Residential WiFi - Power Lines - Cell Tower Causing Interference Issues?

Reaction score
So I did a WiFi scan of my neighborhood where I fly. From my driveway, I can pick up 8 different WiFi signals. In addition, about 100 feet directly behind the home are above ground power lines. About 750 feet to my north there is a stealth cell tower. I am constantly getting the "strong interference" box flashing on my screen while flying. Dumb question I am sure, but I would suppose this is why I get the constant messages? Anybody else in a similar situation?

You answered your own question I think. :D

Yes, WiFi will cause interference. Cell towers per-se wouldn't, but it's not uncommon to have equipment running in the WiFi bands co-located on them.

Imagine it like this. Your friend is on the other side of a very large room. Only you and your friend are in the room. You say something to him, he hears you just fine (strong signal). Now, 10 people walk into that room. They are all yapping. Your friend can "sort of" hear you, but he has to keep saying "what?" and you have to repeat yourself, but he can still understand you (weak signal). Now 100 people step into that room. ALL of them are having conversations. Your friend on the other side of the room cannot hear a word you said no matter how many times you repeat (complete signal loss).

The only thing that fixes this is a megaphone, so that you can be heard over everyone else. (Amps and/or larger antennas).

I think its best to keep your phone/tablet in airplane mode. This turns off your wifi.
Not a great idea on a Standard. It uses Wi Fi. Otherwise, yep.

I take off from my back yard & the are main power transmission lines there & a Cell Phone Tower, I fly around them often , no issues except that warning , I have gotten that warning since a couple of updates ago, I upgraded my Antenna's & have less , but still get the warning flying over my Neighborhood , I just don't pay attention to it any more .

Reactions: dodoftwogirls
If you are using iOS that is your major cause of warnings, I live very rural and can't tell you how many per flight I get I don't remember where but I read it's a conflict in the app and iOS every time I read some one asking about warnings I've asked iOS? Yes every time so I tend to ignore mine and pray I don't have a little boy calling wolf story to tell someday.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72