Restricted Geo Zones

Reaction score
I'm trying to fly my Phantom 3 Advanced out in the country and there's a prison nearby. Its been a few years since I've flown but I stopped because after doing a database update it wouldn't let me fly it. The current restriction is a pretty large radius, but when trying to fly a Mavic 2, the restriction is just the perimeter of the prison. Does anyone know why the restriction would be larger for one drone and not the other? Is there any way to downgrade the fly safe database, or what can I do?

Attachments

• Mavic 2.png
    Mavic 2.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 192
  • P3A.png
    P3A.png
    782.3 KB · Views: 191
Remember that, as a pilot, you are responsible for knowing where you can fly, and where you can't.
It doesn't matter if the NFZ system draws a rectangle, or circle, or santa on the map; it is irrelevant in regard to your obligations as a pilot.

And if you know your responsibilities and still want to disable NFZ - I don't think you can unlock a zone like in Mavic 2, so your only option is hacking the software. But this forum rules forbid discussing that, so you'll have to find a different community for details.

Install litchi app,not free but might let you fly,I've never had a cant let me fly and I stayed updated but in flight this hill I flew up ,once I reached the top it hit a wall almost and told me to RTH but that was with djigo4,,any other time I have to acept flight but not had a cant take off before,,,that's one thing I've noticed with using dji, it's a bit inconsistent but normally steady,,,we all seem to have different prompts and bells and whistles even though we use the same platform, and or the same drone

If other apps say different, it doesn’t matter. That’s DJI for you. It’s programmed that way, it stays that way.
You probably haven’t had any newer updates, so that was how it was originally put in. Your mavic is probably more correct.

If there's one thing they are paranoid about here in the UK it's drones flying anywhere near a prison. There have been so many incidents of things being "delivered" that they actually have nets to prevent drones getting anywhere near.
Why do you feel you have to fly there in the first place?
Just stick to the rules and we'll all be allowed to continue our hobby.

If there's one thing they are paranoid about here in the UK it's drones flying anywhere near a prison. There have been so many incidents of things being "delivered" that they actually have nets to prevent drones getting anywhere near.
Well, it is in a very remote location and I own property that borders it. The drone helps me see places I can’t otherwise get to and unfortunately the NFZ covers half of my property.

His comments were, why the discrepancy. He was sticking to the rules.

The difference is due to the installed version of FW.
Those numerous updates are mostly because of adding a new NFZ. The more updates you are doing the free zones you'll have.
But of course this is for safety purposes and it's up to you should you obey it or not. And if not you are completely responsible for the consequences which might follow.

The difference is due to the installed version of FW.
Those numerous updates are mostly because of adding a new NFZ. The more updates you are doing the free zones you'll have.
But of course this is for safety purposes and it's up to you should you obey it or not. And if not you are completely responsible for the consequences which might follow.
Unfortunately they stopped making FW updates for the P3A. And Apparently stopped updating the Fly Safe databases as well.

Is there some way one can view the NFZ map? I'm also a P3A pilot running the latest updates (I think).
IMG_8725.JPG

I just found this site. Don't know how up to date it is or whether it updates when an "event" is being held requiring restrictions.

Last edited:
Unfortunately they stopped making FW updates for the P3A. And Apparently stopped updating the Fly Safe databases as well.
They'll probably do one if it gets a bug of sorts or if they have to add something to do with the remote I'd when it comes into play,otherwise pretty stable if no firmware out yet,,probably wont be far off saying that,,app updates keep it up 2 date,or new fly safe database ,firmware bit different

They'll probably do one if it gets a bug of sorts or if they have to add something to do with the remote I'd when it comes into play,otherwise pretty stable if no firmware out yet,,probably wont be far off saying that,,app updates keep it up 2 date,or new fly safe database ,firmware bit different
I doubt it. Last update was July 2017.

The firmware is the restriction. There are no updates on older drones. There are good updated apps to show NFZ. What difference does it make, DJI has you limited.

Here are two screen dumps of DJI restrictions over the South of England.
Besides being different there are inaccuracies on both version, i.e. runway extentions that do not exist.
It has nothing to do with safety, If you want safety, study the official CAA charts they are the law.
It is because up to the introduction of the Phantom 4 DJI could not track your movements and record your date for their profit. So Phantom 3 owners have to abide by different proceedures so that DJI know what you are doing.
Also included is the reading prison which has not been a prison for 20 years but you cannot even unlock or take off there.

SOUTH ENGLAND FOR PP3 OWNERS
Geo Map EWZ for P3P.jpg

SAME AREA FOR PP4 OWNERS
Geo Map EWZ for P4.jpg

READING PRISON ? (DMF10e should think himself lucky at least his prison exists)
Reading Prison.jpg

Only one way to achieve sanity is to abandon DJI and buy a Parrot Afini / Yunnec / Anything.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if U.S. companies took every DJI product and reverse engineered them...then sold them cheaper than the DJI bandits? Let 'em know how pirating feels for a change. The Chinese are eating our lunch on AI technology, too, and our snoozing is going to cost us more than we realize and sooner than we think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan