Removing Prop Guards

Reaction score
I got some prop guards for my P4. They went on very easily - snapped right on. I didn't have to remove any screws, punch anything out, or anything like that. Great. But now, I can't get them off. I'm trying to post a few photos but Photobucket seems to have changed somewhat since I was last there. Stand by for pics.

I notice that there are three or four (at least) different prop guards for the P4. They don't work the same way, I am finding out.
IMG_8113%20-%20Copy_zpsaedn01m2.jpg

Last edited:
From underneath you should see tab/clip setup, there should be a small clip you can push down to release it at the same time as pushing out the tab

This is what it looks like from underneath. There is no clip whatsoever.

This is what it looks like from underneath. There is no clip whatsoever.

Sorry about that, my reference was the genuine DJI prop guards

How do you install those, from the side ?

Does it hook onto the underside vent ?

I'd just pull up the tab piece near the arm vent and push down the main arm,
The tab piece near the vent has a vertical tab that goes into the screw hole, you need to pull that out and pivot the guard off

IMG_8117_zpskya3k2xy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pdmike
Sorry about that, my reference was the genuine DJI prop guards

How do you install those, from the side ?

Does it hook onto the underside vent ?

I'd just pull up the tab piece near the arm vent and push down the main arm, the reverse of what you did to install it

So these are NOT genuine, DJI prop guards? Boy - I got juked good. But they FIT, for Pete's sake. I just can't get 'em off. Very strange. I wasted half an hour chatting with a DJI customer support person who said I would have to return the drone to the factory. Right. When pigs fly.

I'll give your push/shove suggestion a shot and get back to ya. Thanks

So these are NOT genuine, DJI prop guards? Boy - I got juked good. But they FIT, for Pete's sake. I just can't get 'em off. Very strange. I wasted half an hour chatting with a DJI customer support person who said I would have to return the drone to the factory. Right. When pigs fly.

Definitely not the genuine guards, but they work just as well
The genuine guards are sleeker and follow the lines of the P4P

Buy Phantom 4 Series Propeller Guards

The tab piece near the vent has a vertical tab that goes into the screw hole, you need to pull that up and out and then pivot the guard off

upload_2017-12-22_15-28-33.jpeg

Here is why your push/shove won't work. Notice that the little, white cap on the left is hooked over the projection from the drone leg. That is what is preventing any movement of the prop guard.

Edit note: Hang on - let me digest your latest post. I think we are on the same wave length here ...

LOL- and let me guess they insisted you use the original packaging.....

As a general rule, things that clip on need more force to take off than install. If there is no obvious means of releasing a clip just apply pressure in the opposite direction to that applied to install them, perhaps you are being too gentle with it.

Definitely not the genuine guards, but they work just as well
The genuine guards are sleeker and follow the lines of the P4P

Buy Phantom 4 Series Propeller Guards

The tab piece near the vent has a vertical tab that goes into the screw hole, you need to pull that up and out and then pivot the guard off
"The tab piece near the vent" - can you be more specific? I can't find what you are referring to.
Are you talking about something that is in among all the little stick-me-ups that you see if you take the prop off?

"The tab piece near the vent" - can you be more specific? I can't find what you are referring to.
Are you talking about something that is in among all the little stick-me-ups that you see if you take the prop off?

Just lift this tab up out of the screw hole and pull the guard out horizontally
RC239-E-10-4 - Copy.jpg

LOL- and let me guess they insisted you use the original packaging.....

As a general rule, things that clip on need more force to take off than install. If there is no obvious means of releasing a clip just apply pressure in the opposite direction to that applied to install them, perhaps you are being too gentle with it.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure that if I applied any more force, something I wouldn't want to break would. It is acting as if, when I slipped it on, it caught on something that is now preventing me from getting it off - something that has to be released somehow if the guard is to be removed.

Just lift this tab up out of the screw hole and pull the guard out horizontally
View attachment 92445
Holy ****! NOBODY should have to go through something like that. I got one of 'em off and will be working on the other three as the evening wears on.

Needless to say, these guards go into the trash and I will be ordering GENUINE DJI prop guards. Are they easy to remove once you get them on?

And THANKS, man - you really did me a solid here!

Holy ****! NOBODY should have to go through something like that. I got one of 'em off and will be working on the other three as the evening wears on.

Needless to say, these guards go into the trash and I will be ordering GENUINE DJI prop guards. Are they easy to remove once you get them on?

And THANKS, man - you really did me a solid here!

The DJI guards are a bit tricky as well, they mount to a certain arm in a certain way, just like the propeller (black mark etc.) , the clear plastic piece at the tip of the arms has to be removed
you have to push the guards on until to feel the tab engaging (a click) into the hole created by removing the clear plastic pieces, to remove you have to release the tab from underneath and push it out.

The genuine guards look better, but they don't offer full protection front and back , but I guess that is what obstacle avoidance is for, also I suspect they are designed not to get in the way of the camera

FYI - I now see what the problem was. Here is a shot of the underside of the prop guard. Notice the little knob sticking up on the end.

upload_2017-12-22_15-49-30.jpeg

Here is a shot of the underside of the leg. Notice the little hole in front of the vents. Well, the little knob on the guard drops down into that hole and unless the under-tab is lifted enough to get the knob out of the hole, the guard isn't going anywhere. It's tough lifting the tab - I had to pry it up with a large, flat screwdriver, but once you know what to do, it's quite easy.
upload_2017-12-22_15-52-6.jpeg

WHEW! (I may not even have to get any new prop guards now.)

I only use them with people or animals around just in case there is a fly away
We aren't allowed to be closer than 30m to people

For test flights indoors they are pretty useful when your in ATTI mode

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl