Revived gimbal after water submersion!

Reaction score
My Vision+ took it's fourth plunge into the drink at the lake I boat at. The prior three occasions the quad came back 100%, with the exception of ruining one battery. Since then I coat whatever electronic circuits I can get to with CorrosionX. This past dunking I had a problem with the gimbal. This is after a three day dryout in a bag of rice. It's worked for me this far, so I continue to use this drying method. So, what happened this time is the gimbal was acting erratically, and although it somewhat responded to my input as far as tilting, it would do so very erratically. It would likely not be useable for video with it in this condition. I reached for the DeoxIT spray and thought I give it a shot, literally. I sprayed the motors, and I also took off a plate (the one held on by three screws) and coated the pot located in that piece. Guess what, it came back 100%.

So, before you throw in the towel and order a new $700.00 gimbal/camera after a dunking, give the DeoxIT (or similar) a try. I suppose the old "tuner spray" will work also.

Whew, dodged an expensive bullet this time. I think I'll go back to v3.04 so I don't get into trouble descending too fast, which is what caused this crash.

BTW, I have floatation on my Vision+, so it never goes below the surface. It usually sits upside down, for a few minutes at most, till I can get to it. I believe the reason it has come back to life 4 times, is that it hasn't be subjected to the high pressure incurred below the surface, which is worse the deeper it goes. That, plus the fact that it's a freshwater submersion. A lot more forgiving than saltwater.

UPDATE 7/28/14: Well, it took another dive in the drink this past weekend, due to a bad ESC, and I wasn't so lucky this time. I'm getting the erratic gimbal, with "remove gimbal clamp" error, and it doesn't respond to up-down commands in the app. I'm giving it another few days drying out, but this time it looks pretty bad. DeoxIT did not work this time.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl