Removing Prop Guards

This video helped me:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's because you are using standard, DJI prop guards. I'm not, and they are entirely different. Take a look at the photos in this thread and you will readily see the difference. My prop guards have no clip on them and it is not necessary to remove the little, clear plastic piece on the end of each drone leg. However, I think the standard DJI prop guards are better, because they appear to be much easier to install and remove, once you get rid of the little, clear plastic piece.

Question: Once you pull that clear plastic piece out of there, does it STAY out, or must you put it back if you intend to fly with the prop guards removed?

Reactions: Bleederboy
You can save the 4 clear plastic piece's and re-install it if you wish but you do not have to. The drone doesn't need them.

Reactions: pdmike
You can save the 4 clear plastic piece's and re-install it if you wish but you do not have to. The drone doesn't need them.
I wonder what purpose they serve, then? Anyway, thanks. Based on this, I think I might get a set of genuine DJI prop guards as they are clearly easier to install and remove than what I have now.

May I suggest that instead of using something to pry the 4 clear plastic place holders up, that you push up from the bottom, as the DJI instructional video shows. To make it easier, use a popsicle stick on the bottom side of the clear plastic, pushing on the popsicle stick with your thumbs.

Adorama sells the DJI P4 prop guards for $19 on ebay, other vendors have them as well.

Holy ****! NOBODY should have to go through something like that. I got one of 'em off and will be working on the other three as the evening wears on.

Needless to say, these guards go into the trash and I will be ordering GENUINE DJI prop guards. Are they easy to remove once you get them on?

And THANKS, man - you really did me a solid here!
So I know I'm a couple years late on this thread but I found myself in the exact same shoes as you and feel like an idiot for purchasing these. If you don't mind and you can remember how you managed to get them off without breaking your drone in half any information would be greatly appreciated. That is if you're still not working on getting them off to this day lol. Thx

Holy ****! NOBODY should have to go through something like that. I got one of 'em off and will be working on the other three as the evening wears on.

Needless to say, these guards go into the trash and I will be ordering GENUINE DJI prop guards. Are they easy to remove once you get them on?

I honestly wouldn't use prop guards at all. I can't see any use for them unless you gently bump walls a lot. They won't help much in a real crash, and if you hit a tree, they will actually work against you and hook your drone up there making it stupid hard to get back. I personally think they are completely useless.

I now feel a little stupid, just realized this thread is from 2017, but I think my advice might help someone eventually.

I honestly wouldn't use prop guards at all. I can't see any use for them unless you gently bump walls a lot. They won't help much in a real crash, and if you hit a tree, they will actually work against you and hook your drone up there making it stupid hard to get back. I personally think they are completely useless.

I now feel a little stupid, just realized this thread is from 2017, but I think my advice might help someone eventually.
Well I used em cause I was flying 8.5 miles away so obviously if I'm gonna wreck I'm gonna wreck just figured I'd do the least amount of damage as necessary to whoever or whatever decided to get in my way. Only reason I took them off is because even though they're thin they still act like sails in the wind when the wind picks up just a little bit. And now you know. And knowing is half the battle..

THE MORE YOU KNOW?...

Well I used em cause I was flying 8.5 miles away so obviously if I'm gonna wreck I'm gonna wreck just figured I'd do the least amount of damage as necessary to whoever or whatever decided to get in my way. Only reason I took them off is because even though they're thin they still act like sails in the wind when the wind picks up just a little bit. And now you know. And knowing is half the battle..

THE MORE YOU KNOW[emoji293]...
Well, flying 8 miles away is illegal because it is definitely beyond vlos. The fact that you say you need prop guards because you'll hit things because you can't see them is why the vlos law is in place.

Well, flying 8 miles away is illegal because it is definitely beyond vlos. The fact that you say you need prop guards because you'll hit things because you can't see them is why the vlos law is in place.
Look kid, when you are old enough to be able to buy smokes I'll heed to your word and pretend like ..yeah yep your right what am I even talking about I mean I must be new to all this forgive my noobness..?..one day when your old enough to be able to work you'll understand some drones are more than toys and actually do work and thems just the chances your gonna have to take..I fly out of my own eye site every single time..3000 ft up then out up to 10 miles at most. That's not a joke , ?⛪hand to God. Next time before you come in swinging listen to yourself see what it sounds like to everyone else. You say gaurds are for idiots because you say they're useless but at the same time try to also tell me I'm the reason laws are in place.....YOUR THE ONE TAKING SOMEONES EYE OR PET OUT CAUSE YOUR CARBON BLADES CAN AND WILL DO PERMANENT DAMAGE. I've been flying for almost a decade, have a fpvlr 3watt boosted setup that's MADE AND DESIGNED FOR THAT DISTANCE but you say I'm the reason there's a law..HOW? I don't make the product? I don't wreck? I use propgaurds to BE SAFE ..but I guess I could be the cool guy and fly literally by wire 2 ft up 1 ft out just so I can be a Daredevil and throw caution to the world....NAY...NAY DO I USE PROP GAURDS NAYYYY!! ....so now you know..AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE

THE MORE YOU KNOW ?.....

Weston, you are exactly right about everything you said - prop guards not being effective in a real crash, getting hooked in treetops, and keeping your drone within VLOS being the law in the United States.

Pay no attention to the naysayers and carry on as you were.

Oh... and DON'T BUY ANY 'SMOKES' LOL
(nasty.habit)

Look kid, when you are old enough to be able to buy smokes I'll heed to your word and pretend like ..yeah yep your right what am I even talking about I mean I must be new to all this forgive my noobness..[emoji52]..one day when your old enough to be able to work you'll understand some drones are more than toys and actually do work and thems just the chances your gonna have to take..I fly out of my own eye site every single time..3000 ft up then out up to 10 miles at most. That's not a joke , [emoji1672][emoji547]hand to God. Next time before you come in swinging listen to yourself see what it sounds like to everyone else. You say gaurds are for idiots because you say they're useless but at the same time try to also tell me I'm the reason laws are in place.....YOUR THE ONE TAKING SOMEONES EYE OR PET OUT CAUSE YOUR CARBON BLADES CAN AND WILL DO PERMANENT DAMAGE. I've been flying for almost a decade, have a fpvlr 3watt boosted setup that's MADE AND DESIGNED FOR THAT DISTANCE but you say I'm the reason there's a law..HOW? I don't make the product? I don't wreck? I use propgaurds to BE SAFE ..but I guess I could be the cool guy and fly literally by wire 2 ft up 1 ft out just so I can be a Daredevil and throw caution to the world....NAY...NAY DO I USE PROP GAURDS NAYYYY!! ....so now you know..AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE

THE MORE YOU KNOW [emoji293].....
Unfortunately, your "noobness" continues...

I will NOT be buying smokes EVER thank you very much,

Prop guards won't really keep you from taking out someone's eye.

Flying 3000 feet up is COMPLETELY illegal. (I sincerely hope you are joking on this one.)

BTW, I don't buy smokes, but I do work. I have had a job since I was 16, doing painting, remodeling and roof cleaning. Your presuppositions of me are false.

The more you know. [emoji6]

Last edited:
Reactions: Shoot4fun
YOUR THE ONE TAKING SOMEONES EYE OR PET OUT CAUSE YOUR CARBON BLADES CAN AND WILL DO PERMANENT DAMAGE.

I'm the one? I thought you said you took yours off because they were sails in the wind. So now we are both taking out eyes on a daily basis?

The more you know...

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Look kid, when you are old enough to be able to buy smokes I'll heed to your word and pretend like ..yeah yep your right what am I even talking about I mean I must be new to all this forgive my noobness..[emoji52]..one day when your old enough to be able to work you'll understand some drones are more than toys and actually do work and thems just the chances your gonna have to take..I fly out of my own eye site every single time..3000 ft up then out up to 10 miles at most. That's not a joke , ?[emoji547]hand to God. Next time before you come in swinging listen to yourself see what it sounds like to everyone else. You say gaurds are for idiots because you say they're useless but at the same time try to also tell me I'm the reason laws are in place.....YOUR THE ONE TAKING SOMEONES EYE OR PET OUT CAUSE YOUR CARBON BLADES CAN AND WILL DO PERMANENT DAMAGE. I've been flying for almost a decade, have a fpvlr 3watt boosted setup that's MADE AND DESIGNED FOR THAT DISTANCE but you say I'm the reason there's a law..HOW? I don't make the product? I don't wreck? I use propgaurds to BE SAFE ..but I guess I could be the cool guy and fly literally by wire 2 ft up 1 ft out just so I can be a Daredevil and throw caution to the world....NAY...NAY DO I USE PROP GAURDS NAYYYY!! ....so now you know..AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE

THE MORE YOU KNOW [emoji293].....

Hey Fatman Fantom I really appreciate your honesty so much that I sent your post to the FAA. Thank you for posting. [emoji106]

I got my prop guards directly from DJI and I'm having the same problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.