open them up to legal liabilities. Especially if it seemed like they were ‘certifying’ the drone operators that have passed their ‘test’.

Reactions: BigAl07
I totally agree that DJI Isn’t the end all be all of drone certification but this would be a way to get beginner pilots some experience before unleashing the full potential of the drones that everyone seems worried about. My concern is giving the authority to deem who is “safe” to fly over to someone who has only a profit to be gained.
This should not be a pay to play hobby. Unless you’re entering into an arena that you need to qualify for such as in a profitable setting.
You can’t drive a tractor trailer until you acquire a CDL but you can operate a vehicle with a class A license. These are two different standards for completely different operations. Just because someone can get a license doesn’t make them a safer driver OR pilot.
I’m just saying that there has to be a different standard for hobbyists vs. their professional counterpart.

Reactions: eeire54 and oconnb
I’m just saying that there has to be a different standard for hobbyists vs. their professional counterpart.

I'm not sure I agree. In your vehicle license example it's two completely different classes of vehicle - hence the different licensing requirements. With UAVs the hobbyists and commercial users are flying the same aircraft.

It might prevent a lot of the people that get these under there Christmas tree, and after barley reading the quick start guide, run outside to fly them without even knowing a what air space their in. Then they stand there as the drone flys away.

Maybe knowing that they have to have a license, will keep them from getting the drone for Christmas in the first place.

I see some very immature drone flying on youtube by some of the Father's Day drone owners. Everything from spying on their neighbors to trying to send there drone up carrying a bag of rocks.

Reactions: Hounddog
I live in very rural America. So when I got my first Phantom, I took off from my yard and practiced. When I crashed, I searched the internet for parts and made the repairs to get it flying again. Then I got the Vision. Finally the P3P.

I was always careful to ensure I was not bothering anyone, not interfering with manned flights and not hovering over neighbors (closest is half mile away).

Once again, because of the actions of the few. How many of these machines (various manufacturers) are out there and how many are actually recklessly flown? They want to punish the mass, which is pretty much made up of law abiding citizens trying to do the right thing while doing something they enjoy.

There must be a way to catch those few who destroy the hobby for all, but without restricting the majority of owners who are responsible in their hobby flying.

It's all these Goofy rules that only hurt pilots who fly correct, the idiots are totally unaffected by any guidelines, why should they - do you think Walmart or Best Buy is going to instruct them on how to fly safely.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl