(Remote p2v+) GS mission

DrD

Reaction score
Given: Ample battery power, GPS 6(+) sats available at all times --> The p2v+ flown down range to a point (where ample battery remains). A new home point is established there, via the S2 switch procedure. While hovering over the new home point, sufficient altitude, GPS, and battery remaining for the duration, at this point switching to vision 's ground station, can a remote flight plan be uploaded to the p2v+? (Fly to a point, set a new home point, upload mission, lose comm's, complete mission, return to home point, regain comm's and control, fly back to start position).

An example of what I am wondering here: A rock island exists just offshore. To video-circumnavigate the island, the aircraft will lose communication with the remote equipment. The ground station flight plan should complete the mission, returning to the new home point. Control is regained at some point when the aircraft emerges from behind the rock island, up to when it reaches the 'mission complete' home point.

Are remote flight plans something a stock p2v+, using the dji vision ground station, package supports?

Thanks,

-Dale-

I will have to try this idea on my next opportunity, since no has shared any information to the contrary. This method also might be useful to extend range limits that could otherwise be a problem.

I found this later on yesterday, and is very close to the problem I was trying to solve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt5RirTa2q8
Morro Bay parks has a legal reference about not disturbing wildlife at Morro Rock, so this location may well be a no fly zone. Sometimes it's hard to know for sure, and I don't want to be the one to test the boundaries!

I think it would work, but...
I would suggest you can try this on a smaller scale in a safe area. Just fly out some distance, hover, set up remote home point and a GS mission, fly the mission, take over and fly it back. You don't have to actually lose radio contact. It would make a good video and interesting report.

I don't understand. Why would you not be able to just set up the GS mission from where you're at?

A close by test is what I'm planning to try. Losing contact and re-gaining it at the revised home point is an important piece of the project, though. The purpose of my curiosity is to enable viewing the back-side of subject matter (otherwise inaccessible), thus making fully autonomous ground station flight plans fully so. So there are actually two points to resolve:

1. Remote upload of a GS flight plan.
2. LOS recovery (on mission complete) at the remotely set home point.

I'll have to try it one step at a time, to see if this idea is viable.

From an initial launch location, hitting the GS 'Go' button is delayed until the (new home point) starting point of the GS flight plan is reached. It's part of the, "I wonder if that would work ...," question. The idea is that a new 'down-range' home point is created where the GS flight plan begins, from a run that is already taking place. Let's say that you have reached a point prior to where the LOS might occur, and you want to start the GS mission from that point, extending beyond what you could reasonably depend on for control purposes. Largely an out of control-range flight mission.

planedr said:
I don't understand. Why would you not be able to just set up the GS mission from where you're at?

So he can fly around this island using waypoints and therefore going much further than standard TX control would allow - especially risking losing control behind the island when out of LOS. Let's say he's in FCC mode - he can fly out to (say) 600m and set the new home point. This new point then becomes the centre point for the ground station and he can set the mission up from there to fly out to the maximum circumference which would normally be outside the control range of the phantom. When the mission is complete he will be back at 600m and can regain control by flipping S1.

I think it's an interesting project. The only thing would be that the camera would be pointing ahead during the waypoints mission and not looking in towards the island.

I must be missing something. Interesting "I wonder if" question, but I also don't see the need to do that. If you start the GS mission at your RC location and have set waypoints around the rock island, the bird will fly out to the island, complete the mission, and return home even if it loses signal along the way. Is there a travel distance limit (battery life not a factor) for GS missions so that you'd want to start the mission 600m out? I'm new at this.

MapMaker53 said:
I must be missing something. Interesting "I wonder if" question, but I also don't see the need to do that. If you start the GS mission at your RC location and have set waypoints around the rock island, the bird will fly out to the island, complete the mission, and return home even if it loses signal along the way. Is there a travel distance limit (battery life not a factor) for GS missions so that you'd want to start the mission 600m out? I'm new at this.

What you are missing is that the start of the actual mission is beyond the 500m limit of the GS app. So he can't start from where he is. But he CAN fly out to 600m not using GS, make that the home point, program and complete the mission from the new home point, returning to the new home point at completion of mission, and then fly back to where he is not using GS.

A solution for camera orientation, within the limit of 15 waypoints, using a set of pyramid spaced waypoints to cover the back side. Most of the time would be spent flying towards the island. (Like a bow tie flight scheme).

Jstic said:
MapMaker53 said:

What you are missing is that the start of the actual mission is beyond the 500m limit of the GS app. So he can't start from where he is. But he CAN fly out to 600m not using GS, make that the home point, program and complete the mission from the new home point, returning to the new home point at completion of mission, and then fly back to where he is not using GS.

Well, that's the theory!

Jstic said:
MapMaker53 said:

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know the GS app had a 500m limit. Makes perfect sense now.

DrD said:
I will have to try this idea on my next opportunity, since no has shared any information to the contrary. This method also might be useful to extend range limits that could otherwise be a problem.

I found this later on yesterday, and is very close to the problem I was trying to solve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt5RirTa2q8
Morro Bay parks has a legal reference about not disturbing wildlife at Morro Rock, so this location may well be a no fly zone. Sometimes it's hard to know for sure, and I don't want to be the one to test the boundaries!

I think that if this guy would have use GS he would not have a fly away. Autonomous flight is "AUTONOMUS FLIGHT" it flies independently of tx rx from/to transmiter - range extender - quad . Visibility a the HARD ROCK is not a issue. You just regain control at hovering of your last waypoint that is on youe home point allways and land the quad.

What i am not undestanding about your question ? :geek:

I did a bit of testing last night - albeit with a P2V and not a + (it's awaiting a new range extender).

It's bloody difficult to see the rapid green flashing lights at anything over 30m distance - you might have problems knowing when the new home point has been set.

I then did a lot of resetting the home point closer to home, but EVERY time I either used home lock and back stick, or initiated RTH, it came back to the original home point - ie right beside me!

I tried S2 in all manner of flicking positions - top to middle rapidly, middle to bottom rapidly, top to bottom rapidly, but the results were the same every time. I could see the rapid greens, but it would not register a new home position.

On the waypoints page, the home spot was exactly where I took off. I could not reset it despite seeing the rapid greens on the aircraft.

I'm lost.

Once a GS is established and ready to go, you might not be able to override that with a different home point. Sort of makes sense because if it allowed you to do so, should the bird not regain RC signal again once it returned to the new home point after the mission (maybe some sort of interference or water surface reflection), the bird would land at that point in failsafe no matter what was under it.

Is it maybe possible to set the desired home point BEFORE setting up a GS route? Might be difficult to do that time-wise as the battery is being expended in flight.

MapMaker53 said:
Once a GS is established and ready to go, you might not be able to override that with a different home point. Sort of makes sense because if it allowed you to do so, should the bird not regain RC signal again once it returned to the new home point after the mission (maybe some sort of interference or water surface reflection), the bird would land at that point in failsafe no matter what was under it.

Is it maybe possible to set the desired home point BEFORE setting up a GS route? Might be difficult to do that time-wise as the battery is being expended in flight.

That's what he intends to do - fly out, set the new home point, input the ground station details from that new home point, execute the route around the island, regain control when it has finished and then return to where he is controlling from and land.

The problem with doing a test of this is that you have to fly out over 1650 feet from where you are and then reset home point and program GS mission. At that distance your quad is a tiny pinpoint against a blue sky, if you can see it at all. You have to rely totally on your screen telemetry and info. You also have to have a rock solid FPV wifi connection. I was going to try a test of this last nite, but I need to get out in the country to do it where I have much further range with my stock P2V+.

Setting a home point after flight begins seems to be a sticking point. I'm using Naza-M working mode, and the process of switching s2 (quickly 3 to 5 times), did not (dependably) activate the home point reset function. My original understanding was that IF you could remotely set a home point, the p2v+ could return to that home point and hover. I did not know that it would, shortly thereafter, land. Not a good feature for this purpose!

I did a little testing on my idea yesterday. I was able to start a pre-made ground station flight plan AFTER the flight had begun. The manually selected home point process created too much confusion for me, so I didn't continue the experiment.

The manual v1.4 [page 34] states that tapping the center of the radar screen would switch between the aircraft home point, and my mobile device location. This did not work on my Samsung Galaxy S5. Does anyone know if this feature is actually implemented?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.