Remote ID Phantom 3 Standard

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to the group, so please forgive me if I missed this discussion. I have two Phantom 3 Standard drones. I still want to fly them after the Remote ID deadline in September, because I simply can't afford to buy the "latest and greatest" DJI drones. Is there a Remote ID retrofit for my drones? Any help from any of you would be appreciated.

AFAIK these are the only 2 FAA approved modules.
The official list is here.

This Friday the FAA also approved the Dronetag BS ("Basic Solution") add-on module for Remote ID:
UAS Declaration of Compliance

They're on sale today only (it's already May 22 in Europe now) for €49 plus UPS shipping:
Dronetag Mini - Affordable Drone Remote Identification Add-On

I just ordered one, hopefully it's straightforward to interface with my Phantom 4. It's tiny and only 1 gram, I need to rig up some way to power it from the flight battery (solder on a JST?), and stick it on in a weather protected way (heatshrink?).

Did you order the external antenna required? Please keep us informed on the installation process, etc.

Did you order the external antenna required? Please keep us informed on the installation process, etc.
Yes, I got the combined antenna, which seems worth it for $7.

(After I placed the order I noticed the prices are the same number in euro or dollars, so I should really have picked dollars!)

I can post pictures as I integrate it into my airframe, which I'm also realizing is actually a Phantom 3 4K (W325). It looks like there's plenty of space around the flight battery to tuck in a tiny board, and the flight battery's electrical terminals have accessible solder blobs on the back, so it should be possible to just solder on new tiny wires to power the board.

Any updates on this? Are you having to rip apart your drone to install this thing?
The parts did arrive Friday (August 25). The board is *tiny*, and should be able to fit into the frame next to the battery terminals. I haven't decided how to run the antenna wires out, I might enlarge some of the existing vent holes to get them inside.

I think it's possible to power it directly from the flight battery, the board accepts 3.3 to 17 VDC and only pulls 15 mA. My Phantom 3 4K has accessible solder terminals, so I'm hoping I don't need to do any disassembly beyond taking the battery out.

I'll take pictures when I do the install, possibly this weekend.

Turns out you need an extra-tiny JST-SH (1.0mm pitch) 3-pin male cable to feed power to the dronetag BS board correctly.
Introduction | Dronetag Help
(If you have JST-SM (1.25mm pitch) cables for a PixHawk, those won't fit.)

If you didn't notice that documentation, and solder two jumper wires onto the large friendly solder pads on the back of the board, feeding it 12V that way appears to instantly brick the board. (Argh!)

Hi! I'm new to the group, so please forgive me if I missed this discussion. I have two Phantom 3 Standard drones. I still want to fly them after the Remote ID deadline in September, because I simply can't afford to buy the "latest and greatest" DJI drones. Is there a Remote ID retrofit for my drones? Any help from any of you would be appreciated.
Does a phantom 3 have a remote id

I ordered the Dronetag Beacon RID Broadcast Module units for my P3S and my Mavic Pro. They are about 6-8 weeks +/- backlogged with orders.

Dronetag Beacon RID Broadcast Module is what I have ordered for my P3S and Mavic Pro

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic