Replacing Phantom 1 motor

P

Pippin

Need to replace a jittery motor on a Phantom 1. Are all four motors the same? I know the self-winding props are in two different directions. All the DJI Phantom dealers sell a motor for $24.00-35.00, but they don't distinguish whether they are for a black or silver-tipped propeller.

I've removed the motor hoping that by replacing it, it will solve the problem. The problem occurred when I landed the Phantom, and it tipped over onto an asphalt surface, and the propeller stopped moving. I ordered a new motor from B&H Photo which should arrive tomorrow. I just hope it's the right motor if the motors are different.

Pippin said:
Need to replace a jittery motor on a Phantom 1. Are all four motors the same? I know the self-winding props are in two different directions. All the DJI Phantom dealers sell a motor for $24.00-35.00, but they don't distinguish whether they are for a black or silver-tipped propeller.
If you have the original Phantom with the nuts separate from the props then all of the motors are the same. They each have a right hand thread. You change the direction of rotation by swaping two of the three wires. The later Phantom versions that have the self tightening props have the nut made as part of the prop and two of the four motors have left handed threads.
If you are going to replace a motor on the original Phantom, you might consider getting two with the left hand thread so that you can use the self tightening props.

Thanks for everyone's help. I have the Phantom 1 with the self-tightening props. I just looked at a video on another forum where they showed how you switch the yellow and red wires on the ESC depending on which way the motor spins. I think I'm all set now assuming the motor was faulty and not the ESC. I've had nothing but a good experience with the Phantom 1 since its purchase in
October. I'm waiting for a P2 pro installation with Zenmuse gimbal and FPV so this Phantom 1 be a spare quadcopter in the future.

When I first got my v1.1.1 and I didn't know about the left handed threads, I snapped the motor shaft off tring to get the nut loose. I replaced the motor. Lesson learned. Anyone using Anti-gravity T-motors? I got a set, but I haven't put them on yet. They don't use the self tightening threads, so I'd have to switch props

syotr said:
Pippin said:
If you have the original Phantom with the nuts separate from the props then all of the motors are the same. They each have a right hand thread.

A number of the pre-P2 Phantoms were sold with separate nuts on the cross-threaded motors (2x CW, 2x CCW), before they started shipping with the self-tightening props. Those Phantoms came with 2 black nuts and 2 silver nuts, just like the self-tightening props.

rstekeur said:
When I first got my v1.1.1 and I didn't know about the left handed threads, I snapped the motor shaft off tring to get the nut loose. I replaced the motor. Lesson learned. Anyone using Anti-gravity T-motors? I got a set, but I haven't put them on yet. They don't use the self tightening threads, so I'd have to switch props

I'm using the T-motors and they work just fine with both the 8" and 9" self-tightening props.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20